Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   All Cigar Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   To tap or roll??? That is the question (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=50146)

irratebass 10-16-2011 01:34 PM

To tap or roll??? That is the question

The other night I was out with some friends and I was snoking. I had a fairly long ash and this guy who thinks he knows everything about everything said it was time for me to ash. So I tapped it and he said I should have rolled the ash off.

I am sure its personal prefeenece, but it got me thinkijg and I have the roll tequnique and im not sure i am comfortable with it...+ I dont recall seing anyone do it at herfs.

So your opinions on this issue?

sevans105 10-16-2011 01:35 PM

Re: To tap or roll??? That is the question

Lol...sounds like kind of a d!ck. Never heard/read/seen anything about that mattering in the least.

icehog3 10-16-2011 01:38 PM

Do whatever you like to do. The guy is ridiculous.

LostAbbott 10-16-2011 01:39 PM

I can't imagine how that would matter at all, plus to only reason to knock off your ash is that you are worried about it falling on your chest or crotch or something...

T.G 10-16-2011 01:42 PM

Depends if you're tapping the ash itself or the body of the cigar. I've seen people destroy the wrappers on cigars by repeatedly forcefully tapping the body of them on the side/lip of the ashtray like one would do if they were ashing a cigarette. Not exactly "wrong" but not exactly good for the capa on the cigar either.

Past that, it's personal preference and how the cigar is rolled. Sometimes the ash breaks off clean with a tap, other times there's a cone of burning tobacco and rolling it off is more effective. Neither is wrong.

emopunker2004 10-16-2011 01:43 PM

I tap the body lightly. Eff that guy. Tell him to smoke his and you'll smoke yours. :sl

wayner123 10-16-2011 01:43 PM

Do whatever you like. You can even ash it on yourself ala Aldrin style!

BTW, does this same guy only use cedar spills to light his cigars with?

bobarian 10-16-2011 01:44 PM

Three match technique only. :sh
Posted via Mobile Device

neoflex 10-16-2011 01:48 PM

I do it both ways and as others said this guy sounds like a douche. Guys like that usually don't like me as I am not known for holding back. I probably would have replied back with some snide remark after he made both comments. If there is one thing that annoys the living sh*t out of me, it's people who think they know everything about anything.

Jasonw560 10-16-2011 01:58 PM

Sounds like this guy has a common ailment: The cranial-rectal impaction.

Tap, roll, it doesn't matter. I'd be right there with John, and say something sarcastic to him.

I tap because of the carpet outside. I don't want it falling off and burning a hole in it. Plus, I have ruined a shirt or two by having ash fall off early on.

gorob23 10-16-2011 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icehog3 (Post 1442539)
Do whatever you like to do. The guy is ridiculous.

Agreed! all my friends tell me it's time after I have already ashed myself (ok I served up a softball who wants it ;) )

Rob :tf

RCS44 10-16-2011 02:13 PM

Personal choice. I would hate to destroy the wrapper on a good cigar because you ashed it forcefully.

bobarian 10-16-2011 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RCS44 (Post 1442558)
Personal choice. I would hate to destroy the wrapper on a good cigar because you ashed it forcefully.

There's a difference between tapping and hammering. I smoke in my house, so I tap. Havent damaged a wrapper in five years. :sh
Posted via Mobile Device

mkarnold1 10-16-2011 02:21 PM

I dig a hole and tap lightly on the side of the cigar to ash into it. After a few smokes, the hole starts to fill up a bit. If somebody lets me know that I'm ashing incorrectly, I just kick him in the ash hole.

Bill86 10-16-2011 02:21 PM

I usually just lightly tap the cigar if the ash falls of it was time, if not meh I'll wait a few more draws.

I don't even know what roll it off means :sh

darkninja67 10-16-2011 02:28 PM

I smoke outside and just use a downward hand motion and the ash lets go.

Col. Kurtz 10-16-2011 02:28 PM

My ash usually falls off on the floor, or my shirt. If it doesn't come off with a light tap, I let it go. Without fail, it falls off three draws after the attempt. (little know addition to the rule of threes).

I have found much better smoking results by letting the ash stay on as long as possible. I used to obsess about tapping the ash off and had all sorts of burn problems.

emopunker2004 10-16-2011 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill86 (Post 1442565)
I usually just lightly tap the cigar if the ash falls of it was time, if not meh I'll wait a few more draws.

I don't even know what roll it off means :sh

Bill is wise, a drunk but wise :r

Maestro 10-16-2011 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobarian (Post 1442562)
There's a difference between tapping and hammering. I smoke in my house, so I tap. Havent damaged a wrapper in five years. :sh
Posted via Mobile Device

Amen to that.

OP - sounds like the guy is a dick. Smoke your stick however you like it man. If you damage a wrapper.. Well that's a mistake you only make once

MurphysLaw 10-16-2011 03:07 PM

Next time roll your ash into his drink :r