Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=57)
-   -   Official SEC Football Thread 2011 (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=48587)

OLS 09-26-2011 07:10 AM

Re: Official SEC Football Thread 2011

Congratulations USC fans on having the same feeling LSU fans have had for almost three years.
Looking at a quarterback with only occasional flashes of brilliance can give you acid
indigestion. I think LSU's Jarrett Lee is to be commended for understanding that even though
he was a star in Texas High School football, throwing Pick-6's as a career was not
getting it done. He then suffered the indignity of being a co-starter with a nimble-
footed, but not very smart or accurate Jordan Jefferson. He could have transferred or
been a dic&, but he waited patiently, learned A LOT, and is now likely the best QB in an
admittedly weak class of QBs in the SEC. Tyler Bray has more talent, but is too young &
dumb to be considered the best.

hammondc 09-26-2011 07:31 AM

Garcia is killing us. We really have no other option though.

ir13 09-26-2011 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hammondc (Post 1421019)

I think he should have put Shaw in after the second interception, it couldnt have got any worse.
The problem is Steve waits to damn long. Id rather give Shaw a chance after Gargia throws a couple of interceptions that let him continue to play terrible.

OLS 09-26-2011 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hammondc (Post 1421019)

Wow, KILLING YOU?? Killing you straight to 4-0?? I'd hate to see what would happen if something
bad were to happen, lol. :r Of course I don't WATCH. I am guessing it's the suspense that is really
killing you guys.

ir13 09-26-2011 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLS (Post 1421240)
Wow, KILLING YOU?? Killing you straight to 4-0?? I'd hate to see what would happen if something
bad were to happen, lol. :r Of course I don't WATCH. I am guessing it's the suspense that is really
killing you guys.

4 Interceptions and holding them to 3 points was nerve wracking. They werent close interceptions either, you could tell when it left his hand bc it was such a terrible pass. I mean how many times do you have to throw into double and triple coverage and get picked before you know you cant do it.

Powers 09-27-2011 02:36 PM

Alright Bama boys, what y'all think about the upcoming game in the Swamp??

I don't know quite what to expect from my Gators Saturday, a lot of questions still to be answered. Haven't had to show a whole lot offensively or defensively thus far. I'm excited to see how effective Rainey is against y'alls D and if our stellar defensive line can step up.

I can guarantee it'll be an exciting game to watch :tu

hammondc 09-27-2011 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLS (Post 1421240)
killing you guys.

Ha ha. I see your point. I suppose it is the fact that the Gamecocks keep tripping over their own...well, cocks. I drives me nuts how unstoppable the team would be if they could just get some consistency.

hammondc 09-27-2011 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UFPowersmoker320 (Post 1422563)

I don't know quite what to expect from my Gators Saturday, a lot of questions still to be answered. Haven't had to show a whole lot offensively or defensively thus far. I'm excited to see how effective Rainey is against y'alls D and if our stellar defensive line can step up.

Being a Gamecocks fan, I love it anytime Bama loses. Florida is the one exception. I hope Bama absolutely destroys the Gators. BIG TIME. I am talking something lopsided like 42-3.

Powers 09-27-2011 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hammondc (Post 1422572)
Being a Gamecocks fan, I love it anytime Bama loses. Florida is the one exception. I hope Bama absolutely destroys the Gators. BIG TIME. I am talking something lopsided like 42-3.

Why the Gator hate, jealousy :D ;)

I actually root for USC quite diligently since y'all got the ol' ball coach :tu

OLS 09-27-2011 03:58 PM

Well I for one hope UF beats Bama. I like bama more than UF, we know this....but I do not seed bama breathing
down my neck all year. If I can notch their record a bit, I'd be happier. BUT to be fair, I think it stands to reason
that the winner of the BAMA LSU game will represent the SEC in the NCG, so I guess it's better to wait for that to have
a TRUE sense of pride. Sorry to forego the whole "everybody else in the SEC" problem with my statement/prediction. :r

I know I can't wait to watch. Hope it's on National FREE TV. I would not go to a bar to watch it and I have no cable.
Ahhha, CBS, excellent. I think Bama goes into the Swamp and beats the Gators...........sorry NEW FRIEND, lol.

longknocker 09-27-2011 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UFPowersmoker320 (Post 1422563)

Yes, Sir!:tu Defense On Defense, Brother!:D :banger

longknocker 09-27-2011 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLS (Post 1422645)
Well I for one hope UF beats Bama. I like bama more than UF, we know this....but I do not seed bama breathing
down my neck all year. If I can notch their record a bit, I'd be happier. BUT to be fair, I think it stands to reason
that the winner of the BAMA LSU game will represent the SEC in the NCG, so I guess it's better to wait for that to have
a TRUE sense of pride. Sorry to forego the whole "everybody else in the SEC" problem with my statement/prediction. :r

I know I can't wait to watch. Hope it's on National FREE TV. I would not go to a bar to watch it and I have no cable.
Ahhha, CBS, excellent. I think Bama goes into the Swamp and beats the Gators...........sorry NEW FRIEND, lol.

CBS 7P CST.:tu

ir13 09-27-2011 04:15 PM

Ill be pulling for Bama. Rather play them in the SEC Championship as undefeated East vs Undefeated West.

I can dream right ? :D

icehog3 09-27-2011 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLS (Post 1422645)
Well I for one hope UF beats Bama. .

We agree on something, Brad. :r

rizzle 09-27-2011 08:11 PM

Well, I think it breaks down like this. Florida is going to have to make McCarron beat them to have a chance to win the game. I don’t know if he can do it, nobody does. But if Florida allows us to play our game, game over. A lot of factors working against us but this team has the chance to do something special. Saturday will probably be the toughest task we'll face all year even though they won't be the best team we'll face.

SvilleKid 09-28-2011 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icehog3 (Post 1422675)
We agree on something, Brad. :r

:gary:tg

But, of course, I might be just a little biased, especially with the years invested there!!:D

OLS 09-28-2011 06:45 AM

OK, good midweek question..........Which team does the SEC insert into the East that gives the best balance?
"THEY" say it's now official, TX A&M is IN.
So................

Some people say Clemson is a no brainer, but I think being maybe the best ACC team is a spot you don't give up.
It DOES give USC the critical in-conference rivalry game I think they are lacking now, a la MSU/MISS, BAMA/AUBURN.
Mizzou I think is just outside the area of influence and stretches plausibility to me. I like Florida State for again, in conf-
erence balance lacking for UF now, although they play the Seminoles now anyway. I say bring that game into conference
play for a REALLY interesting matchup each year. VA Tech ain't going nowhere, What about the Ramblin Wreck?? Speaking of Techs....you could ALMOST make a case for LA tech, but they're not too East....
I also like Troy, but that'd be three Alabama teams. Tough call.

One thing I hate about TAM getting in, they are going to sew up a lot of recruits LSU is getting now, we are
just cleaning UP in TX today.

SvilleKid 09-28-2011 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLS (Post 1423050)
OK, good midweek question..........Which team does the SEC insert into the East that gives the best balance?
"THEY" say it's now official, TX A&M is IN.
So................

Some people say Clemson is a no brainer, but I think being maybe the best ACC team is a spot you don't give up.
It DOES give USC the critical in-conference rivalry game I think they are lacking now, a la MSU/MISS, BAMA/AUBURN.
Mizzou I think is just outside the area of influence and stretches plausibility to me. I like Florida State for again, in conf-
erence balance lacking for UF now, although they play the Seminoles now anyway. I say bring that game into conference
play for a REALLY interesting matchup each year. VA Tech ain't going nowhere, What about the Ramblin Wreck?? Speaking of Techs....you could ALMOST make a case for LA tech, but they're not too East....
I also like Troy, but that'd be three Alabama teams. Tough call.

One thing I hate about TAM getting in, they are going to sew up a lot of recruits LSU is getting now, we are
just cleaning UP in TX today.

You hit all three that I think would work, and all three would be good fit, in my opinion, with all three having chance for in-conference, in-state grudge matches! Clemson, Ga. Tech and Florida State! I could live with all three. I agree that Clemson might be hard to get right now. Florida State would be third on my list. Georgia Tech would probably be my first choice. And, I think it would trip the SEC's academic trigger as much as A&M (apparently) did. Besides, I'd love to see Georgia and Tech square off each year!

Powers 09-28-2011 12:25 PM

I think Clemson would jump at the chance. Fans around here want it, but I believe Clemson is a founding member of the ACC, which makes it somewhat difficult. Don't forget also, Clemson and Georgia used to have a rivalry back in the day and they actually start a 1 and 1 next at Clemson.

The big question is, can the SEC handle one more school with orange as a prominent color ;)

SvilleKid 09-28-2011 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UFPowersmoker320 (Post 1423314)
I think Clemson would jump at the chance. Fans around here want it, but I believe Clemson is a founding member of the ACC, which makes it somewhat difficult. Don't forget also, Clemson and Georgia used to have a rivalry back in the day and they actually start a 1 and 1 next at Clemson.

The big question is, can the SEC handle one more school with orange as a prominent color ;)

ewwwwwww!!! I hadn't thought about that!!:noon:r

OLS 09-29-2011 06:00 AM

I can't handle the ONE we have NOW.

I think I am leaning highly towards Gtech now, too. I think it's an EASY get, too.
A lot of people say imbalance is OK in the SEC, but I would say that they need to get
it balanced before they even start playing as an expanded conference. No sense in one
side having an extra conference game to play while the other side plays sisters of the poor.
The only thing I don't like about expansion is it inhibits one avenue the TIGERS have been
pretty successfully riding to the top of the BCS of late, playing a great mix of non-conf. teams.

msgtmac 09-29-2011 06:41 AM

Maroon and White, Gonna be a dog fight in Ga Saturday.http://www.warblogle.com/wp-content/...iStateLogo.gif

msgtmac 09-29-2011 06:45 AM

Out of state loyality. My youngest," kneedragger " is a senior there.

Smokin Gator 09-29-2011 07:58 AM

Trivia question... when was the last time Florida was an home underdog?

Powers 09-29-2011 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smokin Gator (Post 1424133)
Trivia question... when was the last time Florida was an home underdog?

good question, don't know for sure. maybe the '06 Bama game, '08 LSU game, or if not I would think definitely sometime in the Ron Zook era

Smokin Gator 09-29-2011 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UFPowersmoker320 (Post 1424185)
good question, don't know for sure. maybe the '06 Bama game, '08 LSU game

Way before these!!!

emopunker2004 09-29-2011 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smokin Gator (Post 1424210)
Way before these!!!

Never? Because at the Swamp only Gators get out alive? :banger

rizzle 09-29-2011 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smokin Gator (Post 1424210)
Way before these!!!

FSU '03. Google is my friend. ;) Roll Tide!

Smokin Gator 09-29-2011 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rizzle (Post 1424245)
FSU '03. Google is my friend. ;) Roll Tide!

Yep, and before that I think it was FSU at the '99 game.

Powers 09-29-2011 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smokin Gator (Post 1424395)
Yep, and before that I think it was FSU at the '99 game.

Huh, interesting indeed. I'm extremely excited to see how Weis on offense and Muschamp/Quinn on defense go after the Tide schematically. We'll find out how good our 1st year group of coaches are on Saturday. Executing those schemes is the, well, elephant in the middle of the room :D

Smokin Gator 09-29-2011 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UFPowersmoker320 (Post 1424416)
Huh, interesting indeed. I'm extremely excited to see how Weis on offense and Muschamp/Quinn on defense go after the Tide schematically. We'll find out how good our 1st year group of coaches are on Saturday. Executing those schemes is the, well, elephant in the middle of the room :D

Yep, I am really excited to see how we stack up. Funny, though... I don't ever remember as many people asking "do you think we have a chance!" Have a chance!!! We are STILL the Gators and we have one or two athletes!!! Bama will be in the Swamp and the game time is 8:00. After drinking all day the fans will be in rare form and the place will be rocking.

Damn right we have a chance!!!! Go Gators!!!!

rizzle 09-29-2011 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smokin Gator (Post 1424512)
Yep, I am really excited to see how we stack up. Funny, though... I don't ever remember as many people asking "do you think we have a chance!" Have a chance!!! We are STILL the Gators and we have one or two athletes!!! Bama will be in the Swamp and the game time is 8:00. After drinking all day the fans will be in rare form and the place will be rocking.

By the way...you get my text the other day?

Powers 09-29-2011 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smokin Gator (Post 1424512)

I agree completely, and if it comes down to a field goal Sturgis has been rock solid from distance. Yet I am so jealous that UF has three home night games and I'm not there to partake in the shenanigans -(P

Smokin Gator 09-29-2011 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rizzle (Post 1424521)
By the way...you get my text the other day?

I don't text brother:confused:

Sorry!!

theycallmedan'lboone 09-29-2011 07:38 PM

Any chance Spurrier and USC (E) don't hang 50 on Auburn?

SvilleKid 09-29-2011 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theycallmedan'lboone (Post 1424838)
Any chance Spurrier and USC (E) don't hang 50 on Auburn?

Auburn will be lucky to get out with only 50 scored against them, IMO! Their defense hasn't been on the field yet! No reason to think it will show up this weekend. Really embarrassing last week to have the most offensive yards ever scored against an SEC team ticked off against Auburn. I think they need to stop worrying the loss of Cam, and get to the police department to report the theft of their defense!

longknocker 09-30-2011 03:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smokin Gator (Post 1424660)
I don't text brother:confused:

Sorry!!

http://youtu.be/ueZGsuOvXlU :r

emopunker2004 09-30-2011 04:39 AM

Can't wait til Saturday Night. Go Gators!

OLS 09-30-2011 06:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SvilleKid (Post 1424871)
Really embarrassing last week to have the most offensive yards ever scored against an SEC team ticked off against Auburn.

Really?? I would have sworn it was what WVU hung on LSU last weekend, lol.

As for me I am gonna go and have beers with my buddy Bill 86 in Nash Vegas, and crawl home
and catch the game on CBS, capping a fine day of fall enjoyment. If I don't get arrested on
the way home.

jjirons69 09-30-2011 06:56 AM

Don't get arrested, Brad!

Hey, I know this is the SEC thread, but us Clemson folk have opinions.

USC hasn't covered but once this year (against UGA), so I'm again taking Auburn with 11.5. Spurrier is still the best quarterback on the team and he should play at least one quarter tomorrow. He better be looking ahead to next year and who is going to lead the team.

I agree if Bama can play the game they have in the book, they will stomp Florida, which is also fine with me. Key is no turnovers.

Depending on which Les Miles shows up, the 28.5 spread is causing me some worry. I think I'll take them anyway, as Kentucky is not firing on all cylinders this year.

One would hope UGA cover cover 8.5 with Miss St. I betting on it. They'll be between the hedges, so that should give them more confidence.

I'm also taking my Tigers at +7.5. A victory will be sweet for the Tiger Nation who have suffered much inconsistency over the past years.

Go Orange (the Real one)!!!

http://ideaspot.net/flags/ACC/large/clemson.gif

Ok, I'll share the flag site for all you SEC fans!
http://ideaspot.net/flags/SEC/small/small.html

rizzle 09-30-2011 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjirons69 (Post 1425125)

USC hasn't covered but once this year (against UGA), so I'm again taking Auburn with 11.5. Spurrier is still the best quarterback on the team and he should play at least one quarter tomorrow. He better be looking ahead to next year and who is going to lead the team.

I agree if Bama can play the game they have in the book, they will stomp Florida, which is also fine with me. Key is no turnovers.

Depending on which Les Miles shows up, the 28.5 spread is causing me some worry. I think I'll take them anyway, as Kentucky is not firing on all cylinders this year.

One would hope UGA cover cover 8.5 with Miss St. I betting on it. They'll be between the hedges, so that should give them more confidence.

I'm also taking my Tigers at +7.5. A victory will be sweet for the Tiger Nation who have suffered much inconsistency over the past years.

http://ideaspot.net/flags/ACC/large/clemson.gif

Ok, I'll share the flag site for all you SEC fans!
http://ideaspot.net/flags/SEC/small/small.html

We'll consider you about 1/2 SEC, Jamie. Good to see you around , brother, and good luck this weekend. Your Tigers made me do a little happy dance a couple weeks ago. I'm not sure I like all your picks this weekend, but hey, I went 2-8 last weekend in my pool and 1-1 with the bookie. I think I'll stick with my day job, which ain't much better. :tu

jjirons69 09-30-2011 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rizzle (Post 1425148)
We'll consider you about 1/2 SEC, Jamie. Good to see you around , brother, and good luck this weekend. Your Tigers made me do a little happy dance a couple weeks ago. I'm not sure I like all your picks this weekend, but hey, I went 2-8 last weekend in my pool and 1-1 with the bookie. I think I'll stick with my day job, which ain't much better. :tu

Some weeks I do the George Castanza - I make my picks then submit the opposites. Either way I'm 10-10. :tu

ir13 09-30-2011 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjirons69 (Post 1425125)

Carolina didnt cover against UGA, they did cover the spread against Vandy though. http://ideaspot.net/flags/ACC/small/noclem-sm.gif

jjirons69 09-30-2011 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ir13 (Post 1425191)
Carolina didnt cover against UGA, they did cover the spread against Vandy though. http://ideaspot.net/flags/ACC/small/noclem-sm.gif

Doesn't matter, they're just like Notre Dame - no matter how you bet, you lose! Hope you enjoy that plugged Lusi during the Florida/Bama game!

rizzle 09-30-2011 12:16 PM

Scored some tix. Headed to Hogtown tomorrow. Roll Tide! :noon

OLS 09-30-2011 06:31 PM

NNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooo.

Jordan Jefferson had his charges reduced to misdemeanor simple battery and was
re-instated to the LSU Tiger roster.

Now thankfully, Jarrett lee has played SO WELL that surely he is the starter EVERY
SATURDAY, but I know Les Miles, and if he wants to mix it up and give the defense
something different to react to, he will put JJ in the game....and for the first time
in 4 weeks, I will once again feel like at any time, LSU could lose a football game.

Powers 10-01-2011 02:00 PM

My prediction:

http://i612.photobucket.com/albums/t...14371886_n.jpg

Go Gators!

SmokeHustler 10-01-2011 02:30 PM

Auburn vs South Carolina....lil late but my money's on the safe bet. Auburn all the way. 7th time is not the charm for the Gamecocks.

OLS 10-01-2011 05:13 PM

That's a Crocodile, Michael, hahahahaha.

WHEW LSU lets Jordan Jefferson handle the ball and they still win. Got a lot of kids into the ball game in preps for
the TOUGH Gators.
Man, NOW I see what you SC fans are all upset about. That's harder to watch than the LSU teams of yore.

Fordman4ever 10-01-2011 05:35 PM

The ending to the Auburn game was ridiculous. There was still 2 seconds left on the clock.