Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Samsung Galaxy S3 Data Usage (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=61170)

Coach Deg 03-24-2013 05:31 PM

Samsung Galaxy S3 Data Usage

We got the 14yo a Galaxy S3 for Christmas. The data usage is crazy on it. He had an Iphone for 2yrs and never went over 1G. Since Christmas he has gone over 3G in Jan, 3G in Feb, already over 4G for March. He is a smart and good kid. He swears he is always on the wifi. Any suggestions or explanations? Trust me I have already threatened to take away. And as much as I do trust him, we(me against him and wife) have fought about it.

Any help would be appreciated.

EricF 03-24-2013 05:39 PM

Re: Samsung Galaxy S3 Data Usage

I have an S3 for work and I never go over like that, but I am not a teenager. Make sure his phone automatically hits your WiFi when he is home, if not then he will probably go over his data allowance.

I have 19 y.o. at school and he pushes the limits on his plan every month since WiFi at his school is not very good. (His words). I also have a 16 y.o. and he never comes close to his limit as his phone hits the WiFi at the house as soon as it is picked up.

pnoon 03-24-2013 07:35 PM

When not on Wi-Fi, streaming music and/or video chew up data big time.
Also, have him double check, when he IS streaming content, that the wireless connection is still active.
Another data hog (when not on Wi-Fi) are email attachments.

Just a couple of things to keep in mind.

AdamJoshua 03-24-2013 07:42 PM

I was just talking to a friend who had this problem, android has an issue of leaving things running in the background and it will connect to the network to check for updates and other silly things, if this is happening 24/7 it will eat up your data as well as give you terrible battery life. One of the most common suggestions is to kill the data connection when you aren't using it, that is kill it when it's running in the background.

1.At the first go to main menu.
2.Now go to the Settings.
3.Now open the Wireless and Network settings.
4.Now tap on the Mobile networks option.
5.Now remove the select option for the Use packed data option.

I'm not 100% sure since I have an iPhone, but seems this is the 'common' cure for this problem and it seems it's a common issue.

BHalbrooks 03-24-2013 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pnoon (Post 1811380)
When not on Wi-Fi, streaming music and/or video chew up data big time.
Also, have him double check, when he IS streaming content, that the wireless connection is still active.
Another data hog (when not on Wi-Fi) are email attachments.

Just a couple of things to keep in mind.

What Peter said is spot on. Also things like Facebook, Twitter, etc. If he has those updating every hour, that'll eat data. Also News apps, weather. Have him run his phone from a full charge, go to settings, look at what's used his battery, and figure it out from there. :tu

Coach Deg 03-24-2013 07:43 PM

Thank you guys, I also just went through and stopped all background data. I did add up all his usage and it is about 600mb less then what AT&T is saying. AT&T is not sure why, but will credit me this month for the overage.

BHalbrooks 03-24-2013 07:46 PM

Do you know about the "Mobile Data Limit"? I have an AT&T GS3. Go to settings, data usage, then hit the "Set mobile data limit"

If you scroll down, it shows what's eaten your actual data. I completely forgot about this because I've been almost 100% on Wifi for the past 3 months. That should solve the problem.

dave 03-25-2013 11:11 AM

Cool thing about ATT GS3...you can see what's gobbling your plan. Don't remember exact path, but after my girlfriend went through nearly 3GB in first week, we drilled down through the droid menus and found that fn Google Plus (which she wasn't even actively using) had sucked more than half of overall usage to that point.

iaMkcK 03-27-2013 07:07 AM

If something like Dropbox is installed on the phone, or a cloud device -- every time you take a picture, it may be uploading to the cloud. My girlfriend would eat up over a gig in the first week, and it was because Dropbox was auto-uploading every picture she would take [8MP -- 4MB pics, 1080p videos auto-uploaded as well -- nightmare].. Just a thought.

Coach Deg 03-27-2013 02:51 PM

Thank you guys

dwoodward 04-02-2013 03:17 AM

Also, roaming eats up data, so if he is possibly at a new school or something that's not under a tower, just being there with his phone turned on is using up data.

ucubed 04-02-2013 01:01 PM

I've had the S3 since it came out on T-Mobile and I have wi-fi enabled all the time... with that being said my data usage rarely goes above 200MB. My thought was that if he did have it enabled, enabled doesn't mean he's connected to a network.