View Single Post
Old 12-06-2011, 07:37 AM   #484
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Official SEC Football Thread 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvilleKid View Post
Jeremy..... As we discussed, I went back and did a little research. In the weeks that they played.... Per Coach's poll: Both Bama and Oklahoma State played 4 Top-25 ranked teams each. Alabama played against 20, 12, 12 and # 1 ranked teams. Ok St played a 8, 21, 12 and 11. These were using the Coaches poll placement at the start of each game.

So, AT THE TIME of each game, both Bama and Ok St each played four top 25 ranked teams. And Ok St only played the fourth ranked team because of their conference championship game.
This is a pretty weak argument. This is like saying I am 30 years old because I used to be 30.
Teams like Florida were ranked on expectations near the beginning of the season and beat teams
that everyone else beat soundly up to that point and for the rest of the year. UT couldn't catch
a break and people ranked UF highly on expectations and pity it seemed like until people just realized they
were NOT a standard Florida team. Bama played two good SEC teams and 6 pushover SEC teams and
3 NC pushovers. Vandy played better than they have in decades but still didn't have enough juice
to be called a big threat to Alabama.
This is not me saying bama sucks, LSU is No.1, this is me saying if you are going to stand up and say bama
should be playing LSU and NOT OK St., then at least use some kind of real numbers. And if you are going
to throw in "OK St. only played the 4th team because of the conference championship game, then say that
in front of a mirror first and listen to how it sounds. Bama didn't win it's division OR conference championship.
I'd call the Uof OK win a HELL of a win and a HELL of a factor.

Of course your point could be that they got an extra game to rack up a top 25 win, Bama didn't...
but you PLAY HARD AND TAKE a berth in the conf champ, you don't get handed free stuff
cause 'this is your year'. ---edit--- and I understand your point, but this is a mid-season point,
this shouldn't be allowed at season's end. It's fun to look back and make notes and gather data
but this is hardly useful at this late date. To make my point, the computer rankings for the title
week compilation likely do NOT take any of this into consideration. This is just like the RPI, if
Memphis beats Tennessee in Basketball and UT is ranked #2 pre-season, Memphis has to PRAY
that they keep being awesome or their RPI plummets when they get shown for what they really are.

Last edited by OLS; 12-06-2011 at 07:50 AM.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote