View Single Post
Old 12-06-2011, 03:41 PM   #501
Stephen
Sultan of Cigars

First Name: Stephen
Location: Where the Pony Express began and Jesse James ended.
Trading: (18)
Stephen has a spectacular aura aboutStephen has a spectacular aura aboutStephen has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Official SEC Football Thread 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjavanish View Post
Stephen, it seems your argument preculdes itself. Because without the support of "dyed-in-the-wool fanbases", alumni, and monetary boosters, no such a top flight coach would employed (or employed for long) by a school and therefore the top flight talent you speak of would not follow as you detailed. I'm sorry my friend, but this sport starts with the support of the fans, and it is from those basic building blocks that championship teams are born. Ticket sales, donations and booster money are what draw coaches, top flight players, and championships.
You speak as though these are unique to the South. Texas, Notre Dame and Ohio St. all have way more money at their disposal than any SEC school and I'd wager that none have as big a following as Notre Dame. Yet until last year Notre Dame had not so much as a bowl victory in over 15 years. I doubt it's because the fans didn't care.
Quote:
All pieces of the puzzle are important and it takes "the perfect storm", if you will, of all of them at once: broad fanbase, talented coaches, and talented players to cultivate a championship. But no piece is more integral to that equation as the culture of football within a given fanbase. Again, I think that you would be fooling yourself to think that the culture of football is predicated by the arrival of ANY coach ANYwhere. The flames of support may be fanned so to speak, but regardless, the fire comes from the so-called "rabid fandom". It is predicated on the fans supporting football. The arrival of a great coach or a top flight player or a championship is the direct result of the football culture of the region/area of interest. A coach may inspire a fanbase with great wins, and great players may endear themselves with memorable plays and performances, but they are all lost without the fans.
Nowhere did I mitigate fan support. But you could hope, wish, root and pray your little heart out for your team to do well, but if they don't have the coaching and players, it's a moot point. Is it a symbiotic relationship? Sure. Universities need money from fans to hire decent coaches, have nice stadiums and equipment to help recruit top players, etc. But at the end of the day, it's arrogance to think that the SEC is on it's current run because they have better fans. So, to use your logic, the previous three decades (70's, 80's and 90's) the Big 10, Pac-10, BigXIII/BigXII just had better fans than the SEC, that's why they won the vast majority of the National Titles during that span?
Quote:
In each of the schools you mentioned above, it was not some invisible force that propelled those schools to hire great coaches. It was the desire in the fanbase (born through their football culture) to see the once great teams return to greatness.
And yet, they're not propelled to greatness without those coaches (and the talent that follows coaches), as fervent as the fanbase may be. It's an insult to fanbases around the country to somehow think that one of the main reasons the SEC has won the last five (soon to be six) BCS Championships is because you're better fans. It flies in the face of obvious recruiting advantages the South has and gives credence where it's not due.
Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote