PDA

View Full Version : Official MMA Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

BengalMan
10-14-2008, 08:40 PM
Figured I would get this started up here.

Chris Leben vs. Mike Bisping this weekend. Thoughts?

I'm taking Leben in this one to upset the undefeated Bisping. Leben by KO in the 2nd.

NCRadioMan
10-15-2008, 09:41 AM
I hope Leban wins but there will be alot of home cooking for Bisping.

Diego Sanchez has torn rib cartlidge and is out of UFC 90 against Thiago Alves. Josh Koschek is now in. Even though I am a fan of Diego, I think this is a better fight.

Anderson Silva has virtually set a date for retirement!

by Marcelo Alonso (malonso@sherdog.com)

The talk started in late September.

That’s when Anderson Silva, the UFC middleweight champion regarded by many as the No. 1 pound-for-pound fighter in the world, said on a Brazilian TV show that he was going to retire in 2009.

Silva’s manager, Ed Soares, explained that his fighter would finish out the six remaining bouts on his UFC contract. Although Soares’ statement seemed to appease some fans, others understood that Silva’s retirement could still come soon even if he fights six more times.

“Everything has its time,” Silva told Sherdog.com in an exclusive video interview, “and I believe my time is already over.”

So what would be Silva’s next move if he does retire? Boxing maybe? Coaching?

“I’m going to be fat, with a big belly by the side of the Octagon, eating popcorn behind the scenes, making my imitations and screaming for the fighters: “Go there! Kick his face! Put him down!”

Silva, who is famous around the Brazilian fight scene for his uncanny impersonations of fighters and trainers, also discussed with Sherdog.com whether compensation has played a role in his decision as well as whether he has been motivated to train for his title defense against Patrick Cote on Oct. 25 at UFC 90.

UFC 89 card for this Saturday from the National Indoor Arena,
Birmingham, England:

Michael Bisping vs. Chris Leben
Brandon Vera vs. Keith Jardine
Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou vs. Luis Arthur Cane
Chris Lytle vs. Paul Taylor
Marcus Davis vs. Paul Kelly
Dan Hardy vs. Akihiro Gono
Jim Miller vs. David Baron
Shane Carwin vs. Neil Wain
Sam Stout vs. Terry Etim
Per Eklund vs. Samy Schiavo
Jess Liaudin vs. David Bielkheden

UFC 90 next Saturday from the Allstate Arean in Chicago:

Anderson Silva vs. Patrick Cote
Thiago Alves vs. Josh Koschek
Sean Sherk vs. Tyson Griffin
Fabricio Werdum vs. Junior dos Santos
Thales Leites vs. Goran Reljic
Spencer Fisher vs. Melvin Guillard
Gray Maynard vs. Rich Clementi
Hermes Franca vs. Gleison Tibau
Matt Horwich vs. Ricardo Almeida
Pete Sell vs. Josh Burkman

kgoings
10-15-2008, 09:44 AM
There are some great fights coming up in the next couple UFC's

TUFF is getting on my nerves, some good fighters but it has become all about the Drama. That blond kid looked like he had some serious skills and now his going to blow it. :bh

NCRadioMan
10-15-2008, 09:52 AM
Yeah, that kid is messed up. He should get the boot tonight after climbing the cage and acting like an idiot.

TriStar
10-15-2008, 06:11 PM
Junie better be gone tonight!!

e22byrnes
10-15-2008, 06:16 PM
I'm excited to see Tamdan Mccrory fight at UFC91. I trained at his school here in Binghamton for a while, and he is a good young fighter. I'm also even more excited to see Jon Jones to fight Stephan Bonnar in his return at UFC 94. Jon went to high school at my school's rival and we always wrestled against him. He was a great kid though and one of the only kids on that team I didn't despise.

Anyone else have ties to fighters currently on one of the big stages?

TriStar
10-15-2008, 06:29 PM
I train at Tristar Gym in Montreal. That's where Georges St-Pierre and David Loiseau train. Patrick Coté also makes an appearence once in awhile.

Tw3nty
10-15-2008, 07:50 PM
Yeah, that kid is messed up. He should get the boot tonight after climbing the cage and acting like an idiot.

Keep the kid. He is great for ratings. Maybe next time he will cute himself up and have to fight all messed up. The show is designed to make the fighters crazy. Let them b crazy then.

Tw3nty
10-15-2008, 07:51 PM
Figured I would get this started up here.

Chris Leben vs. Mike Bisping this weekend. Thoughts?

I'm taking Leben in this one to upset the undefeated Bisping. Leben by KO in the 2nd.

I like Leben, another crazy guy, but I thing Bisping will be too much for him. Leben is one dimensional and stubborn. He sticks to a fight path even if it is gonna fail him.

NCRadioMan
10-15-2008, 09:00 PM
Keep the kid. He is great for ratings. Maybe next time he will cute himself up and have to fight all messed up. The show is designed to make the fighters crazy. Let them b crazy then.

Drama queen! :p

Comicbookfreak
10-15-2008, 09:06 PM
Woulda been funny if Nog would took Junie down when he jumped the fence and submited him. Kids got very bad decision making skills.

Tw3nty
10-15-2008, 09:10 PM
Drama queen! :p

Its a tv show. Gotta love the drama baby. Plus, its the English teacher in me. Got to support the writers on the show.

TriStar
10-15-2008, 09:12 PM
I hope he get's an a$$ wooping next week lol. If Delgado's black belt in bjj isn't bogus, I'd love to see him get an arm-bar on Junie :D Probably won't happen though, Junie does look tough for a lightweight.

Tw3nty
10-15-2008, 09:14 PM
I hope he get's an a$$ wooping next week lol. If that guy's black belt in bjj isn't bogus, I'd love to see him get an arm-bar on Junie :D Probably won't happen though, Junie does look tough for a lightweight.

I think he beats Junie. He looked real solid in his other fight.

TriStar
10-15-2008, 09:17 PM
I think he beats Junie. He looked real solid in his other fight.

Ya he did. We'll see what happens. If Junie can't back his crap up, I will feel embarrassed for him. Looks like he struggles to cut weight too..

Tw3nty
10-15-2008, 09:23 PM
Ya he did. We'll see what happens. If Junie can't back his crap up, I will feel embarrassed for him. Looks like he struggles to cut weight too..

agreed. I will watch tonight's in a little while. I record them. Don't tell me what happened.

Hudaddy
10-15-2008, 09:24 PM
I like Leben, another crazy guy, but I thing Bisping will be too much for him. Leben is one dimensional and stubborn. He sticks to a fight path even if it is gonna fail him.

Leben has one power move. Hit the other guys fists as hard as he can with his big giant melon.

He's got heavy hands, a big boulder of a noggin, but short alligator arms.

I think Bisping is gonna take him.

BengalMan
10-15-2008, 09:33 PM
Nice to see this thread up and running! I left this morning and there were no posts, now there is 16!

TriStar
10-15-2008, 09:45 PM
Well everyone needs to get their post count up now since the slate was wiped clean lol :r :chr

phidelt076
10-16-2008, 12:19 AM

What ended up happening? My DVR cut off right as he got over the cage.

Comicbookfreak
10-16-2008, 12:38 AM
What ended up happening? My DVR cut off right as he got over the cage.

Nog pretty much just restrained him and he didn't get kicked off the show. Dana said he was lucky because the Athletic Commishioner happened not to be there or the Commish probably would have made him go home.

BengalMan
10-17-2008, 11:38 AM
I think Krystoff has a good chance of winning at 205 this season.

Tw3nty
10-17-2008, 12:26 PM
I think Krystoff has a good chance of winning at 205 this season.

I think the show has purposely not shown all of us the fighters. I think it is a little early to decide the best fighter. But, Krystoff does look good.

VirtualSmitty
10-17-2008, 01:36 PM
I think the show has purposely not shown all of us the fighters. I think it is a little early to decide the best fighter. But, Krystoff does look good.

:tpd: Agreed :usa

NCRadioMan
10-18-2008, 09:49 AM
UFC 89 card for tonight from the National Indoor Arena,
Birmingham, England:

Sam Stout vs. Terry Etim

Prediction winners in bold. Who you got?

BengalMan
10-18-2008, 12:47 PM
Honestly, the I have the exact same as you do. Nice picks.

NCRadioMan
10-18-2008, 01:52 PM
Honestly, the I have the exact same as you do. Nice picks.
Great minds and all. :tu

It's actually live right now but since I am at work I will settle for the replay.

Jdbwolverines
10-18-2008, 05:08 PM
I train at Tristar Gym in Montreal. That's where Georges St-Pierre and David Loiseau train. Patrick Coté also makes an appearence once in awhile.

Cote, got any tricks up his sleeve for Silva next weekend. While, I like him quite a bit, I don't think he has any shot against Silva unless Anderson completely under prepares for him.

Ron1YY
10-18-2008, 07:01 PM
UFC 89 card for tonight from the National Indoor Arena,
Birmingham, England:

Sam Stout vs. Terry Etim

Prediction winners in bold. Who you got?

I'm with you except for the Bisping fight. Other than that, we're right there

Ron

Tw3nty
10-18-2008, 08:14 PM
Great minds and all. :tu

It's actually live right now but since I am at work I will settle for the replay.

Where will u watch the replay so I can hope on too?

LordOfWu
10-18-2008, 08:17 PM

Do you train MMA or something more specific? Just curious if you're training to fight...

I am currently training Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu at Colorado BJJ with Big Mike Nickels, from the third season of TUFF. I am not training to fight, I'm just doing the BJJ stuff cause I love it.

NCRadioMan
10-18-2008, 08:28 PM
Where will u watch the replay so I can hope on too?
The replay is on Spike now. It was streaming live at 3pm today. It will replay again on Spike at 12:30 AM eastern.

Sokoudjou just got beat up. He didn't look like himself, to me.

Ron1YY
10-18-2008, 08:34 PM
Good card so far!!!!

The Lytle-Taylor fight was GREAT!!!!!

Ron

NCRadioMan
10-18-2008, 08:46 PM
Good card so far!!!!

The Lytle-Taylor fight was GREAT!!!!!

Ron

It was! Although, I didn't think Lytle won every round. Lytle should have taken him down early and subbed him, imo.

Ron1YY
10-18-2008, 08:47 PM
It was! Although, I didn't think Lytle won every round. Lytle should have taken him down early and subbed him, imo.

Truth be said, I don't think he won the fight.

Ron

NCRadioMan
10-18-2008, 08:49 PM
It was very close but I think he won the first two rounds. The last round was bad for him and I would like to smoke whatever that judge was smoking to give him that round.

TriStar
10-18-2008, 08:55 PM
Wow what a sick first round of the Jardine fight.

Ron1YY
10-18-2008, 08:56 PM
Vera - Jardine is looking good too

NCRadioMan
10-18-2008, 09:11 PM
As good as the first round was the next two were lackluster. I think this one should be a draw. Jardine in the first, Vera in second and even in the third.

Ron1YY
10-18-2008, 09:15 PM
At least it was a valid split

NCRadioMan
10-18-2008, 09:16 PM
Agreed. You need an avatar Ron. You look naked. :r

Ron1YY
10-18-2008, 09:19 PM
Agreed. You need an avatar Ron. You look naked. :r

Still copying stuff from somewhere else......

Beside, I like naked :r

NCRadioMan
10-18-2008, 09:23 PM
Why doesn't that surprise me. http://www.runemasterstudios.com/graemlins/images/smilielol.gif

TriStar
10-18-2008, 09:29 PM
Do you train MMA or something more specific? Just curious if you're training to fight...

I am currently training Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu at Colorado BJJ with Big Mike Nickels, from the third season of TUFF. I am not training to fight, I'm just doing the BJJ stuff cause I love it.

I box at the gym. I train for the sport and self defense. Before that I did Tea Kwon Do. I love sparring and do it for the exercise. I don't have any plans to fight, concentrating on school and working is enough on plate. I do plan to start Vale Tudo maybe next summer. I would need to take some private lessons in BJJ and wrestling first.

The ring, mats and bags are shared side by side with the guys training MMA/Vale Tudo. It's a huge space of maybe 75 people on a given week night with two rings. I take part in a 20 person training session and St-Pierre can be rolling on the mats across the room with his partners when he's in town.

Ron1YY
10-18-2008, 09:47 PM
Bisping is picking him apart.

NCRadioMan
10-18-2008, 09:52 PM
I was getting ready to post the same thing.

BengalMan
10-19-2008, 03:47 PM
Leben looks like the lost his killer instinct. It seems to me that he threw out his game plan that got him to where he is now, and that's letting his hands go. I can't even count how many time Leben had Bisping hurt with a big hit, and instead of following up, stayed back and let things calm down. Leben needs a good mix between his previous style, and his current technical style. Until he finds that, he will not win.

As far as Bisping goes, he has already been named one of the next TUF coaches. The other coach is between Rich Franklin and Hendo. Since Rich has already done TUF and has recently moved to 205, it's almost a lock that Hendo will be the other coach, making a Bisping vs Hendo fight which is kinda ****ed, since IMO, Bisping should be fighting Anderson next.

LordOfWu
10-19-2008, 08:04 PM
Leben looks like the lost his killer instinct. It seems to me that he threw out his game plan that got him to where he is now, and that's letting his hands go. I can't even count how many time Leben had Bisping hurt with a big hit, and instead of following up, stayed back and let things calm down. Leben needs a good mix between his previous style, and his current technical style. Until he finds that, he will not win.

As far as Bisping goes, he has already been named one of the next TUF coaches. The other coach is between Rich Franklin and Hendo. Since Rich has already done TUF and has recently moved to 205, it's almost a lock that Hendo will be the other coach, making a Bisping vs Hendo fight which is kinda ****ed, since IMO, Bisping should be fighting Anderson next.

I could see Bisping fighting Anderson but I think that fighting Hendo will prove that he's ready for that fight. I think it's a good call, to get Bisping a good fight at the highest level before fighting someone like Anderson. Not a knock on Bisping, but I don't think anyone he's fought could be considered at that level. :2

BengalMan
10-20-2008, 06:25 PM
Agreed Wu!

chippewastud79
10-21-2008, 10:17 AM
Koscheck unafraid of uphill climb (http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news?slug=dm-koscheck102008&prov=yhoo&type=lgns)

Koscheck agrees to two fights in six weeks. Koscheck v. Alvez Oct. 25 and then Koscheck v. Yoshida Dec. 10th. It sounds like if he can with them both he gets a shot at the winner of the Penn v. St. Pierre fight for the belt. :eek: :bx

I don't know much about trainning but I know that is going to be a fricken bear to accomplish. :hm

LordOfWu
10-23-2008, 03:40 PM
Koscheck unafraid of uphill climb (http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news?slug=dm-koscheck102008&prov=yhoo&type=lgns)

Koscheck agrees to two fights in six weeks. Koscheck v. Alvez Oct. 25 and then Koscheck v. Yoshida Dec. 10th. It sounds like if he can with them both he gets a shot at the winner of the Penn v. St. Pierre fight for the belt. :eek: :bx

I don't know much about trainning but I know that is going to be a fricken bear to accomplish. :hm

If he wins both fights he deserves it...that's two tough ones!

NCRadioMan
10-23-2008, 03:53 PM
Another example of the UFC being petty, imo:

MMAPayout.com has confirmed a rift between the UFC and MMA apparel and collectible company MMA Authentic, best known for its CageFighter brand. MMAPayout.com has learned through multiple sources that CageFighter and other MMA Authentics brands have been banned from the Octagon and any UFC event.

The dispute is rumored to have arisen from a conflict over shelf space in Wal-mart stores.............................

WTF?

http://www.mmalinker.com/xArticle.php?a=16333 (http://www.mmalinker.com/xArticle.php?a=16333)

Also, if anybody cares, Luke Cummo was arrested on a DWI charge last week.

chippewastud79
10-23-2008, 04:00 PM
If he wins both fights he deserves it...that's two tough ones!

Absolutely, there is no doubt. If he can beat those two solid opponents in 6 weeks time, then he is definitely the #1 contender :tu

LasciviousXXX
10-24-2008, 01:06 AM
So what do all my MMA bro's think about the demise of EliteXC? It definitely opens up the playing field for both the UFC and Affliction to bring on some new talent. Tom Atencio (VP for Affliction) has stated he may be interested in bringing Gina Carano and Chris Cyborg to their organization

NCRadioMan
10-24-2008, 09:18 AM
You could see it coming from a mile away, Dustin. If Affliction is smart, they will add a womens division. There are alot of really good women fighters out there.

jquirit
10-24-2008, 09:24 AM
So what do all my MMA bro's think about the demise of EliteXC? It definitely opens up the playing field for both the UFC and Affliction to bring on some new talent. Tom Atencio (VP for Affliction) has stated he may be interested in bringing Gina Carano and Chris Cyborg to their organization

I would love to see Affliction take on a women's MMA division. It seems there's enough talent to float around to keep good matches going without overworking a select few (though more matches involving Carano I'd never turn down.. eye candy). Plus, at least when EliteXC was holding them, some of the women's matches were better than the men's!

:r

chippewastud79
10-24-2008, 09:25 AM
The demise of EliteXC is not a suprise to people who have had interest in MMA before Elite came along. The list of fights was 'blah' and their headliner was a hack. Kimblow is likely back to the streets and most of the other fighters will be resigned to bar sponsored MMA events. The saddest part about this is that the womens division could go back into obscurity, because some of them are talented and I think Dana may be missing out by refusing to let women fight in the UFC. :hm

Tw3nty
10-24-2008, 10:03 AM
You could see it coming from a mile away, Dustin. If Affliction is smart, they will add a womens division. There are alot of really good women fighters out there.

I agree. The women's fights are better than the guy fights 90% of the time.

Jay Hemingway
10-24-2008, 10:10 AM
hey fellers!
i asked this in another thread but got no answer.
i know there is a site that you can watch all of the UFC fights after they air, for free. it is like a forum or something like that.

can anyone tell me what it is?
or where i can check out the fights afterwards?

thanks! :tu

jay hemingway
:bx

VirtualSmitty
10-24-2008, 10:11 AM

:tpd: I actually found the womens division pretty interesting, hope Affliction will indeed add one in.

NCRadioMan
10-24-2008, 10:13 AM
hey fellers!
i asked this in another thread but got no answer.
i know there is a site that you can watch all of the UFC fights after they air, for free. it is like a forum or something like that.

can anyone tell me what it is?
or where i can check out the fights afterwards?

thanks! :tu

jay hemingway
:bx
Try mmalinker.com Sanchez. They have tons of vids from lots of fighters. You can also see the fights live on channelsurfing.net

NCRadioMan
10-24-2008, 10:20 AM
Along with Gina, check out Michelle "The Karate Hottie" Waterson. She is a good fighter too!

http://www.xfalive.com/images/fighters/waterson/michelle_waterson3_lrg.jpg

chippewastud79
10-24-2008, 10:24 AM
Channelsurfing.net is showing the replay of it tonight at 10pm EST I watch a lot of out-of-market basketball and hockey, plus most UFC PPV's on there. :tu

kayaker
10-24-2008, 10:25 AM
Whoa!:dr

I love hot women who can kick my butt.

Is that a fetish thing?:D

NCRadioMan
10-24-2008, 10:28 AM
Channelsurfing.net is showing the replay of it tonight at 10pm

That is actually the Spike TV feed. If you click that now, you get Spike TV live.

kayaker
10-24-2008, 10:37 AM
Well, I'm pretty stoked about the fights tomorrow night. I hope Cote gives a good showing (gotta give props to a fellow canuk), but I expect Silva will knock him into next week. You never know what's going to happen, but that's my guess.

Some other interesting fights too.

Ken
10-24-2008, 01:09 PM
I'm taking;

Silva
Koscheck
Maynard
Werdum
Griffin

NCRadioMan
10-24-2008, 01:23 PM
UFC 90 Saturday from the Allstate Arean in Chicago:

Thiago Alves vs. Josh Koschek

My picks in bold.

BengalMan
10-24-2008, 09:03 PM
My picks in bold:

Thiago Alves vs. Josh Koschek (this I think will be fight of the night, but I think Alves will KO Kos at some point in the 3rd at the latest)

Ron1YY
10-25-2008, 08:39 PM
WOW!!!! Great fight!!!!! I'm not sure about a unanimous decision, but a great fight!!!!

NCRadioMan
10-25-2008, 08:54 PM
That was a great first fight, Ron!

Wow! Santos with the KO! :bx

So far I am 0-2. That's about right. :r

Ron1YY
10-25-2008, 09:06 PM
I would never have seen the santos coming!!!!! Sick hit though

BengalMan
10-25-2008, 09:46 PM
That Santos KO was SICK! Sherk fight was a WAR. Maynard fight I didn't care much for. Kos fight so far has been very good.

Ron1YY
10-25-2008, 09:54 PM
Alves-Koschek looks like fight of the night so far

BengalMan
10-25-2008, 09:54 PM
Helluva fight!

NCRadioMan
10-25-2008, 09:55 PM
Alright! I got one right! :r Alves was awesome.

You think so Ron? Better than the first fight? Kos didn't have anything for Alves, imo.

BengalMan
10-25-2008, 10:04 PM
Kos didn't do a lot of damage, but damn he took some licks and kept on going. For all the times he got BLASTED and kept fighting and made it go to decision, I think it's definitely between the Kos fight and the Sherk fight as FOTN. Santos will definitely get the KO of the night.

Ron1YY
10-25-2008, 10:13 PM
We'll see....Sherk fight was a great fight. So was the Alves fight. I gotta give it to Kos, He just kept on coming and didn't stop.

BengalMan
10-25-2008, 10:27 PM
Cote is one tough cookie.

BengalMan
10-25-2008, 10:29 PM
Wow, that really sucks!

NCRadioMan
10-25-2008, 10:30 PM
Well..............that sux!

Ron1YY
10-25-2008, 10:32 PM
Damn shame.... I was really into that fight

LasciviousXXX
10-25-2008, 10:34 PM
That totally sucked! Cote was holding his own against Silva. Just too bad, really too bad.

I did enjoy the Sherk fight though, really entertaining

Ron1YY
10-25-2008, 10:36 PM
Hey Dustin!!!!!

BengalMan
10-25-2008, 10:41 PM
Very unfortunate for Cote. I wish we could get a rematch, but to be honest, Silva will likely be retired by the time Cote comes back from a knee injury that bad.

LasciviousXXX
10-25-2008, 11:47 PM
Hey bro, how's it going?

Enjoyed the Kos fight, thought he tried hard but ended up getting outclassed.

TriStar
10-26-2008, 12:11 AM
Gotta give Kos credit for only two weeks notice. Not that bad of a card, very unfortunate for Cote. I did find Anderson was putting on a show. He could have landed a lot more in the first 10 minutes. It's like he wanted to make it last. Sherk vs Griffin was fight of the night for me. What a great way to start the live card off. I was so annoyed by the referee in the Clementi fight. "Let's go guys.. Work guys... Come on guys... Let's go guys.." He even told them to work as they advanced position on the ground. Like come on did this guy come from Boxing? It's MIXED martial arts for a reason. Lol damn... I miss Big John...

RHNewfie
10-27-2008, 07:16 PM
Yeah, who were those refs anyway!! I heard Big John was coming back...

Sad about Cote indeed, he was doing ok.

Koscheck, although I am not a fan, did alright. However, I don't think he went to his wrestling as much as he should have. But mad props for his recover-ability...

GSP is gonna have some fun with Alves, but I am still sure George will win! Uh, unless BJ poses a problem --> Naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhh!

LasciviousXXX
10-27-2008, 07:52 PM
I was actually very impressed with Alves' take down defense, it pretty much neutralized Kos's ground game.

And while I do anticipate a win for GSP if he were to fight Alves I think it would be an all out war. GSP would need to find a way to counter those low leg kicks and turn it into a shoot opportunity for himself in order to fully capitalize on that opening.

Jay Hemingway
10-28-2008, 11:05 AM
Try mmalinker.com Sanchez. They have tons of vids from lots of fighters. You can also see the fights live on channelsurfing.net

thanks mcgee!! :tu

MileHighGolfer
10-28-2008, 11:06 AM
I was actually very impressed with Alves' take down defense, it pretty much neutralized Kos's ground game.

i agree with that. Kos was looking frustrated that he couldnt get him down when he wanted to

LasciviousXXX
10-28-2008, 04:53 PM
Have you guys checked out new UFC 91 Website?

http://91.ufc.com/

Looks like Couture's really beefed up for this fight. I read an interview where he's been training with 245lb+ guys at Xtreme Couture to try and get used to the weight difference. Glad to see he's taking it seriously.

WAR COUTURE!!!!!

Ron1YY
10-28-2008, 05:18 PM
Have you guys checked out new UFC 91 Website?

http://91.ufc.com/

Looks like Couture's really beefed up for this fight. I read an interview where he's been training with 245lb+ guys at Xtreme Couture to try and get used to the weight difference. Glad to see he's taking it seriously.

WAR COUTURE!!!!!

Dustin, Do you know which Xtreme couture location he is training at? One of them is walking distance from the office I work at and it would be KICK AZZ to go see him train for this!!!!

Eon

BengalMan
10-29-2008, 07:40 AM
Dustin,

The UFC91 website is clearly the work of cameras and perception. They put Randy in the foreground so he appears bigger and taller, putting Brock in the backround, somewhat covered up and looking shorter.

I agree, Randy will come into this fight bigger than normal and prepared, but I think we will see a more substantial size difference when they square up and go into a clinch.

Regardless, this is going to be a VERY entertaining and interesting fight for sure.

Comicbookfreak
10-29-2008, 08:05 AM
I can't wait for UFC 91. Wouldn't it be something if Lesnar beat Randy then Mir beats Nog, then we would see a rematch or Lesnar/Mir. I think Randy will have his hands full with Brock, but I wouldn't bet against him. Brock keeps improving with every fight. And he is so damn big he has to cut weight just to fight Heavyweight. I hate that rule. Sorry, but if you fight heavyweight there should be no weight limit.

NCRadioMan
10-29-2008, 09:57 AM
There are fumors flying that The Iceman will fight The Spider in Feb. :eek:

One last attempt for Chuck to be on top. :rolleyes:

kayaker
10-29-2008, 10:00 AM
That would be a great fight, but we now know how chuck gets beat. I think the Spider would take this one, but it's another battle of counter strikers.

NCRadioMan
10-30-2008, 06:08 PM
Coming this Saturday morning:

Takanori Gomi, widely considered to be the second best lightweight in the world (BJ Penn is first), will compete at Sengoku 6 on November 1 in Saitama, Japan.
Gomi will be facing Sergey Golyaev of the Red Devil Sports Club.
Sengoku had planned for Gomi to next fight at Sengoku 7, but Gomi, who was frustrated with his last performance, insisted on fighting at Sengoku 6 because he wanted a clear victory heading into a championship bout at Sengoku 7.
"When I was fighting in PRIDE Bushido, I was in great condition," Gomi said. "Therefore, I want to keep fighting without taking a long break like I did in Bushido. As long as I get an opportunity, I would like to keep fighting as much as I can. This way is much easier for me to maintain the condition. I have been in good condition after SENGOKU.5. I'm ready to fight anytime and I only need to adjust my weight."
Golyaev (10-6) is on a 3-fight winning streak, but hasn't fought since December 2, 2006. He has lost all his fights against notable opponents such as Rich Clementi, Joachim Hansen and Kurt Pellegrino.
Sengoku 6 will feature the semifinals and final of the event's lightweight and middleweight tournaments.
-------
World Victory Road: Sengoku 6
Saturday, November 1, 2008
Saitama Super Arena in Saitama, Japan

Middleweight Grand Prix
Yuki Sasaki vs. Kazuhiro Nakamura
Jorge Santiago vs. Siyar Bahadurzada
Joe Doerksen vs. Izuru Takeuchi (Reserve)

Lightweight Grand Prix
Satoru Kitaoka vs. Eiji Mitsuoka
Kazunori Yokota vs. Mizuto Hirota
Bang Seung Hwan vs. Jorge Masvidal (Reserve)

Non-Tournament Bouts:
Muhammed "King Mo" Lawal vs. Fabio Silva
Josh Barnett vs. TBA

These Sengoku cards are always entertainig.

BengalMan
10-30-2008, 09:11 PM
Will Kimblow ever go away:

http://mmamania.com/2008/10/30/kimbo-slice-vs-seth-petruzelli-rematch-rumored-for-new-years-eve-in-japan/

Kimbo Slice (3-1) is eyeing a return to action against the man who defeated him in just 14 seconds at Elite XC: “Heat” on October 4, Seth “The Silverback” Petruzelli (10-4), according to an interview in a recent article with the Sun-Sentinel.

The possible destination for the rematch is the DREAM K-1 New Year’s Eve event in Japan.

Petruzelli was a last minute replacement for an injured Ken Shamrock when he faced Kimbo the first time around. He stunned the bearded brawler and an arena full of his hometown faithful that night by landing a straight right directly on the button and finishing him off in only 14 seconds.

The win didn’t come without some negative effects for Petruzelli, however. He made some comments on an Orlando morning radio program two days later that reeked of possible match fixing. The interview sparked an investigation into Elite XC and later was among the contributing causes to the promotion going under.

Regardless, Petruzelli was quick to say he would give Slice a rematch at the post event presser in Sunrise. And realistically it was only a matter of time before the fight was inked. But with the demise of the promotion, it was uncertain whether or not Petruzelli vs. Kimbo II would ever happen.

Both fighters are free agents now (or will be soon) and if this latest report is active, we’ll be seeing the two square off again before the end of 2008.

Petruzelli is a wrestling and karate expert who likes to finish his opponents with his striking. Nine times he’s had his hand raised because of a knockout. His only losses in his eight-year career have come to UFC veterans Gan McGee, Mario Neto, Matt Hamill and Wilson Gouveia.

Kimbo made his mark on the entertainment world by knocking out dudes in Miami backyards. By airing the footage on YouTube.com he became an overnight celebrity and fighting professionally soon became his calling.

He enlisted the help of legendary mixed martial artist Bas Rutten as his head trainer and he’s been training consistently for more than two years now. His first setback was the loss to Seth and it’ll be interesting to see how he responds in his next fight … especially if it’s a rematch with “The Silverback.”

Also rumored to be competing on the DREAM K-1 New Year’s Eve event are Joachim Hansen, Hayato “Mach” Sakurai, Kazushi Sakuraba, Shinya Aoki, Tatsuya Kawajiri, Mitsuhiro Ishida, Masakazu Imanari, Takeshi Yamazaki, Atsushi Yamamoto, Kuniyoshi Hironaka, Minowaman, Kiyoshi Tamura, Seichi Ikemoto, Yuichi Nakanishi, Yasuhiro Kido, Yoshihiro Sato, Norifumi “KID” Yamamoto, Caol Uno, Hideo Tokoro, Masakatsu Funaki, Katsuyori Shibata, Junichi Sawayashiki, Taishin Kohiruimaki, Mirko “Cro Cop” Filipovic, Gegard Mousasi and Hong Man Choi.

Star studded to say the least.

With a lineup like this, it’s safe to say Kimbo and Seth won’t be main eventing this one. If so, it will be the first time in his career that the Miami native was not the headliner.

We’ll keep you posted on more news regarding this fight and event as it’s announced.

LasciviousXXX
10-31-2008, 07:00 PM
Anyone watching Sengoku tonight?

NCRadioMan
10-31-2008, 10:18 PM
I'm looking for a stream.

NCRadioMan
10-31-2008, 10:36 PM
Found a couple. Starts at 3am.

NCRadioMan
11-02-2008, 09:50 AM
I only got through half the event before falling asleep. I caught the rest of the fights later. A pretty solid show! It looks to me, on the whole, these guys are much more technically proficient than the fighters over here. Then again hasn't that always beent he case in Japan.

Oh, another update on liars at EliteXC. Seth had no KO bonus in the contract as the organization had claimed. :rolleyes:
http://www.mmaconvert.com/2008/10/27/exclusive-no-knockout-bonus-included-in-petruzellis-contract-as-lappen-claimed/

Another update provided in the link says there may have been a bonus but I wouldn't believe those idiots if they told me the sky was blue.

BengalMan
11-03-2008, 03:58 PM
Chris Leben tests positive for steroids:
http://mmamania.com/2008/11/03/chris-leben-tests-positive-for-steroids-and-is-suspended-for-nine-months-after-ufc-89-loss/

Chris Leben tested positive for Stanazolol in a test administered by UFC on the day of his fight with Michael Bisping on 10/18 in Birmingham, England. Leben, who lost a three-round decision, has been suspended for nine months by UFC and fined one-third of his undisclosed purse.”

More on this breaking news shortly.

LAME!!

Ron1YY
11-03-2008, 05:40 PM
Chris Leben tests positive for steroids:
http://mmamania.com/2008/11/03/chris-leben-tests-positive-for-steroids-and-is-suspended-for-nine-months-after-ufc-89-loss/

Chris Leben tested positive for Stanazolol in a test administered by UFC on the day of his fight with Michael Bisping on 10/18 in Birmingham, England. Leben, who lost a three-round decision, has been suspended for nine months by UFC and fined one-third of his undisclosed purse.”

More on this breaking news shortly.

LAME!!

That sucks to hear!!! I like Leben as a fighter, but lost alot of respect in him for this :mad:

BengalMan
11-07-2008, 12:19 PM
Wow, anyone see the WEC card on Wednesday? MY LORD! Faber get's TKO'ed, Jens Pulver gets destroyed, and Paulo Filho goes absolutely bananas and talks to people that aren't there and looked like garbage.

NCRadioMan
11-07-2008, 01:33 PM
Garbage is a compliment to his actions. What a horrible preformance. First, he doesn't make weight then that. Terrible. Both Faber and Pulver got owned!

http://i38.tinypic.com/2hxor3d.jpg (http://www.mma-core.com/gifs/GifDetails.aspx?gid=10000489&tid=100)

Jdbwolverines
11-09-2008, 01:02 AM
The Faber fight really surprised me. He got rocked hard. As much as I like him, Jens is well past his prime. The way Filho acted out there was ridiculous. He needs professional help. Also, I have no idea how the title holder can't make weight for a fight. That is just unacceptable.

kayaker
11-09-2008, 08:18 AM
Also, I have no idea how the title holder can't make weight for a fight. That is just unacceptable.

I agree. I think he should automatically lose the belt. He said he is giving the belt to Chonnen anyways, but I don't know how official that is. He is also considering a move to 205.

Whatever. He's seemed really messed up in the head for the last year or so.

Darrell
11-09-2008, 05:57 PM
UFC 91's MAIN EVENT is going to be interesting. Couture vs. Lesnar.

NCRadioMan
11-10-2008, 09:01 AM
UFC 91's MAIN EVENT is going to be interesting. Couture vs. Lesnar.
I can't wait. Looks like a good card overall but this main event is, like you said, interesting. Very interesting.

More on EliteXC:
The California State Athletic Commission on Wednesday suspended promoter licenses for both Pro Elite and King of the Cage in its jurisdiction, sounding yet another strike against the all-but-expired organization that went into a tailspin on Oct. 20 after a deal for its purchase by Showtime fell through.

The primary reason that Pro Elite/Elite XC's and King of the Cage's licenses have been placed on suspension is because of their financial states and the fact that Pro Elite, the owner of King of the Cage, has suspended operations and their tangible and intangible assets are being auctioned on November 17, wrote CSAC Executive Officer Armando Garcia in an email to Sherdog.com on Thursday.

Garcia wrote that the CSACs decision was based on a review of the facts and was not stimulated by any outside influence.

Pro Elites suspension wouldnt seem to have much impact on a company over $55 million in debt that was recently forced to close down its operations. However, it could serve to bolster breach of contract claims filed after Oct. 20 with Pro Elite by numerous EliteXC-contracted fighters who are looking to exit the failed promotion as quickly as possible to take assignments with rival promotions.

Fighters like EliteXC middleweight champion Robbie Lawler and welterweight champion Jake Shields have given Pro Elite 30 days to provide proof that they can honor the fighters contracts per their agreements. Though Pro Elite released replies to select fighters last week stating they were still in business and planning an event in early 2009, the companys has now lost its ability to host events in the state that houses its headquarters. Pro Elite held 7 of its 17 EliteXC and ShoXC events in California during its 22-month run.

If they can show me proof they within the 30 days that they can provide me two more fights, then Ill happily fulfill the two fights and my end of the bargain, Shields said Wednesday. But if they cant fulfill what they claim in the contract, then I consider them in a breach. If theyre willing to offer me fights, Ill definitely do it per the contract, but at this point, this doesnt seem realistic.

In the meantime, Shields was one of handful of fighters whose contract has been listed up for grabs at a public auction sale organized by Showtime on Nov. 17 at a law office in Los Angeles.

Showtime, a subsidiary of CBS, has claimed all tangible and intangible assets of Pro Elite, which it said defaulted on two promissory notes totaling $4 million that it lent to the promotion on June 18 and Sept. 10. In addition to airing EliteXC and ShoXC events on its channel, Showtime also had a 20% stake in the company prior to the promotions recent demise.

According to recent Securities and Exchange Commission filings, Showtime gave notice to Pro Elite on Oct. 16 that the promotion violated a term of its agreement requiring it to maintain a minimum bank balance of at least $550,0000 with a nationally recognized financial institution. Pro Elite has an outstanding balance of $6.3 million with the cable channel, and any default on the loans would give Showtime the ability to sell or assign the promotions collateral at its discretion, according to the filings.

Advertisements placed Tuesday on Sherdog.com announced the sale of fight contracts for Kevin Kimbo Slice Ferguson, Gina Carano, Shields, Lawler, Frank Shamrock, Antonio Silva, Brett Rogers, Dave Herman, Scott Smith, Nick Diaz, Eddie Alvarez and others, along with Pro Elites video library, still photographs and home videos also listed for purchase. (Sherdog.coms advertising, including its assignments and revenue intake, are under the sole ownership of Crave Online.)

Attempts to obtain a complete list of items up for auction were unsuccessful, though EliteXC champion Shields believes any sales made will not be enforceable.

To see us on sale online is ridiculous, said Shields. We already sent them a breach of contract letter. They dont respond to that. Instead they put this up. Its just completely ridiculous how theyre handling this situation and completely unprofessional. They should be in contact with us fighters and letting us know whats going on instead of just putting things online and not responding to our faxes, emails, and phone calls.

Both Pro Elite CEO Chuck Champion and Showtime representative Chris DeBlasio have not returned calls from Sherdog.com for comment.

However, an SEC filing made by Pro Elite on Thursday stated that, The Company plans to take all appropriate measures to prevent the sale from occurring by raising additional financing, filing a lawsuit enjoining the sale, filing a bankruptcy petition or negotiating a settlement with Showtime.

Monte Cox, who manages two fighters listed on the auction block in Lawler and Alvarez, said he wasnt sure Showtime had a right to the contracts and has taken a buyer beware attitude with the potential sale.

I find it interesting, said Cox. Nobody knows what theyre getting, so Id be kind of surprised if any contracts get bought. You dont know what youre getting.

As an example, Cox said Alvarezs contract is set up to where a potential buyer will have to rotate the popular fighters bouts over two years time with three other promotions -- Japans Dream, Adrenaline MMA and Extreme Challenge. The latter two promotions are owned by Cox.

TJ Thompson, who sold his Icon Sport promotion to Pro Elite last year, said he might attend the auction to try and purchase back his company. Originally operating under the Superbrawl name, Thompson grew Icon Sport into the leading entity in Hawaii over 13 years.

Who would want to buy [Icon Sport">? asked Thompson. Without me, the Icon name isnt really of value. So anyone that wanted to buy it would have to find me anyway.

Cox, who has managed over 60 fighters over the last 11 years, said the 15-year-old sport has entered new territory with Showtimes intentions to auction off his clients contracts. Cox and others have their doubts that the sale of a personal services contract will be upheld in a court of law.

Ive never been in this situation before, so I just dont have an idea what can or cant be done, said Cox.

After meeting with multiple lawyers, Shields is more certain of his stance. Believing the breach of his contract takes precedence over Showtimes claims for it, Shields said he will give Pro Elite the full 30 days to provide proof they can honor his contract, or then make the rounds to other promotions in two weeks.

Getting worked up over it isnt going to do any good, he said. Im just going to let it go its course and Im pretty sure something is going to work out.

Whether other promotions will be willing to court the EliteXC contingent of fighters after the Showtime auction and Pro Elites 30-day response period expires remains a question.

kayaker
11-11-2008, 01:47 PM
GSP vs BJ is official for UFC 94.

That could be an early entry for fight of the year.

http://www.ufc.com/index.cfm?fa=news.detail&gid=15765

NCRadioMan
11-11-2008, 02:32 PM
GSP vs BJ is official for UFC 94.

That could be an early entry for fight of the year.

http://www.ufc.com/index.cfm?fa=news.detail&gid=15765
That will be a great fight!

UFC 91 is this Saturday night!

http://www.mmalinker.com/wiki/images/2/21/Ufc_91_Small_Poster.jpg
UFC Heavyweight Championship
Randy Couture vs. Brock Lesnar

Joe Stevenson vs. Kenny Florian
Nate Quarry vs. Demian Maia
Dustin Hazelett vs. Tamdan McCrory
Amir Sadollah vs. Nick Catone
Gabriel Gonzagavs. Josh Hendricks
Jorge Gurgel vs. Aaron Riley
Mark Bocek vs. Alvin Robinson
Matt Riddle vs. Ryan Thomas
Jeremy Stephens vs. Rafael dos Anjos

Scratch Sadollah! He is injured.

Starscream
11-11-2008, 03:40 PM
Couture or Lesnar?

My money is on Couture but I wouldn't count Lesnar out. Both are pure beasts.

NCRadioMan
11-11-2008, 03:52 PM
Yeah Andy, I feel the same way. I think Lesnar will win but I have no doubt that Couture could win too. It's gonna be good.

kayaker
11-11-2008, 04:36 PM
I'm hoping Couture will win. I'd like to see him and Big Nog fight.

Lesnar is a beast though.

LordOfWu
11-11-2008, 04:43 PM
Randy Couture vs. Brock Lesnar

Joe Stevenson vs. Kenny Florian
Nate Quarry vs. Demian Maia
Dustin Hazelett vs. Tamdan McCrory
Amir Sadollah vs. Nick Catone
Gabriel Gonzagavs. Josh Hendricks
Jorge Gurgel vs. Aaron Riley
Mark Bocek vs. Alvin Robinson
Matt Riddle vs. Ryan Thomas
Jeremy Stephens vs. Rafael dos Anjos

Not that I'm qualified to an opinion, but of the fights I know anything about, here's how I'd pick 'em. Randy just cause I want him to win, and Joe because of a gut feeling.

BengalMan
11-11-2008, 04:55 PM
Amir Sadollah has pulled out of the fight due to a leg infection and due to how close the fight is, a replacement was not found and the fight was called off.

CBI_2
11-11-2008, 05:12 PM
Have only seen Lesner a couple of times. An animal that's tough to handle physically but if he makes a mistake and leaves himself open Couture will definitely exploit it.

Lesner's comparative youth and strength will be difficult to overcome though.

chippewastud79
11-11-2008, 05:37 PM
I really think Lesnar is going to win that fight. He has amazing wrestling and quickness. Last fight he just decided to toy with his opponent for 3 rounds, I think he could do the same thing to Couture.

Not to write off Couture as too old, but I really think that Lesnar is the up-and-comer of the Heavyweight division. There is a reason he has a title shot after over 3 fights, its no coincidence that this kid can fight. :2

For what its worth, just for giggles, I would like to see Dana sign Kimblow for one fight against Lesnar and watch him get wrecked. :bx

CBI_2
11-11-2008, 05:51 PM
For what its worth, just for giggles, I would like to see Dana sign Kimblow for one fight against Lesnar and watch him get wrecked. :bx
:tpd::r:r:r:r:r Would be awesome.

BengalMan
11-11-2008, 07:35 PM
Dana actually spoke out about Kimbo. He said if Kimbo wants to be in the UFC, he would have to fight his way in on The Ultimate Fighter. Dana said he would have a HW season if Kimbo decided he wanted to join the UFC. lol.

kayaker
11-11-2008, 07:43 PM
I think Kimbo could end up being a decent fighter, especially if he keeps training with Bas. He's just a ways off from deserving the attention he's been getting.

