View Single Post
Old 04-10-2014, 11:16 AM   #478
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gardeners in the Asylum

Cuttings are actually grafted on rootstock that's bred for specific areas.
What generally happens is that the roots from the grafted cultivar aren't strong enough, can't withstand the moisture, soil makeup, climate, etc.
It's much akin to trying to introduce a Largemouth Bass to the Atlantic Ocean.

What you CAN get away with, Mikey, is to graft your branch onto pretty much any kind of apple tree you already have growing. You can graft any number of species onto the same tree. The most I ever had was five types of apples on one tree.

Here's another thing...
Your apple trees you see grafted on root stock aren't normally grafted onto apple rootstock. In my area back home we used sickle pear rootstock because it was a wild rootstock that thrived in that area. Those trees grew anywhere, but were worthless for root production.

So there's a lot of things you can do that'll work, Mikey. You just picked the one thing that's doomed.
Ya know, if you can grow that thing out in a container with perfect soil and water, and the roots don't freeze and die this winter, you could take all kinds of grafts off it and put on other established trees.

I have a book here somewhere, if I can find it I'll give you a holler.