Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=57)
-   -   Official SEC Football Thread 2011 (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=48587)

Stephen 12-06-2011 03:41 PM

Re: Official SEC Football Thread 2011

Quote:

Originally Posted by ninjavanish (Post 1494184)
Stephen, it seems your argument preculdes itself. Because without the support of "dyed-in-the-wool fanbases", alumni, and monetary boosters, no such a top flight coach would employed (or employed for long) by a school and therefore the top flight talent you speak of would not follow as you detailed. I'm sorry my friend, but this sport starts with the support of the fans, and it is from those basic building blocks that championship teams are born. Ticket sales, donations and booster money are what draw coaches, top flight players, and championships.

You speak as though these are unique to the South. Texas, Notre Dame and Ohio St. all have way more money at their disposal than any SEC school and I'd wager that none have as big a following as Notre Dame. Yet until last year Notre Dame had not so much as a bowl victory in over 15 years. I doubt it's because the fans didn't care.
Quote:

All pieces of the puzzle are important and it takes "the perfect storm", if you will, of all of them at once: broad fanbase, talented coaches, and talented players to cultivate a championship. But no piece is more integral to that equation as the culture of football within a given fanbase. Again, I think that you would be fooling yourself to think that the culture of football is predicated by the arrival of ANY coach ANYwhere. The flames of support may be fanned so to speak, but regardless, the fire comes from the so-called "rabid fandom". It is predicated on the fans supporting football. The arrival of a great coach or a top flight player or a championship is the direct result of the football culture of the region/area of interest. A coach may inspire a fanbase with great wins, and great players may endear themselves with memorable plays and performances, but they are all lost without the fans.

Nowhere did I mitigate fan support. But you could hope, wish, root and pray your little heart out for your team to do well, but if they don't have the coaching and players, it's a moot point. Is it a symbiotic relationship? Sure. Universities need money from fans to hire decent coaches, have nice stadiums and equipment to help recruit top players, etc. But at the end of the day, it's arrogance to think that the SEC is on it's current run because they have better fans. So, to use your logic, the previous three decades (70's, 80's and 90's) the Big 10, Pac-10, BigXIII/BigXII just had better fans than the SEC, that's why they won the vast majority of the National Titles during that span?
Quote:

In each of the schools you mentioned above, it was not some invisible force that propelled those schools to hire great coaches. It was the desire in the fanbase (born through their football culture) to see the once great teams return to greatness.

And yet, they're not propelled to greatness without those coaches (and the talent that follows coaches), as fervent as the fanbase may be. It's an insult to fanbases around the country to somehow think that one of the main reasons the SEC has won the last five (soon to be six) BCS Championships is because you're better fans. It flies in the face of obvious recruiting advantages the South has and gives credence where it's not due.:2

Stephen 12-06-2011 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ninjavanish (Post 1494222)
Wow, reading over this post again later, IT IS SO REDUNDANT.

Sorry about that.

You just wanted to make sure I understood.:r

Stephen 12-06-2011 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 1494238)
So, to use your logic, the previous three decades (70's, 80's and 90's) the Big 10, Pac-10, BigXIII/BigXII just had better fans than the SEC, that's why they won the vast majority of the National Titles during that span?

Meant Big VIII/Big XII, but I'm sure you guys knew that.

Powers 12-08-2011 03:46 PM

And the hits just keep comin': Charlie Weis takes the head coaching job of Kansas.

I never like that cheeseburger eatin' b@stard anyhow

longknocker 12-08-2011 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Powers (Post 1496425)
And the hits just keep comin': Charlie Weis takes the head coaching job of Kansas.

I never like that cheeseburger eatin' b@stard anyhow

Good Riddance, Huh, Michael? :D

OLS 12-08-2011 05:38 PM

I was reasonably shocked to hear that, mostly the good kind of shock because I looked at the
way he coached the Fla team this year and I was thinking, man, he either IGNORES the QB standing
next to him, NEVER talks to him, or he sits on the bench the whole game and doesn't watch and ignores
the QBs. I am thinking, 'they must be paying him in cheeseburgers' because he sure doesn't seem very
involved or doesn't have any desire to participate. I felt so sorry for the UF fans. COULDN'T be happier.

OLS 12-16-2011 12:57 PM

Erhuh..LSU's THE BEST, cough ehem, er....Merry Christmas and a sad new year to all my Bama friends.

OLS 12-19-2011 09:07 AM

Not too late to switch! Join members of the national sports media who are coming over to our side in droves.

ir13 12-19-2011 09:56 AM

Roll Tide!

longknocker 12-19-2011 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ir13 (Post 1507069)
Roll Tide!

:tu

Powers 12-20-2011 10:02 PM

Breaking News: A winning season means male students are more likely to party and have their grades suffer! :eek: I'm shocked

http://www.gainesville.com/article/2...9959?p=1&tc=pg

I'd like to see this study done at a real football powerhouse in the SEC :r

OLS 12-21-2011 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ir13 (Post 1507069)
Roll Tide!

Oh my god, say it isn't so....YOU have gone over to the darkest dark side?

Powers 12-28-2011 08:34 AM

2012 SEC schedules just released:

http://www.secdigitalnetwork.com/NEW...-schedule.aspx

OLS 12-28-2011 08:43 AM

Before looking I think I remember that LSU, whom I touted as playing anyone nationwide with a sack,
has a pretty weak non-conference schedule in 2012. Spoke to soon, OR hello two straight national
championships, lol. Why is everybody playing Texas A&M??? Did I miss something???

ROFL

ninjavanish 12-28-2011 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLS (Post 1514311)
Before looking I think I remember that LSU, whom I touted as playing anyone nationwide with a sack,
has a pretty weak non-conference schedule in 2012. Spoke to soon, OR hello two straight national
championships, lol. Why is everybody playing Texas A&M??? Did I miss something???

ROFL

Did you miss the addition of Texas A&M and Missouri into the SEC?

hammondc 12-28-2011 09:27 AM

Cannot wait to watch A&M get destroyed next year. Trial by fire....

Powers 12-28-2011 11:21 AM

Georgia looks to have quite the cupcake schedule next year

ir13 12-28-2011 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Powers (Post 1514414)
Georgia looks to have quite the cupcake schedule next year

They will still lose to Carolina I believe.

Stephen 12-29-2011 05:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ninjavanish (Post 1514343)
Did you miss the addition of Texas A&M and Missouri into the SEC?

Mike the Tiger still has a smile on his face, so Brad hasn't come up for air yet.

Powers 01-02-2012 10:28 PM

It appears Stanford caught the 'Bama syndrome and couldn't make a FG. On second thought, Oklahoma State displayed superior depth and balance :D ;) :=:

rizzle 01-03-2012 10:08 AM

Double heh.

jsnake 01-03-2012 03:26 PM

Missouri looked good in the Independence Bowl. The schedule has some really great games and I am hoping to make a few of them in Columbia next season. I am a little more optimistic about how Missouri will do next year.

rizzle 01-04-2012 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsnake (Post 1519319)
Missouri looked good in the Independence Bowl. The schedule has some really great games and I am hoping to make a few of them in Columbia next season. I am a little more optimistic about how Missouri will do next year.

Well, you're definitely coming into the East at a good time. I'd expect UGA to be the early favorite, followed by S Cacalacky. Florida is down, Tennessee is in shambles, Kentucky is waiting for basketball season to start, and Vandy, of all places, just might be on the upswing. But I'd expect Missouri to actually compete pretty well next year. It's when the East gets strong again that you gotta worry. Plus, you get Bama out of the West next year, too. I'm thinking Mizzou goes 4-4 or so in conference. Should be a neat inaugural year for you.:tu

OLS 01-04-2012 05:27 PM

Man I felt SO bad for Vanderbilt here Memphis for the Liberty Bowl....I thought they HAD that one,
but it just wasn't to be.
The people that thought I did not know about TAM and MIZZOU missed the ROFL a few lines down.

OK, second to last chance bama boys.....come over to the Purple side and you will not be harmed.
Continue to pull for the Elephant and be doomed to a year of having been wrong TWICE!
I DO realize that fandom trumps rationality, and the fact that our superior special teams, superior
kicking game, 'superior in numbers' running game and superior quarterback play is not nearly enough
to get through your skulls, lol, but it will not be thought of as weakness here if you admit you guys
have no shot, lol. I promise NOT TO TELL.

longknocker 01-04-2012 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLS (Post 1520523)
Man I felt SO bad for Vanderbilt here Memphis for the Liberty Bowl....I thought they HAD that one,
but it just wasn't to be.
The people that thought I did not know about TAM and MIZZOU missed the ROFL a few lines down.

OK, second to last chance bama boys.....come over to the Purple side and you will not be harmed.
Continue to pull for the Elephant and be doomed to a year of having been wrong TWICE!

No Chance, Brother! Roll, Tide! :D :tu

OLS 01-04-2012 06:37 PM

You know what really makes me chuckle??
Anywhere you find people commenting on the general BCS, you get these people angrily saying that they aren't
going to watch, that Ok St got hosed, or Stanford should have been put here or there, that the BCS is broken,
you couldn't PAY me to watch that pile of crap game.

Bull$hiT. I wouldn't doubt if it sets alltime BCS viewership records. People may say it's a bad result, but it's also
going to be like a slow motion car crash, people WILL HAVE TO watch. It's gonna be epic.

Stephen 01-05-2012 05:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLS (Post 1520586)
Bull$hiT. I wouldn't doubt if it sets alltime BCS viewership records. People may say it's a bad result, but it's also
going to be like a slow motion car crash, people WILL HAVE TO watch. It's gonna be epic.

I'll gladly make any sort of wager you deem sufficient.

OLS 01-05-2012 01:45 PM

Nah, that's not trolling for a bet, just that I think a LOT of people who "wouldn't watch it if you PAID me" are going
to be tuning in no matter what they say online. Look at what WVU did to Clemson last night (70 points). Certainly
didn't say much for the rise of 2011 Clemson lovers around the forum. Felt bad for em. But to see that happen to
Clemson and to reflect on the A$$-whippin we put on WVU and the one we put on Oregon, you HAVE to be interested
to see EVERY game LSU plays, just for the glory of football the way it's supposed to be played. :) Had Clemson
overrun WVU, I think I would have thought, 'hmm, I thought they were better than that.' Then look at how
close the LSU BAMA game was earlier in the year, and think, 'maybe these ARE the two best teams in football'.
Why not watch something featuring two superb teams? --edit-- I mean, football is going away for a VERY long time.
Why not go out with a gigantic bang? I call it must-see TV 2. I am not talking as much about the OK St. fans, they
are never going to forget this year. And I still think it's totally unfair for them. But they are also not better than UA.

Stephen 01-05-2012 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLS (Post 1521621)
Nah, that's not trolling for a bet, just that I think a LOT of people who "wouldn't watch it if you PAID me" are going
to be tuning in no matter what they say online. Look at what WVU did to Clemson last night (70 points). Certainly
didn't say much for the rise of 2011 Clemson lovers around the forum. Felt bad for em. But to see that happen to
Clemson and to reflect on the A$$-whippin we put on WVU and the one we put on Oregon, you HAVE to be interested
to see EVERY game LSU plays, just for the glory of football the way it's supposed to be played. :) Had Clemson
overrun WVU, I think I would have thought, 'hmm, I thought they were better than that.' Then look at how
close the LSU BAMA game was earlier in the year, and think, 'maybe these ARE the two best teams in football'.
Why not watch something featuring two superb teams? --edit-- I mean, football is going away for a VERY long time.
Why not go out with a gigantic bang? I call it must-see TV 2. I am not talking as much about the OK St. fans, they
are never going to forget this year. And I still think it's totally unfair for them. But they are also not better than UA.

Frankly, because causual fans have zero interest in watching another low scoring affair between two regional teams. Not to mention it's on ESPN, which further cuts into your audience. Sorry man, but I'd be surprised if as many people watched this year as they did last.

OLS 01-05-2012 05:10 PM

I doubt very seriously that people have no interest in watching another low-scoring affair. I do not doubt that YOU
do not want to, you are showing those cards, but people like seeing the best play the best, no matter the result.
As for ESPN, that is certain, in fact I am thinking about how much trouble I will be in if it is not on ABC that night.
Last year, our local ABC showed the game, which if I can believe what I read, states that it was the first ESPN only
NCG in history. I know ABC and ESPN are affiliated, but we will have to see. I can also watch on the net or walk
down to the tavern. But you are correct perhaps in that the numbers won't be biggest ever, but I refuse to believe
that 80% of this "I ain't watching" BS is true. It's FOOTBALL, and great power football at that. People like to seem
principled on the net where no one knows what's true and what isn't. Plus they like to run their mouths. Believe about
10% of that BS.

Stephen 01-05-2012 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLS (Post 1521818)
I doubt very seriously that people have no interest in watching another low-scoring affair. I do not doubt that YOU
do not want to, you are showing those cards, but people like seeing the best play the best, no matter the result.

1. No offense, but you have no idea what I do or don't want to do.
2. I am intelligent enough, however, to see outside my sphere and realize what your casual, hardly-ever-watch football, "fan" likes, and it ain't a low-scoring sloppy football game (which is exactly what the first game was) that's can best be described as, "been there, done that." In case you haven't realized, there is ZERO buildup to this game. Nobody's talking about it, nobody outside the South really cares all that much. That doesn't lend itself to record-setting viewership.
Quote:

Originally Posted by OLS (Post 1521818)
As for ESPN, that is certain, in fact I am thinking about how much trouble I will be in if it is not on ABC that night.
Last year, our local ABC showed the game, which if I can believe what I read, states that it was the first ESPN only
NCG in history. I know ABC and ESPN are affiliated, but we will have to see. I can also watch on the net or walk
down to the tavern. But you are correct perhaps in that the numbers won't be biggest ever, but I refuse to believe
that 80% of this "I ain't watching" BS is true. It's FOOTBALL, and great power football at that. People like to seem
principled on the net where no one knows what's true and what isn't. Plus they like to run their mouths. Believe about
10% of that BS.

You're right, a lot of what you're reporting being said is hyperbole. I'm simply stating that it's probably going to be one of the lesser viewed National Championship games in some time for a myriad of reasons.

OLS 01-06-2012 07:44 AM

Haha, why do people always lead off with no offense before they intend to offend.
None taken.

OLS 01-06-2012 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by powers (Post 1518733)
oklahoma state displayed superior depth and balance :d ;) :=:

catchphrase!

Stephen 01-06-2012 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLS (Post 1522503)
Haha, why do people always lead off with no offense before they intend to offend.
None taken.

Because my intent wasn't to offend, but simply reinforce that it's folly to try and ascribe me as one of those of which you speak.

Brad, I don't begrudge you for your elation. I'm simply trying to explain to you as to why your jubilation, save a small region of these United States, might not be shared.

rizzle 01-06-2012 10:53 AM

Oh, it'll be highly watched. And if it isn't, who cares? And who cares about buildup anyway? I don't need anyone who knows less than I to tell me their opinion. I've never heard so much whining in my life.

Stephen 01-06-2012 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rizzle (Post 1522738)
Oh, it'll be highly watched. And if it isn't, who cares?

I certainly don't. But the blind homerism in this thread reached critical mass about three pages ago...
Quote:

And who cares about buildup anyway? I don't need anyone who knows less than I to tell me their opinion.

Because it was (is) germane to the current discussion in the thread.
Quote:

I've never heard so much whining in my life.

Irony at its finest.

rizzle 01-06-2012 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 1522768)
I certainly don't. But the blind homerism in this thread reached critical mass about three pages ago...

Because it was (is) germane to the current discussion in the thread.

Irony at its finest.

It's delicious, isn't it.

OLS 01-06-2012 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 1522768)
But the blind homerism in this thread reached critical mass about three pages ago....

Then come back when your team has a year of SEC play under it's belt.
Or do you not pull for Mizzou?

Hell, I'd hardly call my Homerism BLIND. I used to have a pair of Snoopy
pajamas that said "It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am."
The I in the sentence is LSU in 2011, btw. No homerism in that, can you
name a better team? Can you name a team LSU WOULDN'T mop the floor with?

McSmokey 01-06-2012 02:37 PM

ROLL TIDE all the way Brad... That said I have seen Bama play and I've seen LSU play... I wouldn't place a bet on who's gonna win to save my own life.

Stephen 01-07-2012 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rizzle (Post 1522824)
It's delicious, isn't it.

Tastes like chicken. Southern fried, of course.:D

Stephen 01-07-2012 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLS (Post 1522961)
Then come back when your team has a year of SEC play under it's belt.
Or do you not pull for Mizzou?

Nah, I'm a loyal backer of the Nebraska Cornhuskers. Long story short; myself and my high school teammate were both recruited by Charlie McBride. He went on to have a nice NFL career, my left knee was completely destroyed my junior year of high school.
Quote:

Hell, I'd hardly call my Homerism BLIND.

Now grant you, I'm in the SEC thread so some strutting is to be expected, but what drew me in to the conversation in the first place was someone stating that the reason the SEC has won (soon to be) six National Titles in a row is because of the fans (paraphrased). And now you recently said that you wouldn't doubt if it was the most watched BCS game ever. Eh, I probably should've left well enough alone, but I'm stupid and jumped in anyways.
Quote:

I used to have a pair of Snoopy
pajamas that said "It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am."
The I in the sentence is LSU in 2011, btw. No homerism in that, can you
name a better team? Can you name a team LSU WOULDN'T mop the floor with?

Well, Alabama for starters.;)

OLS 01-07-2012 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 1523648)
Well, Alabama for starters.;)

Well, then let's get together on Tuesday to see what happens. I have a feeling you will have to
munch on those words.

I have tried to give a tough bama team their due in this whole argument, as the 2nd best team
in the USA, I still think they are. But they do not belong in this game.

OLS 01-07-2012 11:04 PM

"The common misconception is that all the players hate the BCS," said Alabama junior left tackle Barrett Jones,
who is undecided. (About a playoff) "It's hard to hate the BCS when you're in the SEC. It's been so good to us.
We feel if we win our conference, we'll have a chance to play for the national title."

Hahahahahaha...OK, I know what he MEANS, but this was especially relevant this year, lol, for jokes's sake anyway.

Stephen 01-08-2012 03:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLS (Post 1524123)
But they do not belong in this game.

As in a Championship game, I agree. It's my opinion that Oklahoma St. should've been given that opportunity, but that ship has long since sailed. But you asked who LSU wouldn't mop the floor with, and as the first game indicated, they did anything but.

OLS 01-09-2012 06:50 AM

What's HARDER than beating alabama TWICE????

OLS 01-09-2012 06:51 AM

Beating LSU ONCE................ROLL TI-GERS

ir13 01-09-2012 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLS (Post 1525122)
What's HARDER than beating alabama TWICE????

No one beats Alabama twice in one season :fu

ROLL TIDE !

OLS 01-09-2012 10:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)
MY FAVORITYE BAMA FAN IS IN TOWN, WOOHOOOO.
I hope this guy's 15 minutes never end, cause it is just awesome that he made the trip
to town AT LEAST to be in NO for the big game if he does not make the game in person.

Powers 01-09-2012 11:03 AM

Excited for the game, gentlemen! :tu

And if you need an excuse to have a few drinks:
http://kegsneggsblog.com/2012/01/09/...drinking-game/

OLS 01-09-2012 12:58 PM

I am surprisingly calm for a guy with no cable TV......