I doubt very much he'll end up in the UFC, at least any time soon.

If he wanted to go for bigger bucks, I could almost see him going the Pro wrestling route. His internet posse would probably go in for that sort of thing.

LordOfWu
11-11-2008, 10:16 PM

I think he could sign him for a fight w/ just about any of the UFC heavy weights and Kimbo would get wrecked! And it would be short! I'd like to see Arlovski back in UFC after a couple of wins.

kayaker
11-13-2008, 11:42 AM
Wow. Would YOU like to party with Gina Carano (http://mixedmartialartvideos.com/2008/11/13/gina-carano-drunk-partying-photos/)?

MileHighGolfer
11-13-2008, 01:23 PM
Wow. Would YOU like to party with Gina Carano (http://mixedmartialartvideos.com/2008/11/13/gina-carano-drunk-partying-photos/)?

lol

yes

RHNewfie
11-13-2008, 07:17 PM
Everyone ready for Saturday? So who's it gonna be? Randy or Brock?

kayaker
11-13-2008, 08:33 PM
Could go either way, but I'm hoping Randy schools 'em.

Tw3nty
11-14-2008, 07:35 AM
I have been wanting to post this thought for a while. I am nervous posting it, cause I do not want it to be interpreted wrong.

I believe MMA is becoming a legit sport, and for it to become a legit sport, we have to believe Randy is going to win.

I know Brock is big, but his record is 1-1 or 2-1. Either way he has not proven he is good enough to fight the champ. If Brock wins, then there is no legitimacy to the sport.

That means any big guy with any minimal skill--I say minimal because he has not fought or wrestled competitively in years--can hop into the ring and beat the champ.

Because of this, I believe the only way to believe that the sport is legit is to believe the champ will win.

Now, I know any guy, in a contact sport, can beat any guy on any given day---I saw rocky---but, we have to think that Randy has the best shot at winning because of his experience and being the current undefeated champ.

I am not trying to raise a rucus...I just think the sport is real and a guy cant get a title shot who has lost a fight in his 2 or 3 fight campaign to the belt just because he is big and strong.

Hope I did not offend anyone.

kgoings
11-14-2008, 08:09 AM
I have been wanting to post this thought for a while. I am nervous posting it, cause I do not want it to be interpreted wrong.

I believe MMA is becoming a legit sport, and for it to become a legit sport, we have to believe Randy is going to win.

I know Brock is big, but his record is 1-1 or 2-1. Either way he has not proven he is good enough to fight the champ. If Brock wins, then there is no legitimacy to the sport.

That means any big guy with any minimal skill--I say minimal because he has not fought or wrestled competitively in years--can hop into the ring and beat the champ.

Because of this, I believe the only way to believe that the sport is legit is to believe the champ will win.

Now, I know any guy, in a contact sport, can beat any guy on any given day---I saw rocky---but, we have to think that Randy has the best shot at winning because of his experience and being the current undefeated champ.

I am not trying to raise a rucus...I just think the sport is real and a guy cant get a title shot who has lost a fight in his 2 or 3 fight campaign to the belt just because he is big and strong.

No offense here. Lesner has showed some skill but I certainly dont think he deserves a shot this early. And I can't stand the whole 'Wrestling' persona he puts on when he wins, grabing the mike and yelling like he is on WWE.

MileHighGolfer
11-14-2008, 08:16 AM
no offense here and im even willing to up it slightly..

it had to suck for randy to be put in a place to legitimize this freakshow that is lesnar... talk about pwnage by UFC... randy tried so hard to get out of his contract with them so he could move on in the spirit of MMA and fight worthy opponents..obviously, they kept winning the legal battles. White basically said, look if you ever want to fight again you have to complete this contract and now as an added twist, you have to legitimize my freak.. then you only have 1 more fight on your contract with the UFC and maybe we will try and make Fedor happen for you...(not likely)

icehog3
11-14-2008, 09:46 AM
No offense here. Lesner has showed some skill but I certainly dont think he deserves a shot this early. And I can't stand the whole 'Wrestling' persona he puts on when he wins, grabing the mike and yelling like he is on WWE.

It's all about the money for Dana. :2

Ken
11-14-2008, 02:47 PM
I believe MMA is becoming a legit sport, and for it to become a legit sport, we have to believe Randy is going to win....That means any big guy with any minimal skill--
I understand why you could feel this way, though I totally disagree. I must also say that I would have liked to have seen Lesnar in another good fight or two before getting a title shot. He was getting matched up with Kongo and that would have been a good fight to see. And it would have been good to see him against another good sub guy.

Minimal skills* No one would walk into a ring with minimal skills and win a title fight much less a prelim. Look at Lesnar vs Mir. Lesnar was dominating and had good control until he left his leg open and got caught. That is what inexperience will do to you. Before this fight Lesnar had been putting in some serouis training. He didn't just go walking out of the WWE locker room and show up at the UFC and challenge someone. Big and strong can get you places, but not against high level fighters. Lesnar brings much more to the table. He brings an athleticism not seen in the heavyweight division along with superier wrestling skills which serves as a great base for his fighting ability. With his freakish size and strength, athletic ability, and hard training he is going to be a hand full for anyone.

So as far as putting the legitimacy of MMA on the line with this fight its going a bit overboard.

Ken
11-14-2008, 02:53 PM
It's all about the money for Dana. :2
No, he wouldn't base match decisions just for the sake money. :rolleyes:

That's probably why Machida is waiting in line for his shot. Fighters have to draw the money in if they what to be crowned. It sucks in a way but can understand the business side of it. Have to be able to sale the fight to make a profit.

icehog3
11-14-2008, 03:07 PM
No, he wouldn't base match decisions just for the sake money. :rolleyes:

That's probably why Machida is waiting in line for his shot. Fighters have to draw the money in if they what to be crowned. It sucks in a way but can understand the business side of it. Have to be able to sale the fight to make a profit.

No doubt, Ken, but I wish it were based more on what is fair than on what is profitable. :)

LordOfWu
11-14-2008, 03:22 PM
I understand why you could feel this way, though I totally disagree. I must also say that I would have liked to have seen Lesnar in another good fight or two before getting a title shot. He was getting matched up with Kongo and that would have been a good fight to see. And it would have been good to see him against another good sub guy.

Minimal skills* No one would walk into a ring with minimal skills and win a title fight much less a prelim. Look at Lesnar vs Mir. Lesnar was dominating and had good control until he left his leg open and got caught. That is what inexperience will do to you. Before this fight Lesnar had been putting in some serouis training. He didn't just go walking out of the WWE locker room and show up at the UFC and challenge someone. Big and strong can get you places, but not against high level fighters. Lesnar brings much more to the table. He brings an athleticism not seen in the heavyweight division along with superier wrestling skills which serves as a great base for his fighting ability. With his freakish size and strength, athletic ability, and hard training he is going to be a hand full for anyone.

So as far as putting the legitimacy of MMA on the line with this fight its going a bit overboard.

I am in agreement for the most part, I just think there is a proving process, or I like to think there is, and Lesnar hasn't proven himself.

In a side note, there have certainly be exceptions in other 'legitimate' sports, Keven Garnett, Kobe Bryant, LeBron James, who have not gone through the same process and still proven themselves ready and able to be at that level.

I don't want to more emphasis on this than there is already, the part that probably bugs me the most is that there are two heavyweight champs right now, and that seems to be taking the back seat. It seems that it would be right and fair to give Nogiera his shot before Lesnar gets his. Or make Lesnar fight Nogiera for the right to a shot at Randy. But of course, there is already a fight w/ Mir, and they need Randy to fight (he's not getting any younger!). Just seems a shame.

NCRadioMan
11-14-2008, 03:55 PM

You have offended me greatly, Robert! :D

I understand why you feel that way as we have talked about this before but, if Lesnar wins would that legitimize him?

As Tom mentioned, you have to draw money or be one of Dana's "boys" to get anywhere in the UFC, for the most part.

Ken
11-14-2008, 09:32 PM
No doubt, Ken, but I wish it were based more on what is fair than on what is profitable. :)
I am in agreement for the most part, I just think there is a proving process, or I like to think there is, and Lesnar hasn't proven himself.

I concur 2x.

Another fight or two would give him added experience and more time in training and aside from Mir and Nog I really don't think anyone else was going to stop him. Not to discredit any of the other HW's. Lesnar brings a physicality that can even the playing field when there is such a discrepancy in skill level.

It seems that it would be right and fair to give Nogiera his shot before Lesnar gets his.
I think Lesnar should have fought the loser of Mir & Nog. Well, really I think he should have fought someone before these guys, but..blah.

if Lesnar wins would that legitimize him?
Interesting way to put it.

Ken
11-15-2008, 07:02 AM
Anyone questioning Randy's mental preparedness? All the hoopla he was going through and coming right back to the UFC, is his head where it needs to be?

Couture over Lesnar - I'll go on the side of experience. Though there is a lot of downside baggage with Randy right now and nothing but opportunity for Lesnar.
Florian over Stevenson - Can he handle another strong figher?
Gonzaga - I'd just like to see him lose
Maia over Quarry
Hazelett over McCrory

BengalMan
11-15-2008, 08:58 AM
Below are my picks. I'm going to go against the grain and go with what I think everyone is thinking will happen in their minds, I'm picking Brock.

265 lbs.: UFC Heavyweight Champion Randy Couture (220) vs. Brock Lesnar (265)
155 lbs.: Kenny Florian (156) vs. Joe Stevenson (156)
265 lbs.: Gabriel Gonzaga (256) vs. Josh Hendricks (238)
185 lbs.: Demian Maia (185) vs. Nate Quarry (185)
170 lbs.: Dustin Hazelett (170) vs. Tamdan McCrory (170)
155 lbs.: Jorge Gurgel (155) vs. Aaron Riley (156)
155 lbs.: Jeremy Stephens (155) vs. Rafael dos Anjos (155)
155 lbs.: Alvin Robinson (155) vs. Mark Bocek (155)
170 lbs.: Matt Brown (171) vs. Ryan Thomas (170)

Starscream
11-15-2008, 09:40 PM
Gonzaga beat the $h!t out of Hendricks.
Couture/Lesnar next.

Ron1YY
11-15-2008, 09:43 PM
Here we go!!!!!!!!

Comicbookfreak
11-15-2008, 10:09 PM
Tell me Brock ain't legit now! New Champ!!

Starscream
11-15-2008, 10:10 PM
As good ol' JR would say:

"Brock wins, Brock wins, Brock wins!"

NCAA Champion
WWE Champion
UFC Heavyweight Champion

chippewastud79
11-15-2008, 10:11 PM
That dude is a bad fricken man. It will be interesting to see who Dana gives him as the number one challenger, assuming he gets thru Noguera/Mir :tu

Damn. Still can't believe the kind of freak that guy is as an athlete.

Comicbookfreak
11-15-2008, 10:13 PM
That dude is a bad fricken man. It will be interesting to see who Dana gives him as the number one challenger :tu

Still can't believe the kind of freak that guy is as an athlete. :o

Rumor is Winner of Nog / Mir will face Brock.

Comicbookfreak
11-15-2008, 10:14 PM

Edit: Mike Goldberg just confirmed this on the PPV.

chippewastud79
11-15-2008, 10:15 PM
Yeah I caught that a little too late :bx

Starscream
11-15-2008, 10:16 PM
I'd like to see Lesnar/ Gonzaga.

Ron1YY
11-15-2008, 10:18 PM
Brock won, No doubt. Randy had a great plan and was doing good until he got caught. I'm wondering if we will see a rematch?

chippewastud79
11-15-2008, 10:24 PM
Brock won, No doubt. Randy had a great plan and was doing good until he got caught. I'm wondering if we will see a rematch?

I doubt it, Lesnar is likely going to be forced to take all comers as long as he holds the belt. Randy will likely only take 1-2 fights in the time Lesnar will have to take 3-4. I would really like the rematch, but they are going to ride Lesnar for a while, and that means giving him challengers left and right. :bx

Ron1YY
11-15-2008, 10:32 PM
I'd like to see a rematch also. Would eliminate the thought of a Matt Serra vs. GSP scenerio..........

Starscream
11-15-2008, 11:13 PM
Dana White scripted this match. He wrote the finish for Lesnar to win. If you want to truly watch a REAL fight, head over to the WWE and watch any match they have. TNA too, for that matter. Don't know what all the hoopla is over a scripted UFC card.;)

I like cake. :D

Darrell
11-15-2008, 11:19 PM
Dana White scripted this match. He wrote the finish for Lesnar to win. If you want to truly watch a REAL fight, head over to the WWE and watch any match they have. TNA too, for that matter. Don't know what all the hoopla is over a scripted UFC card.;)

Don't you have some Lusi's to cut in half or something? :r

Ron1YY
11-15-2008, 11:37 PM

:D

Not scripted. Never though it was or ever will be. GSP got caught in the first fight, but proved it was just that, Got caught

kayaker
11-15-2008, 11:52 PM
IMO Lesnar caught Courure with an illegal blow, behind the ear, which is considered by some to be the back of the head.

Therefore the fight should have been ruled a no contest.

And I'm not bitter!!!:fl

sigh

The Bocek vs Alvinson fight was a good one though. Real BBJ tactician match.

Fight of the night IMO.

NCRadioMan
11-15-2008, 11:56 PM
http://images.chron.com/blogs/fantasyfootball/Brock_Lesnar_385734a.jpg

The next BIG thing!

Ken-Flo was awesome too!

kayaker
11-16-2008, 12:07 AM

I'll take your bait.:D

If Dana could script UFC fights, Chuck would never lose.

Gurgel vs Riley did not deserve fight of the night. It was a good enough match, but their striking was not nearly as good as the submission attempts being worked in the Bocek vs Robinson fight.

Time for another drink.:al

Starscream
11-16-2008, 12:43 AM

UFC (not scripted) is sport
WWE (scripted) is an art form

This was meant as a joke, guys! :D
I like UFC, but I love some WWE (or any type of pro wrestling).

Starscream
11-16-2008, 12:46 AM
Not scripted. Never though it was or ever will be.It's not. Just poking fun, as the new Heavyweight champ is a former champ of an organization which does have scripted fights.:)

If Dana could script UFC fights, Chuck would never lose.

Time for another drink.:al

True dat. On both accounts.:)

LordOfWu
11-16-2008, 10:35 AM
The object lesson of the night last night...don't give your back to a BJJ black belt...it doesn't end well for you!

I've never seen that many submissions on one card, and the Hazlett sub...OMG, that was sick!

BengalMan
11-16-2008, 11:17 AM
4 bet parlay won $430 last night, damn I'm good. :)

This ended up to be a great card. Can't wait for the Dec. card.

Ken
11-16-2008, 11:24 AM
Pretty good fights.

Umm, what was with the Quarry Maia after fight kiss. Either they are dating or that was very strange. :confused:

Hazelett & Florian looked good in their fights. Just don't like Gonzaga, he got fed a can now he wants to look for a title. I say let Couture school him again.

IMO Lesnar caught Courure with an illegal blow,
Not an illegal hit at all.

Ron1YY
11-16-2008, 11:34 AM
I wouldn't say it was an illegal hit because I really didn't see it that way from the angles I saw.

I will say that Randy got caught. I didn't think Brock dominated Randy up to the point that he caught him.

Like I said, I'd love to see a rematch. Randy was doing great and I have that "what if" in the back of my mind like I did and the end of the Serra vs. GSP fight

kayaker
11-16-2008, 11:50 AM
I know it wasn't really an illegal strike, but I'm caught up on wishful thinking.

I don't think he really deserved a title shot yet, I guess if he didn't deserve it he shouldn't have won. It will be interesting to see how he makes out against the winner of Mir vs Nog.

There were lots of great fights last night and we got to see them all.

Comicbookfreak
11-16-2008, 12:36 PM
I wouldn't say it was an illegal hit because I really didn't see it that way from the angles I saw.

I will say that Randy got caught. I didn't think Brock dominated Randy up to the point that he caught him.

Like I said, I'd love to see a rematch. Randy was doing great and I have that "what if" in the back of my mind like I did and the end of the Serra vs. GSP fight

I agree the shot wasn't illegal.

I disagree that Randy wasn't getting dominated. All Randy could do with Brock was be on his back for most of the first round after getting taken down by Brock. And Randy was an alternate for the Olympics in Greco Roman Wrestling, which shows Brock ability to take down Olympic caliber wrestlers and put them on their back. Other than that all Randy did to Brock was try to hold him against the fence.

I like Randy and think he is a class act. But maybe now people will start to realize just because Brock chose to make a **** load of money in Pro Wrestling in no way mean he isn't a legitimate fighter. Mir better hope he doesn't beat Nog and have to have a rematch against Brock cause I don't see Brock leaving his leg out their for him next time like he did in their first fight, which was only because the ref stood them up after claiming Brock hit Mir in the back of the head when it was Mir who turned his head as the punch was being throw. Up til the point the ref interfered Mir was get his ass handed to him by Brock and was second from the fight being stopped.. Brock trains like an animal and I just don't see Brock getting caught in another leg sub by Mir. Mir also tried to get arm subs on Brock and Brock was just too powerful for Mir to land them. Now Nog / Lesnar would be interesting if Nog doesn't get caught with one of those size 4X canned hams of a hands Brock has and Nog has been proven he can be knocked down. Not sure he could take Brock power either. Looking forward to wither one of these guys fighting Brock.

As far as people saying Brock isn't legit and doesn't deserve a title shot, do you think so now? Bottom line is Brock puts asses in the seats and makes PPV buyrates soar. And in the grand scheme of things this is a business and in business money is the bottom line like it or not.

LordOfWu
11-16-2008, 01:18 PM
I disagree that Randy wasn't getting dominated. All Randy could do with Brock was be on his back for most of the first round after getting taken down by Brock. And Randy was an alternate for the Olympics in Greco Roman Wrestling, which shows Brock ability to take down Olympic caliber wrestlers and put them on their back. Other than that all Randy did to Brock was try to hold him against the fence.

I thought Randy was doing well, and surprised Brock w/ a couple of shots (including one that cut him). Until he was rocked, Randy was avoiding taking damage on the ground and was able to get back up. Brock played the punchers chance and got a big hit in, it was legit and punishing. Randy had taken another big hit on his feet, if anything I think Randy was going w/ a pretty solid game plan to keep Brock tied up in the fence and avoid damage on the ground, a game plan you have to know either Nog or Mir will see.

As far as people saying Brock isn't legit and doesn't deserve a title shot, do you think so now? Bottom line is Brock puts asses in the seats and makes PPV buyrates soar. And in the grand scheme of things this is a business and in business money is the bottom line like it or not.

I didn't get the feeling that anyone thought Brock wasn't legit, but this isn't just business, it's a sport, and I think it wasn't right to give Brock a title shot for two reasons: a) Noguira holds the interim belt, so consolidating the belt should have been the first priority and b) when your pro record is 2-1, you should have to earn your shot at the title, not get it strictly because you bring in viewers. I don't think there would be any fewer viewers for a card w/ Randy and Nog, or a card with Brock and someone like Cheick Kongo. I don't doubt that he is now the heavyweight champ, but I think it's proof that this is still such a young sport when you get your shot w/ only 3 fights under your belt.

Ron1YY
11-16-2008, 01:20 PM
I agree the shot wasn't illegal.

I like Randy and think he is a class act. But maybe now people will start to realize just because Brock chose to make a **** load of money in Pro Wrestling in no way mean he isn't a legitimate fighter. Mir better hope he doesn't beat Nog and have to have a rematch against Brock cause I don't see Brock leaving his leg out their for him next time like he did in their first fight, which was only because the ref stood them up after claiming Brock hit Mir in the back of the head when it was Mir who turned his head as the punch was being throw. Up til the point the ref interfered Mir was get his ass handed to him by Brock and was second from the fight being stopped.. Brock trains like an animal and I just don't see Brock getting caught in another leg sub by Mir. Mir also tried to get arm subs on Brock and Brock was just too powerful for Mir to land them. Now Nog / Lesnar would be interesting if Nog doesn't get caught with one of those size 4X canned hams of a hands Brock has and Nog has been proven he can be knocked down. Not sure he could take Brock power either. Looking forward to wither one of these guys fighting Brock.

I guess we just see it differently. Comparing it to his other fights, it didn't look like he was as agressive as he was with Heath. Kind of surprised me at that. I really thought Brock would come out of the gate like he did against Mir and Herring.

Randy putting people on the fence wears them down and also frustrates the fighters. From what I was hearing, That and stick and move was his plan. It seemed to be working for him until he got nailed. And when you get hit with Bricks the size of Brocks hands, There really isn't much you can do except drop.

As far as legitimate, Brock is an NCAA Champion and a World Class athlete. Any and all athletes that change sports have a learning curve and Brock looks like he is a fast learner. Deserving a Title Shot, Why not!!. Look at the history of some great champions. Randy won his first title (Ironically) in his 4th fight!!!!!

The thing that gets me with this fight, is that it has the same feel as the GSP fight as with other fights where, that one shot that turns the fight.......

Ken
11-16-2008, 07:11 PM
Guys, I think we are going to be seeing some exciting fights in the HW's that haven't been there for a long time. Brock, Mir, Nog, Randy and others coming up like Velasquez, Kongo, and Dos Santos.

kayaker
11-16-2008, 07:13 PM
Guys, I think we are going to be seeing some exciting fights in the HW's that haven't been there for a long time. Brock, Mir, Nog, Randy and others coming up like Velasquez, Kongo, and Dos Santos.

I agree. I'd also like to see Arvloski make a come back.

kayaker
11-17-2008, 09:31 AM
Report: Anderson Silva could headline UFC 95, against Chuck Liddell
by MMAjunkie.com Staff on Nov 17, 2008 at 10:07 am ET
When the UFC returns to London, England, for a show at The 02, UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva (23-4 MMA, 8-0 UFC) could headline the event -- possibly in a non-title fight at 205 pounds against Chuck Liddell (21-6 MMA, 16-5 UFC).

The Sun, a reputable newspaper from the U.K., reported the possibility of the UFC 95 main event overnight.

However, neither fighter has been officially booked for the Feb. 21 event, and the Silva-Liddell fight is only being discussed a possibility.

"SunSport understands middleweight champion Anderson Silva, 33, has been asked to appear on the card, with a potential bout with light heavyweight star Chuck Liddell already being mooted," the report stated.

If it does pan out, the fight is certain to raise some eyebrows.

While Silva, who's made easy work of the UFC's 185-pound division since his arrival in 2006, has been granted permission to fight in the 205-pound division once before, his fight with James Irvin was largely considered pointless. However, with UFC Fight Night 15 being a late-booked event and in desperate need of a main event to counter Affliction Entertainment's debut event on July 19, the circumstances warranted even a non-ideal booking.

The UFC 95 fight, meanwhile, could be -- and perhaps should be -- criticized on two fronts. Not only would the light-heavyweight fight put the UFC's middleweight title picture on hold again (Silva made just two title defenses in 2008), he'd also be competing against a fighter -- though surely a future UFC hall-of-famer -- who's lost three of his past four fights and whose stock has never been lower. In fact, the 38-year-old Liddell hasn't scored a knockout victory in nearly two years.

Liddell is still a draw, and the fight could be marketed. However, a loss for "The Iceman" could be a disaster and force him into retirement. Worse yet, a loss for Silva would greatly impact his standing as the world's top pound-for-pound fighter and would likely derail any future plans for the 33-year-old Brazilian to fight outside the 185-pound division.

Silva is currently riding a nine-fight win streak, which includes eight consecutive victories in the UFC. None of his UFC fights has gone to a decision, including his most recent title defense. Last month at UFC 90, he defeated Patrick Cote via third-round TKO due to a knee injury suffered by the Canadian fighter.

For the latest on UFC 95, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of MMAjunkie.com.

So if this happens, and Silva beats Liddel. Do you think he should get a title shot at LHW?

NCRadioMan
11-17-2008, 10:18 AM
I agree. I'd also like to see Arvloski make a come back.
He is sceduled to be Fedor's next victim at Affliction's Day of Reckoning on New Years day.

BengalMan
11-17-2008, 06:01 PM
He is sceduled to be Fedor's next victim at Affliction's Day of Reckoning on New Years day.

Yep and this is going to be Fedor's biggest test that he's had in some time. Arlovski has been fighting like the AA of old, when we dominated people in the UFC.

As far as Anderson vs. Chuck, my buddy and I called this months ago, just didn't know when it would happen. Dana is all about putting together super fights for big numbers. That mixed with no one in the MW division can hold a candle to Silva, he needs the competition. Dana is giving Chuck one last main event hoo-ra and payday, then Chuck is likely going fight maybe a few more times and be done. He'll be 40 at the time he fights Silva. Just like many have said, Chuck isn't the same Chuck as he used to be.

As far as Anderson going for the title, we'll have to see. Silva has said over and over that he is retiring after this contract. If he sticks to that, I don't think Dana will let him go for the 205 title. That mixed with that there are SO MANY deserving people at 205 that need a title shot.

Here are the 205 top 10 Rankings:

#1 Light Heavyweight Fighter in the World: Forrest Griffin
2. Quinton Jackson
3. Lyoto Machida
4. Rashad Evans
5. Chuck Liddell
6. Wanderlei Silva
7. Antonio Rogerio Nogueira
8. Keith Jardine
9. Rich Franklin
10. Thiago Silva

Rashad already has the next title fight. If Wandy beats Rampage, he will have the following title shot. I think we'll see Franklin and Machida rematch.

Like I said, 205 is just too stacked for Anderson to get a title shot. He will fight Chuck at 205 for big PPV numbers, that's about it.

kayaker
11-20-2008, 09:39 AM
Check this out:

UFC drops Jon Fitch, other American Kickboxing Academy fighters
by Kevin Iole on Nov 20, 2008 at 2:30 am ET
A bitterly angry Dana White said Wednesday the Ultimate Fighting Championship has cut highly regarded welterweight contender Jon Fitch and is not going to do business with any fighters who are part of the American Kickboxing Academy team in San Jose, Calif.

The outspoken UFC president said shortly after landing in Hawaii on Wednesday that he no longer wants to work with AKA fighters or those represented by DeWayne Zinkin and Bob Cook.

White said he excepted AKA welterweight Mike Swick from that group because he said Swick called him and told him he wants to fight for the UFC. But Fitch and heavyweight Christian Wellisch were cut on Wednesday, and heavyweight prospect Cain Velasquez and welterweight Josh Koscheck could be next.

"We're looking for guys who want to work with us and not against us, and frankly I'm just so [expletive] sick of this [expletive] it's not even funny," White said from Honolulu, where he flew Wednesday from Toronto to hold a news conference to announce the B.J. Penn-Georges St. Pierre fight for UFC 94 on Jan. 31 in Las Vegas.

"Affliction is still out there trying to build its company. Let [Fitch] go work with them. Let him see what he thinks of those [expletives]. [Expletive] him. These guys aren't partners with us. [Expletive] them. All of them, every last [expletive] one of them."

Fitch said Wednesday the dispute was over his reluctance to sign a lifetime contract to allow his name and likeness to be used in a video game the UFC is planning with THQ. He said the dispute has nothing to do with money and that he never caused a problem during his time in the UFC.

He said he simply didn't understand the need to sign a lifetime contract, particularly since it would not pay his family in the event of his death.

"Working for free and selling our rights away for lifetime, that's a little different," said Fitch, who said he hasn't spoken with White but plans to call him. "We tried to negotiate five- or 10-year deals with them, but it wasn't good enough. It was all or nothing. He wanted our lifetime. He wanted our souls forever."

White said the AKA fighters "aren't partners with us" and said they don't understand what the UFC is trying to do for the sport. White said the UFC's current success was because of long hours he and partner Lorenzo Fertitta have put in trying to build the company and the sport of mixed martial arts.

White complained that he has to make frequent sacrifices in his personal life and is away from his family for long stretches because of his commitment to growing the UFC. He said the AKA fighters don't understand the things UFC management is trying to do and said they'll learn how tough things are in the poor economy.

"There are a lot of guys who help us and work with us and are great partners with us, and they're the ones we're going to remember and take care of," White said. "Do these guys understand what is going on in this world? I'll tell you, this economy is [expletive] up. It's totally [expletive] up. It's bad, real, real bad. The [television] networks are in trouble and don't have money. The sponsors are in trouble, and they have no money. If they don't have money, they go out of business.

"It's a whole other world out there, believe me, and let these guys go out there and see what they find."

White said he took great care of Fitch and said with bonuses and purse, Fitch made $169,000 for his welterweight title fight loss to St. Pierre at UFC 87 in Minneapolis in August. Fitch (17-3 with 1 no-contest) did not dispute that salary figure. He said the UFC "has taken care of me and you've never heard me complain about money. This is a respect thing."

Fitch said he thought there should room to negotiate on these contracts but said the UFC would not budge.

He said he understood it was highly unlikely that another company would want to put him in a video game but said it was only reasonable that he not tie his rights up for life.

White said he flew to San Jose in the summer to talk with the AKA fighters, but Fitch said the discussion was about a merchandising agreement.

"He wanted us to sign that merchandising agreement, and it was not a very good agreement," Fitch said. "There was not really a reason for us to sign it. The first thing they brought to us was for us to sign all of our rights away for everything forever. It was for very small compensation, and there was no compensation for family members if we were to die.

"We could die and they could make memorial figurines and stuff and make thousands, millions of dollars, and our families wouldn't see a penny of it. The way they bring the contracts and stuff to us, I don't know, it's just not how business is done."

Zinkin also represents UFC light heavyweight Chuck Liddell, though Liddell does not fight for AKA. White said he has been "beefing with Zinkin for years" and said he had to call Liddell, one of his closest friends, and tell him to get Zinkin to back off.

According to White, Liddell said Zinkin represented him on sponsorships and he would negotiate his own deals with the UFC.

Fitch said he has been a loyal UFC employee and said, "I'd only like a little bit of respect for the blood I shed for this company."

White said he has sacrificed more than anyone to build the UFC into the powerhouse it has become and that he's tired of athletes who don't want to "get with the program."

Velasquez, one of the sport's rising stars, clearly is on the outs with White. White said Zinkin wanted standard language that is part of every UFC fighter's contract removed from Velasquez's deal.

"Can you believe that?" White said. "Chuck Liddell has that language in his contract. Randy Couture has it. Anderson Silva has it. And Cain [expletive] Velasquez, with two [expletive] fights, wants us to change it for him? That's [expletive] nuts. He can get the [expletive] out.

"I'm not a douche bag and I do a lot for these guys, a lot more than any of you will ever know. We're in a horrible time in the economy now, and every guy with two nickels to rub together is making a run at us. We've worked too hard, given too much, to let certain guys come in and [expletive] with that."

Fitch said he's not trying to mess with anything and that he simply wants to fight. He said he always has been respectful in all his dealings with the UFC and said he can't understand the position he finds himself in without ever having spoken to White.

He plans to call White to discuss the situation but wasn't sure what move to make.

"I'm more than willing to work with them, but I don't see why we have to give up our whole lives for this," Fitch said. "Why not a time limit? If we did a 10-year deal with them, is that that unreasonable? I don't understand how this happened, honestly. It's tough."

Ken
11-21-2008, 07:17 AM
UFC drops Jon Fitch, other American Kickboxing Academy fighters

Seems to me it's a piss poor decision from White. Talk about an egotistical boss strong arming his employees. "Sell your soul to the company or else."

I wouldn't doubt at all that if you don't bleed during the fight that they withdraw a pint in the locker room his consumption.:rolleyes:

BengalMan
11-21-2008, 08:00 AM
That news is no longer true. Yesterday Fitch went above Dana White and spoke with Lorenzo directly and got things worked out. Fitch is back in the UFC and will still be fighting Aki Gono as scheduled.

Tombstone
11-21-2008, 08:23 AM
What about Brock vs Kimbo. I know that this would not be much of a technical fight but it would be good to see these two go at it.

kayaker
11-21-2008, 09:06 AM
That news is no longer true. Yesterday Fitch went above Dana White and spoke with Lorenzo directly and got things worked out. Fitch is back in the UFC and will still be fighting Aki Gono as scheduled.

Do you think they will ever get rid of Dana? I know he does a great deal for the UFC, but sometimes he seems to be a bit of a loose canon.

kayaker
11-21-2008, 10:20 AM
Here's the word. Looks like Jon changed his mind after talking to L. Fertitta.

Report: Jon Fitch will sign videogame agreement, returns to UFC
by MMAjunkie.com Staff on Nov 20, 2008 at 6:38 pm ET
Just 24 hours after Jon Fitch was kicked out of the UFC and scratched from a scheduled UFC 94 bout with Akihiro Gono, the top welterweight contender is now back with the organization, according to MMARated.com.

Saying he no longer wanted to work with the American Kickboxing Academy or the fighter's management team at Zinkin Entertainment, UFC President Dana White said he dismissed Fitch, who initially refused to sign a deal that would give the UFC the exclusive right to use his likeness in an upcoming videogame.

Fitch today agreed to sign the deal after speaking with UFC Chief Executive Officer Lorenzo Fertitta, according to the report.

The fighter, who said he was disappointed by White's strong-arm tactics in trying to get him to sign the agreement, is now again scheduled to fight Gono at the Jan. 31 event in Las Vegas.

Fitch initially told Yahoo! Sports he simply didn't understand the need to sign over his rights with a lifetime contract, particularly since it would not pay his family in the event of his death, and that White balked at his management team's willingness to compromise with a five- or 10-year deal.

"It was all or nothing," Fitch said. "[White] wanted our lifetime. He wanted our souls forever."

In addition to Fitch, White on Wednesday also said he dropped Christian Wellisch from the organization and that fellow UFC fighters Josh Koscheck and Cain Velasquez were also in jeopardy of being cut from the UFC. There's no word if those fighters now plan to sign the agreement, as well.

The videogame in question, "UFC 2009 Undisputed," which is set for a mid-2009 release, is being produced by THQ.

Fitch (17-3 MMA, 8-1 UFC), who is currently ranked a world top-five welterweight, most recently fought in August and dropped a unanimous decision to UFC welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre. It was his first loss in nearly six years and snapped his record eight-fight win streak in the UFC.

LordOfWu
11-21-2008, 10:35 AM
Dana needs to deal with business like a grown up, some of this stuff is getting ridiculous. I don't know why these guys keep taking this stuff to the press...I would expect the crap coming from Dana to come from an athlete, if you look at other major sports the 'organization' in general doesn't come out and attack players like this. I know Dana has done a lot for the UFC, but he has to stop taking this stuff personally, it makes him look retarded.

MileHighGolfer
11-21-2008, 10:45 AM
Dana is such a class act

jquirit
11-21-2008, 10:49 AM
Dana is such a class act

Can't spell "class" without the "ass" in it. :r

Sometimes I seriously think Dana needs to chill the heck out. Sure, you're running the #1 MMA production company but that doesn't give you the right to act like an umitigated ass and strong-arm your employees. Threatening them to leave for Affliction? Why not sell them to EliteXC, Dana, while you're at it? Rub more salt in those wounds while you preen your feathers.

Now I seriously wish that fight between Tito Ortiz and Dana would of gone through. Think many of us would of gotten some sense of satisfaction seeing Dana get smacked around, even though it might have been by the hands of Ortiz.

NCRadioMan
11-26-2008, 09:54 AM
Fedor, Mousasi in for ADCC 2009 (http://www.mmalinker.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18553#p332080)

Huge news for followers of competitive grappling — the Abu Dhabi Combat Club has announced that Fedor Emelianenko and DREAM middleweight champ Gegard Mousasi have been confirmed as participants for the 2009 ADCC Submission Wrestling World Championship:

Fedor Emelianenko, after conquering the World of MMA, wants to show the World he is also the best Submission Grappler in the World. Fedor want to make history and expand on the pioneer spirit of what Mark Kerr did in the late 90’s when he was the Champion of Pride and became the weight and Absolute Champion of ADCC and went on to defend his title in the Superfights for 2 editions.

Mousassi, the winner of the 2008 Dream Middleweight Grand Prix where he defeated former World ABJJ Absolute and ADCC middleweight Champion Ronaldo “Jacare” Souza in the final, also wants to test his ground skills against the top names in Submission Grappling. This sets up some humongous possible match-ups such as a re-match with “Jacare” or facing current ADCC Middleweight Champion and rising U.F.C. star Demian Maia.

In case you’re unfamiliar, the ultra-prestigious ADCC grappling tournament takes place every other year, and has attracted a wide range of MMA and jiu-jitsu legends. Its open-weight Absolute Division title has been won by Ricco Rodriguez, Roberto Traven, Mark Kerr, Ricardo Arona, Dean Lister, Roger Gracie, and Robert Drysdale (in 2007). Last year’s competition also featured Fabricio Werdum taking first place in the over-99KG division and the aforementioned Demian Maia grabbing gold in the under-88KG class.

Fedor’s involvement could attract even more big-name participants to the next ADCC championships, who want to see just how good Emelianenko really is on the ground when he’s not allowed to punch you in the head. The inclusion of Mousasi, on the other hand, is fairly odd since he’s known primarily as a striker and previously said that winning the DREAM middleweight GP was a stepping stone to achieving his “real desire…to also become the world champion in boxing.” But hey, we respect the kid’s ambition, even if he’s setting himself up to get worked by Jacare or Maia.

Date and location for the 2009 tournament are still TBA at this point.

In other news:

Golden Boy has officially slapped (http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/news/story?id=3724513) Affliction in the face. On January 24 the "partners" will go head to head, as Golden Boy will sponsor the Margarito/Mosley fight the same night Affliction's second PPV "Day of Reckoning" takes place. It is shocking to say the least.................

http://rearnaked.blogspot.com/2008/11/golden-boy-vs-affliction.html

LasciviousXXX
11-26-2008, 05:40 PM
Sweet thanks for the news brother.

BTW did anyone catch Aleksander Emelianenko's return to fighting last Friday night? It was at the M-1 Challenge 9 in Japan. Really nice to see him back in action :tu

BengalMan
11-28-2008, 10:57 AM
Rumor has it that Aleks is going to be fighting in Japan on NYE, then fighting on the next Affliction card against Josh Barnett which would be SWEET.

ON another note, Jurgel was released by the UFC then signed by Strikeforce. It will be cool to see him against the likes of Josh Thompson and Gilbert Melendez. Fabricio Werdum was also released by the UFC, he will likely go to Affliction I'm sure. Soko was the latest to be released by the UFC. He has yet to sign anywhere just yet. But being just 24 years old and training with Hendo, I think he'll be ok.

LordOfWu
12-01-2008, 08:05 PM
Not sure if any of you guys have watched 'Red Belt' but it's a good MMA movie with a large focus on Jiu Jitsu...I rate it pretty high on authenticity of the fighting!

NCRadioMan
12-07-2008, 10:43 AM
Ultimate Fighter Season 5 winner Nathan Diaz will make his return to the Octagon on Jan. 31 at UFC 94. He will face perennial fight of the night candidate Clay Guida, according to GracieFighter.com, a web site owned and operated by Diaz' trainer Cesar Gracie.

Diaz last saw action at UFC Fight Night 15 in Omaha, Neb., where he eked out the toughest victory of his UFC tenure. He fought a back-and-forth battle with tough Midwest fighter Josh Neer, earning a split decision victory. Diaz holds a professional record of 10-2 and is currently riding a five-fight winning streak.

A clear fan favorite for his "never say die" attitude, Guida has had a see-saw career in the Octagon, amassing a 4-3 record during his time in the UFC. He currently owns back-to-back wins, including the most prominent win of his career in his most recent bout. Also at UFC Fight Night 15, Guida won a hard-fought unanimous decision over Ultimate Fighter Season 6 winner Mac Danzig.

That should be a great fight! Also Stephan Bonner returns on that card too.

The K-1 fights the other night were great. If you can catch some of the fights it will be well worth it! Even though the winner of tourny won by DQ. Lots of great KO's. Also, I can't believe that idiot Junie will get to fight on TV in the TUF finale. :rolleyes:

LasciviousXXX
12-10-2008, 03:22 PM
UFC's fight for the troops is on tonite... anyone watching?

NCRadioMan
12-10-2008, 03:28 PM
UFC's fight for the troops is on tonite... anyone watching?
You know it, brudda!

Not a huge card but hey, I'll take it. Especailly when it's for a great cause!

Josh "Kos" Koscheck vs. Yoshiyuki "Zenko" Yoshida

Mike "Quick" Swick vs. Jonathan "The Road Warrior" Goulet

Steve "Robot" Cantwell vs. Razak Al-Hussan

Tim Credeur vs. Nate Loughran

Matt Wiman Vs. Jim Miller

LasciviousXXX
12-10-2008, 03:45 PM
Yeah should be a fun event even if the card isn't that solid. The next PPV event is the one I'm looking forward to..

Noguiera/Mir
Griffin/Evans
Jackson/Silva

HELL YEAH!

NCRadioMan
12-10-2008, 04:01 PM
Yeah. UFC 92 should be off the chart! That is a stacked card if there ever was one. Don't forget about the TUF Finals this Saturday!

The Ultimate Fighter 8” Lightweight Final
Phillipe Nover vs. Efrain Escudero

“The Ultimate Fighter 8” Light Heavyweight Final
Ryan Bader vs. Vinicius Magalhaes

Jason MacDonald vs. Wilson Gouveia
Anthony Johnson vs. Kevin Burns
Junie Allen Browning vs. Dave Kaplan
Krzysztof Soszynski vs. Shane Primm
Eliot Marshall vs. Jules Bruchez
Kyle Kingsbury vs. Tom Lawlor
Shane Nelson vs. George Roop
Roli Delgado vs. John Polakowski

Mr.Maduro
12-11-2008, 11:35 AM
Did you see Corey Hill's leg break during his match last night?

WARNING....not for weak stomachs!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hwp_JwwGPhc

Jdbwolverines
12-11-2008, 01:55 PM

Wow. Top 5 worst sports injury ever.

NCRadioMan
12-12-2008, 08:15 AM

Reminds me of this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFfx4f3aimQ

NCRadioMan
12-17-2008, 07:23 AM
Yeah. UFC 92 should be off the chart! That is a stacked card if there ever was one. Don't forget about the TUF Finals this Saturday!

The Ultimate Fighter 8” Lightweight Final
Phillipe Nover vs. Efrain Escudero

“The Ultimate Fighter 8” Light Heavyweight Final
Ryan Bader vs. Vinicius Magalhaes

Jason MacDonald vs. Wilson Gouveia
Anthony Johnson vs. Kevin Burns
Junie Allen Browning vs. Dave Kaplan
Krzysztof Soszynski vs. Shane Primm
Eliot Marshall vs. Jules Bruchez
Kyle Kingsbury vs. Tom Lawlor
Shane Nelson vs. George Roop
Roli Delgado vs. John Polakowski
Good fights! Gouveia over MacDonald, so quickly, was quite the surprise.

Junie claims his actions on TUF were somewhat of an act to get noticed but I find it disgusting that someone can act like that and be rewarded for it.

Yahoo! Sports has released the list of the Top 10 North American Pay-Per-View buyrates for 2008 and it's clear that pro wrestling no longer dominates the PPV market. In fact, only 1 pro wrestling event broke the top 10 (WrestleMania 24) and it featured professional boxer Floyd Mayweather as one of its top attractions.

Here's the top 10 list:

1. Boxing: Oscar De La Hoya vs. Manny Pacquiao, Dec. 6, 1,250,000
2. UFC: Brock Lesnar vs. Randy Couture, Nov. 15, 1,010,000
3. Wrestling: WrestleMania, Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Paul “Big Show” Wight, March 30, 670,000
4. UFC: Georges St. Pierre vs. Jon Fitch/Lesnar vs. Heath Herring, Aug. 9, 625,000
5. UFC: Lesnar vs. Frank Mir, Feb. 2, 600,000
6. UFC: Quinton Jackson vs. Forrest Griffin, July 5, 540,000
7. UFC: St. Pierre vs. Matt Serra, April 19, 530,000
8. Boxing: Felix Trinidad vs. Roy Jones Jr., Jan. 19, 500,000
9. UFC: Chuck Liddell vs. Rashad Evans, Sept. 6, 480,000
10. UFC: B.J. Penn vs. Sean Sherk/Tito Ortiz vs. Lyoto Machida, May 24, 475,000

Brock Lesnar’s 2.2 million buys over three fights made him the most-watched PPV fighter in 2008. His total was the second highest total in UFC history, trailing only Tito Ortiz, who did 2.25 million in headlining three events in 2006. And this is why Lesnar gets the attention he does and why he was promoted so hard.

Here is a great article on Lesnar: http://www.rapidcityjournal.com/articles/2008/12/15/news/top/doc4946b81f55e02562490078.txt

goalie204
12-17-2008, 07:38 AM
Tito ortiz (personally i dislike him) might be the only guy who can save affliction. I think affliction will fold eventually, but Tito gives them a chance, he's a good "showman"

Also, very excited for GSP vs B.J. 2 - Gsp will win 100% tho, can't wait to see it.

This coming ufc on dec 27th is amazing: What a card!:

Rashad Evans Vs Forrest Griffin
Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira Vs. Frank Mir
CB Dollaway Vs. Mike Massenzio
Wanderlei Silva Vs. Quinton Jackson
Cheick Kongo Vs. Mostapha Al Turk
Yushin Okami Vs. Dean Lister
Antoni Hardonk Vs. Mark Burch
Matt Hamill Vs. Reese Andy
Ryo Chonan Vs. Brad Blackburn
Dan Evensen Vs. Pat Barry

NCRadioMan
12-17-2008, 07:52 AM
Tito ortiz (personally i dislike him) might be the only guy who can save affliction. I think affliction will fold eventually, but Tito gives them a chance, he's a good "showman"

Tito is yesterday's news. If Fedor, the best fighter in the world, can't keep them around nobody will be able to to.

:2

Here is some unfortunate news:
WILL RIBEIRO FIGHTING FOR LIFE AFTER CRASH

World Extreme Cagefighting bantamweight Will Ribeiro was in a motorcycle accident early Tuesday morning and is currently comatose in a hospital in Brazil, according to a report by Frank Curreri on WEC.com.

Ribeiro's manager, Ed Soares, confirmed the news. According to the report:

"Soares said one of his assistants in Brazil told him Ribeiro was riding as a passenger on the motorcycle and was not wearing a helmet. The street they were riding on was slick due to rain. Ribeiro was rushed to a local hospital and underwent emergency surgery.

'My assistant said that the doctor said for sure that he (Ribeiro) has lost sight in one of his eyes,' Soares said. 'Hes still in a coma. After surgery the doctor said there is a 50-50 shot that he will come out of it (survive).'"

Ribeiro, currently ranked No. 7 in the world at 135 pounds, competed recently at WEC 37 in Las Vegas on Dec. 3, where he lost via submission to No. 2 ranked Brian Bowles.

Hes a very positive guy, very hard-working, a good person, Soares said of Ribeiro to WEC.com. He had had a very rough life. His mother passed away like seven years ago and he took over the care of his younger sister. He's like a father-brother-mother to her I'm still crushed right now.

goalie204
12-17-2008, 08:21 AM
Tito is yesterday's news. If Fedor, the best fighter in the world, can't keep them around nobody will be able to to.

first of all, Fedor is great, but pound for pound in the world, i say anderson silva #1. Fedor #2. My opinion.

Regardless tho, amazing fighters definitely keep our eyes peeled to the screen, but a huge part of any business is marketing, and hype, and tito is a hype man more than a fighter. We'll see what happens with affliction tho. I don't think they'll last to 2010.

Ken
12-17-2008, 08:31 AM
Tito ortiz (personally i dislike him) might be the only guy who can save affliction.

This coming ufc on dec 27th is amazing: What a card!:

Rashad Evans Vs Forrest Griffin
Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira Vs. Frank Mir
Wanderlei Silva Vs. Quinton Jackson

Affliction is putting together good fights so they have a staying shot with the money that is backing them.

This is a very good card for the UFC and would say great if there were a couple of more interesting fights.

Did anyone notice who was on this card? Take a guess. Ryo Chonan . Who is he? He tapped Anderson Silva with 10sec left in their fight in Pride. It was a freakin' slick flying scissors takedown into a leg lock. There was noone more baffled than Silva.

NCRadioMan
12-17-2008, 08:38 AM
Chonan's last three fights have been very unispiring, imo. I hope he makes a better showing than those stinkers. Looks like it will be on the undercard non-televised fights too.

goalie204
12-17-2008, 10:11 AM
Affliction is putting together good fights so they have a staying shot with the money that is backing them.

This is a very good card for the UFC and would say great if there were a couple of more interesting fights.

Did anyone notice who was on this card? Take a guess. Ryo Chonan . Who is he? He tapped Anderson Silva with 10sec left in their fight in Pride. It was a freakin' slick flying scissors takedown into a leg lock. There was noone more baffled than Silva.

That flying scissor kick leg lock was the greatest thing ever. Link for those who haven't seen it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zb5B6xBZiX8

These days however, Chonan isn't that great in my opinion and won't do very well in the ufc if his last 2 fights are any kind of indication.

goalie204
12-17-2008, 10:13 AM

There are several other interesting fights than the 3 you quoted me on, they just don't have the "big named superstars" as much as those 3. But they will still be great.

Ken
12-17-2008, 10:36 AM
Chonan's last three fights have been very unispiring, imo.
Yeah, he really hasn't been stealing the show since then. I as well hope he can revive his fighting career.

My 3yr took a headbutt last night and ended up with a knot between the eyes and bloody nose. I take him to training every so often and I'll wrestle with him during breaks (since I don't need one :ze :D), but this time he didn't heed my warning about staying out of the way while there was activity on the mat. Oh well, I told him. Not his first busted nose and I am so positve it won't be the last.

NCRadioMan
12-19-2008, 07:40 AM
More horrible MMA news:

Former Ultimate Fighting Championship and World Extreme Cagefighting middleweight Justin Levens and his wife were found dead on Wednesday from gunshot wounds in their Luguna Niguel, Calif. home, according to a report on TMZ.com.

Sources in the report say that the police are investigating the deaths as a possible murder/suicide.

Levens fought in numerous organizations over the past few years including the UFC, WEC and the IFL. The former Ruas Vale Tudo student was scheduled to compete on the first Affliction card in July of this year, but due to delays at the event, the fight was scrapped at the last minute. He later returned positive results for the drug Oxymorphone as part of his pre-fight drug testing and was subsequently fined $1,000 and suspended for six months, which would have run through Jan. 15, 2009.

Born in Philadelphia on April 18, 1980, Levens was 28 at the time of his death.

MMAWeekly.com will have more on this story as it becomes available.

Damn.

Ken
12-26-2008, 10:57 AM
Forrest Griffin Vs. Rashad Evans - Hard fight to call, but I'll take Griffin breaking Evans' record.
Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira Vs. Frank Mir - Nog willl try to box & both have top skills on the ground, so I take Nog
CB Dollaway Vs. Mike Massenzio - No real reason, just do not care for "Mr. Excuses".
Wanderlei Silva Vs. Quinton Jackson - Once, Twice, Three times I knock your dog-chain-wearin' monster-truck-drinvin' ass out.
Cheick Kongo Vs. Mostapha Al Turk - Kongo has never showed anything on the ground, going to have problems staying at the feet. I do like Kongo so hopefully he pulls out a KO.
Yushin Okami Vs. Dean Lister - I didn't know Lister was 6'1", I thought more at 5'8".

BengalMan
12-27-2008, 09:14 AM
I like your picks Ken and I agree, the Forrest and Rashad fight is a hard fight to call. Forrest is tough as nails, but Rashad lately has just been a beat on the ground and his striking is crazy. I think I'm going to take Rashad tonight. Mir is in the best shape of his life and is really ready for this fight, but I just think Nog is too damn good. Wandy is my all time favorite fighter and I think i'll take apart Rampage, earning him a title shot against the winner of Forrest and Rashad, which will be interesting considering Forrest is his training partner.

Ken
12-27-2008, 03:48 PM
I like your picks Ken .
Yeah, I'm really not sure how Forrest will win. I guess I think he'll stay alive for the decision. Evans has looked impresssive and i've liked the guy, and with his wrestling he has the tools to put this fight away.

Mir has been looking good, in an athletic non-sexual way, and while I've never been a fan I'm starting to like watching his fights.

goalie204
12-27-2008, 04:11 PM
I hope rampage vs wandy is similar to their other 2 fights, with rampage eating a lot of knees in the face.

Ken
12-27-2008, 07:27 PM
I hope rampage vs wandy is similar to their other 2 fights, with rampage eating a lot of knees in the face.
I'm not sure if he could like through that many knees again.:eek: they were good fights, though, so lets hope.

Mikey202
12-27-2008, 08:31 PM
Cheick Kongo Vs. Mostapha Al Turk - Kongo has never showed anything on the ground, going to have problems staying at the feet. I do like Kongo so hopefully he pulls out a KO.

Someone call the cops!!!! Kongo tried to murder Al Turk:D. Man, talk about a beat down.

goalie204
12-27-2008, 10:41 PM
good ufc

Ken
12-28-2008, 09:40 AM
Someone call the cops!!!! Kongo tried to murder Al Turk:D. Man, talk about a beat down.
:r How many times can I be wrong in one night?

So does Jackson get his a shot at the belt ahead of the winner of Machida and Silva?

Mir's standup is very much improved.

goalie204
12-28-2008, 09:44 AM
:r How many times can I be wrong in one night?

So does Jackson get his a shot at the belt ahead of the winner of Machida and Silva?

Mir's standup is very much improved.

Machida's last win was vs tito ortiz in a boring fight in May.
Silva lost and will probably have to redeem himself before a title shot, maybe by fighting Machida.

Possibly Rampage and Rashad next.

Mir looked amazing.

kgoings
12-28-2008, 09:58 AM
Silva lost and will probably have to redeem himself before a title shot, maybe by fighting Machida.

Possibly Rampage and Rashad next.

Mir looked amazing.

Cant wait for Mir Lesner II! Mir's gameplan was perfect. Rashad is a beast.

BengalMan
12-28-2008, 02:25 PM
Rampage vs. Rashad will be their next fight. Anyone else notice that he KO'ed Wandy the exact same way as he did to Chuck, just with his left.

Wolfslair is about to become THE CAMP to train at. With how good Bisping has done, how much improved Rampage's striking has come along and the pure murder that Kongo did to Al Turk.

On another note, Rashad proved once again he deserves to be undefeated at 205. He has hands down improved the most out of all the TUF'ers. His stand up is NICE.

Mir looked unreal. He completely dominated Nog, something I never thought would happen. I had a feeling Mir was going to come into this and do well, but never did I think he would completely own Big Nog.

This was hands down the best card of the year!

goalie204
12-28-2008, 02:33 PM
Mir's standup WAS phenomenal but one thing i've been thinking about since last night...Nog didn't seem to do much. He had very little offense, he just moved around and got hit. PLEASE UNDERSTAND, i don't want to take anything away from Frank, like i said, his stand up looked impressive, but perhaps big Nog could have neutralized it a little bit with some offense of his own. We might never know tho.

Ken
12-29-2008, 06:37 AM

Not much on Machida myself, though I believe there was indication that the winner would get a shot. But they both do need a bigger win.

Rampage vs. Rashad will be their next fight.
This should be a good fight. Rashad has been dominating his fights and I'll pull for him in this one.

Mir's standup WAS phenomenal but one thing i've been thinking about since last night...Nog didn't seem to do much.
You're not alone in wondering WTF Nog was or wasn't doing. The guy has good boxing and great ground skills, so where was it at. :confused: Mir may be good/great and he may be the better fighter, but he made Nog look like an outmatched school boy. I'm not saying it was, but watching the fight the thought came to my head that he tanked the fight.

Mir Lesnar II, can't wait.:bx

LordOfWu
12-29-2008, 12:08 PM
First thought of the fights...where were the submissions?!? Geez, every fight was a TKO or knockout (and there were some dramatic knockouts!) but I was hoping for just one submission!

NCRadioMan
12-29-2008, 02:53 PM
UFC 92 was a great card that didn't dissapoint me, at all. I was a little surprised that Rashad won like he did. Just a little. I like him alot but everytime I have counted Forrest out, he won. Nog's age and fights have caught up to him. He had nothing for Mir and Mir did look really good. Can't wait to see the re-match with Lesnar. Same with Wandy. I think all his tough fights have caught up with him. That was a hell of a left from Rampage. Hopefully he will not go on another "rampage". lol

Next good MMA card is on New Year's Eve with K-1 Premium 2008 Dynamite
Saitama Super Arena,
Saitama, Japan

Matchups: MMA Rules

Kazushi Sakuraba vs. Kiyoshi Tamura
Eddie Alvarez (No. 2 LW, No. 10 PFP) vs. Shinya Aoki (No. 4 LW)
Joachim Hansen (No. 3 LW) vs. Gesias Cavalcante (No. 5 LW)
Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic vs. Hong Man Choi
Semmy Schilt vs. Siala Siliga
Jerome LeBanner vs. Mark Hunt
Hideo Tokoro vs. Daisuke Nakamura

K-1 Rules
Gegard Mousasi (No. 5 MW) vs. Musashi
Tatsuya Kawajiri vs. Kozo Takeda
Yoshihiro Sato vs. Artur Kyshenko

K-1 King of Under 18 Tournament
Hiroya vs. Shota Shimada
Tatsuya Kusakabe vs. Koya Urabe

Then a few days later, Sengoku 7 on the 4th!

Saitama Super Arena,
Saitama, Japan

Matchups:

Sengoku Middleweight Championship
Kazuo Misaki vs. Jorge Santiago

Sengoku Lightweight Championship
Takanori Gomi vs. Satoru Kitaoka

Hidehiko Yoshida vs. Sanae Kikuta
Antonio Silva vs. Yoshihiro Nakao
Sergey Golyaev vs. Eiji Mitsuoka
Muhammed Lawal(King Mo) vs. Yukiya Naito
Dave Herman vs. Mu Bae Choi
Maximo Blanco vs. Seigo Inoue
Hidetaka Irie vs. Minoru Kato

BengalMan
12-29-2008, 05:37 PM
Going to be interesting to see if Bigfoot Silva will be able to fight in the states once again after ignoring the commission's suspension. Granted they don't technically apply over in Japan, the NSAC is notorious for taking it as a big F-U if you go to Japan and fight to avoid their suspensions.

kayaker
12-30-2008, 12:45 AM
I've read a couple of articles that mention Forrest's sloppy guard before Rashad finished him off. I think in his interview (and from rewatching that part of the fight I agree) Forrest says he was pretty out of it most of the time he was on the ground.

Rashad landed some pretty heavy shots, but I think Forrest was pretty well toast, just barely able to pull guard and survive a little longer. Then Rashad finished him off with the big right and followup punishment.

