View Single Post
Old 01-10-2012, 10:53 AM   #578
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Trading: (52)
SvilleKid has disabled reputation
Default Re: Official SEC Football Thread 2011

Well, the game was the defensive struggle I thought it would be. I am truly shocked at the lack of points from LSU. That outcome I would have bet against strongly! While it fits with Bama's defensive stats this year, there's no way anyone would have/should have expected that. I figured (especially when all Bama did in first half was FGs) the game would end up a reverse of the first game (Bama 9, LSU 6).

But I enjoyed the defensive excellence (from both teams) that is the mark of true championship teams (again, from both sides). Beat the heck out of watching most of the other bowl games where both teams pretty much scored at will. How many bowl games broke records in points scored, or other offensive catagories???

It's a two phase game. No defense, no national title or shot at a national title. Defense has been key in the SEC's wins over the last six seasons. The scores may not seem to reflect that in a couple of the games, but re-watch those games. Several were won befor the losing team tacked on a closing score where the winner basically traded a score that did not matter for time off the clock.

As far as boring..... I turned off most of the offense free-for-all bowl games at half time, because the looked like basketball games with all that uncontested running up and down the field, each team scoring at will! That's not football. That's barely half the game.