Forrest was winning in the stand up, but his kicks were getting sloppy and Rashad was able to capitalize. I hope someone strips the belt from him soon. He's a few good fights lately, but I'm still not a big fan.

Ken
12-30-2008, 06:06 AM
He's a few good fights lately, but I'm still not a big fan.
I've liked the guy though sometimes it's like having to eat cooked spinach for me. I like watching him fight and then he does those ignorant showboat antics acting like a buffoon and it's hard to choke down.

kgoings
12-30-2008, 07:07 AM
I've liked the guy though sometimes it's like having to eat cooked spinach for me. I like watching him fight and then he does those ignorant showboat antics acting like a buffoon and it's hard to choke down.

He has toned it down quite a bit lately, but I definitely know what you mean. He is certainly unique...he showboats for the fans, but then is extremely classy to the other fighters and in interviews.

BengalMan
12-31-2008, 08:18 AM
Holy ****, someone please tell me they saw Melvin Manhoef, a MW and last minute replacement KO Mark Hunt, a Super Heavy Weight!?!?!?!?

When I first heard that Manhoef was replacing Jerome LeBanner I was confused. Sure Manhoef is a highly touted MW with serious KO power, but for god sakes, Hunt has fought and beat CroCop in his prime and gotten kicked right in the face by him in the process.

What a sick KO, off his back foot at that. Very much like Rampage's KO on Wandy. Hunt went in sloppy, Melvin ducked and moved and threw the HUGE left hook, only Melvin's was followed by another right, but the left is the one that did it.

NCRadioMan
12-31-2008, 10:07 AM
Holy ****, someone please tell me they saw Melvin Manhoef, a MW and last minute replacement KO Mark Hunt, a Super Heavy Weight!?!?!?!?

When I first heard that Manhoef was replacing Jerome LeBanner I was confused. Sure Manhoef is a highly touted MW with serious KO power, but for god sakes, Hunt has fought and beat CroCop in his prime and gotten kicked right in the face by him in the process.

What a sick KO, off his back foot at that. Very much like Rampage's KO on Wandy. Hunt went in sloppy, Melvin ducked and moved and threw the HUGE left hook, only Melvin's was followed by another right, but the left is the one that did it.
I just finished watching the K-1 event. That was a sic KO. 18 seconds! Never seen Hunt go down like that before.

This was the card of the year! Alot of folks think UFC is the chit but compared to the fights in Japan, there is no comparison. Really great fights with lots of KO's and subs. Crocop destroyed Choi's knee. That's the only thing he could do with that dude. He's huge!

BengalMan
12-31-2008, 02:03 PM
Yeah Choi's knee just straight buckled from all those kicks. I still disagree with the whole WAMMA title thing. I'm confident BJ Penn would straight DESTROY Aoki.

Until the UFC joins WAMMA, their titles mean nothing......

goalie204
12-31-2008, 02:23 PM
I just finished watching the K-1 event. That was a sic KO. 18 seconds! Never seen Hunt go down like that before.

This was the card of the year! Alot of folks think UFC is the chit but compared to the fights in Japan, there is no comparison. Really great fights with lots of KO's and subs. Crocop destroyed Choi's knee. That's the only thing he could do with that dude. He's huge!

I like all MMA. I leave the business of it and comparisons of one organization to another to the media and the business people who cause some to fold, and buy each other out. I'm just glad i get to watch it all.

NCRadioMan
12-31-2008, 03:21 PM
I like all MMA. I leave the business of it and comparisons of one organization to another to the media and the business people who cause some to fold, and buy each other out. I'm just glad i get to watch it all.
I'm talking about the fights in general, not the business end of it. The good fighters that fight in Japan seem to be so much more skilled in all areas. Dream, Sengoku and K-1 cards are always great from top to bottom whereas the UFC will have 2, maybe, 3 great cards in a year. Plus, you don't have to be one of Dana's "boys" to make it big.

Ken
01-01-2009, 03:38 PM
Some pretty good fights. Overeem made Badr Hari look silly. Straight schooled that guy. CroCops fight was boring, but what can you do against such a giant. And Hunt KO'd in seconds. WOW!

NCRadioMan
01-05-2009, 09:26 AM
Just watched the Sengoku 7 event that held yesterday. More great fights! Here are the results:
Hidetada Irie defeats Minoru Kato via TKO (Punches) in R2
Maximo Blanco defeats Seigo Inoue via KO (Stomps) in R1 Head stomps are awesome!
Mu Bae Choi defeats Dave Herman via TKO (Punches) at in R2 Herman had this won early but didn't finish.
Eiji Mitsuoka defeats Sergey Golyaev via Submission (Armbar) in R1
Antonio Silva defeats Yoshihiro Nakao via TKO (Knee Injury) in R1
Muhammed Lawal defeats Yukiya Naito via TKO (Punches) in R1
Sanae Kikuta defeats Hidehiko Yoshida via Split Decision It's strange watching Yoshida fight without a gi.
Jorge Santiago defeats Kazuo Misaki via Technical Submission (Rear Naked Choke) in R5.
Satoru Kitaoka defeats Takanori Gomi via Submission (Heel Hook) in R1. Gomi Loses by Heel Hook submission early in the first round. Kitaoka is the new Sengoku Lightweight Champion. Thats two loses in a row for Gomi.
DEAN LISTER REQUESTS, RECEIVES RELEASE FROM UFC

Following a loss to Yushin Okami at UFC 92 in December, middleweight Dean Lister requested and received his release from the promotion and will seek a deal with a new employer in 2009. The news was confirmed to MMAWeekly.com on Sunday by Lister's management team at Haymaker's Empire.

According to his manager, Lister requested the release and the UFC granted his leaving the organization. The former Abu Dhabi champion is already in talks with several promotions, including Dream and Affliction, for a new deal.

During his time with the UFC, Lister amassed an impressive 4-2 record with wins over fighters like Jeremy Horn and Alessio Sakara, with his only losses coming against Nate Marquardt and Okami in his last bout.

With his release from the UFC, Lister isn't looking to sit out for very long. He wants to return soon with a new promotion.

The grappling guru is also looking for a shot at a fighter such as Ronaldo "Jacare" Souza or possibly new Sengoku middleweight champion Jorge Santiago, to get back in against top competition and prove his meddle as one of the top submission artists in MMA.

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=7898&zoneid=13

kayaker
01-05-2009, 07:18 PM
http://mmajunkie.com/news/13639/david-loiseau-agrees-to-new-ufc-contract-could-return-at-ufc-97.mma

David Loiseau agrees to new UFC contract, could return at UFC 97
by John Morgan and Dann Stupp on Jan 05, 2009 at 4:44 pm ET
Popular Canadian fighter David Loiseau (18-8 MMA, 4-3 UFC) will return to the Ultimate Fighting Championship for the first time in two-and-a-half years after after agreeing to a new contract with the organization.

A source close to Loiseau today told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that the fighter has accepted a UFC 97 bout with Ed Herman (14-7 MMA, 3-4 UFC), though the fight is not signed and could still fall through.

Although not officially announced, UFC 97 is expected to take place April 18 in Loiseau's home of Montreal, Canada.

The bout was first reported by CagePlay.com.

Loiseau, a former top UFC middleweight contender, eventually left the organization after a title loss to then-champ Rich Franklin and a subsequent decision defeat to Mike Swick. Loiseau, once of the UFC's most exciting fighters, then signed with the upstart EliteXC organization and promptly suffered his third consecutive defeat with a decision loss to Joey Villasenor.

Since then, though, Loiseau has gone 4-1, which included a TKO victory over "The Ultimate Fighter" and UFC veteran Solomon Hutcherson in his most recent bout in September.

Herman, meanwhile, has had a rocky road since his runner-up finish on "The Ultimate Fighter 3." After the loss to Kendall Grove in the live finale and a subsequent submission loss to Jason MacDonald in his following fight, Herman posted three consecutive victories (Chris Price, Scott Smith and Joe Doerksen) – all via stoppage.

However, Herman is 0-2 in his past two fights with a submission loss to Demian Maia and a close split-decision defeat to Alan Belcher is his most recent fight at UFC Fight Night 15.

BengalMan
01-05-2009, 07:44 PM
Nice! The Crow has always been a top favorite of mine because of how exciting of a fighter he is. I remember watching him back in the day in the UFC. Dude's elbows are razor sharp. If his mind is right, he may be a force in the division.

Steelergar
01-11-2009, 08:07 PM
I'm confident BJ Penn would straight DESTROY Aoki.

I don't know about that Aoki has some sick submissions and is very innovative. I saw him break a guys arm doing a flying arm bar within a couple seconds at the Rickson Gracie Budo Challenge. The UFC does not have the caliber of lightweights like they do in DREAM (or middleweights). Then again if they fought under UFC rules Penn would probably win because they stand fighters up just about everytime they go to the ground.

]

BengalMan
01-14-2009, 07:03 PM
Looks like they're working on Rashad vs. Rampage for the Columbus card. I sure hope so, because right now the floor seats I have for the show are getting me nothing.

Ken
01-16-2009, 12:43 PM
Can't wait to watch Hendo vs Franklin.

The Evans Jackson fight should be good as well. Hope you get to see that one.

NCRadioMan
01-16-2009, 01:47 PM
Can't wait to watch Hendo vs Franklin.

UFC 93 Weigh-In Results:

Main Event
Rich Franklin (203) vs Dan Henderson (202)

Mark Coleman (206) vs Mauricio “Shogun” Rua (205)
Jeremy Horn (185) vs Rousimar Palhares (184)
Alan Belcher (186) vs Denis Kang (184)
Marcus Davis (169) vs Chris Lytle (171)

Alexandre Barros (170) vs Martin Kampmann (168)
Antonio Mendes (204) vs Eric Schafer (205)
Ivan Serati (204) vs Tomasz Drwal (203)
John Hathaway (171) vs Tom Egan (169)
Dennis Siver (155) vs Nate Mohr (156)

kayaker
01-16-2009, 02:21 PM
Rich Franklin (203) vs Dan Henderson (202)
Mark Coleman (206) vs Mauricio “Shogun” Rua (205)
Alan Belcher (186) vs Denis Kang (184)
Marcus Davis (169) vs Chris Lytle (171)

These are the fights I'm most interested in seeing.

I still haven't decided if I'm going to go out to watch it, or wait until it shows up on the MMA vid sites. I don't think I'll bother renting it.

NCRadioMan
01-17-2009, 04:06 PM
Decent card. Nothing spectacular except when Kang tapped after beating Belcher pretty good.

goalie204
01-17-2009, 04:10 PM
card was pretty boring except the first 2 fights.

the nub
01-17-2009, 04:20 PM
Pretty uneventful. Waiting for GSP vs. Penn!!!

BengalMan
01-17-2009, 05:24 PM
Just as I thought, Hendo by decision. I really thought Coleman had Shogun in 3 until they got stood up. Then he get KTFO. That was a brutal uppercut that landed flush on Coleman's jaw.

BengalMan
01-17-2009, 06:54 PM
Churck Liddell vs. Shogun to be the Main Event at UFC 97
http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2009/1/17/726914/chuck-liddell-vs-shogun-ru

Alongside an Anderson Silva title defense, the co-main event of UFC 97 in Montreal is Chuck Liddell vs. Shogun Rua. The news comes from Dave Meltzer.

If the same Shogun shows up that we saw tonight, it is going to be a short night for him. It's funny to think about what would have happened if Chuck fought Shogun last June. He would have probably won and gone on to a title shot against Griffin and possibly another run on top.

Steelergar
01-19-2009, 04:38 PM
Affliction Day of Reckoning this weekend here is the fight card

PPV matches
WAMMA Heavyweight Championship bout: Fedor Emelianenko vs. Andrei Arlovski
Heavyweight bout: Josh Barnett vs. Gilbert Yvel
Light Heavyweight bout: Renato Sobral vs. Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou
Middleweight bout: Matt Lindland vs. Vitor Belfort
Lightweight bout: Chris Horodecki vs. Dan Lauzon
Heavyweight bout: Paul Buentello vs. Kirill Sidelnikov

HDNet matches
Light Heavyweight bout: Vladimir Matyushenko vs. Antonio Rogerio Nogueira
Welterweight bout: Jay Hieron vs. Jason High
Featherweight bout: Bao Quach vs. LC Davis
Featherweight bout: Albert Rios vs. Antonio Duarte
Welterweight bout: Brett Cooper vs. Patrick Speight

RHNewfie
01-20-2009, 06:10 AM
So... GSP vs Penn, thoughts? I watched the half hour show on them the other day, I think GSP is anticipating an improved Penn but I am not sure if Penn has a full understanding of what he is up against. I think GSP will come out on top, I'd like to say that he will demolish BJ but I'm not so sure about that. I sure hope so though!!!!

kayaker
01-20-2009, 09:11 AM
I think BJ could win with his striking if GSP is not careful I (a la Matt Serra). A submission is also possible but I think GSP will be able to avoid or muscle his way out.

Overall, both have improved a great deal since their last fight, but I think GSP is better.

I rewatched their first fight. Yeah GSP was bloodied up, but he definitely won the 2nd 2 rounds. Besides, he got eye poked and his nose broke from a skimming uppercut. It looked worse than what is actually was.

GSP round 2 by ground and pound.

Ken
01-20-2009, 09:42 AM
Some good fights this past UFC. Do not agree with the decision, but that second was pretty close. This fight really needed to be a 5 rounder. With fighters of this level they need to be pushed.

edited: Every time I hear Penn talk the more I can't stand the guy. I can only hope GSP beats him down and leaves the Prodigy broken.

Killjoy
01-21-2009, 09:41 AM
If everything goes according to plan, I will ve at the fight in Vegas for GSP v Penn. I know you are all going to think I am crazy, but I thing B.J. is going to win. GSP wrestling is great, but B.J. has probably the best BJJ for MMa than anyone in the world. The only problem for Penn will be if he cant get GSP off his feet, and that is tough.

I say Penn in 2 via sub...Rear Naked Choke

Steelergar
01-21-2009, 02:44 PM
GSP wrestling is great, but B.J. has probably the best BJJ for MMa than anyone in the world.

I say Penn in 2 via sub...Rear Naked Choke

I'm sorry but there are plenty of better BJJ than BJ Penn most of them just do not fight in the UFC. To name a couple Shinya Aoki, Ronaldo Souza, and Roger Gracie could all smoke BJ Penn in BJJ and Damien Mia is probably the best BJJ in the UFC.

Killjoy
01-21-2009, 02:48 PM
I do have to give you Mia...his skill are hot sex on a platter. Aoki is good but gets into trouble alot, and has little takedown skills..Souza is a beast too

Ken
01-23-2009, 08:12 PM
Fedor vs Arlovski Sat. nights people. Don't know who I'm going to pick on this one.:rolleyes: I hope Arlovski puts on a good fight.

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f217/shomanart/DayOfReckoningPC_Hoganphotos.jpg