Thread: first pipe
View Single Post
Old 04-10-2022, 01:55 PM   #10
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future
Default Re: first pipe

Oh my goodness you guys! I love it!

I have been smoking a pipe since I began smoking cigars - the kind of ran concurrently for me. Sometimes more one than the other. I do smoke my pipe more in the winter as I have a vent fan in the parsonage study, and people get a bit less upset with minor residual pipe smoke than they do cigar smoke. I usually get in one pipe at the end of the day on most days in the winter.

So, I am only to happy to help beginners.

If I can start with a way of thinking, this seems to work for me. A pipe is for contemplative moments, it is cerebral... A cigar is more social, it is interactive. Yes, both can go the other way, but this is a general approach/rule.

Here are a couple tips because pipe smokers can segue into cigars much more easily than cigar smoker can segue into the pipe. It is because a cigar produces a copious volume of smoke and usually has very bold flavors.

With that in mind, cigar smokers need to remember a couple things.

1a. Don't expect to get the same volume of smoke from a pipe as you do a cigar.
2b. Don't expect the same boldness of flavor from a pipe as you do a cigar.

2a. If you try to get the same volume of smoke from a pipe as you do a cigar, you will know in a hurry - and it is a very painful lesson.
2b. If you try to get the same boldness of flavor, you will be sorely disappointed and want to give up.

There are a couple key factors in smoking a pipe.
1) filling it
2) getting an even burn going (char, tamp, char, tamp, char, tamp...till it is lit)
3) "sip" the pipe, don't hurf on it
4) Look for subtleness of flavors.

Considering this.
Aromatics seem to have the boldest flavors, and everyone knows the scent of an aromatic... Some never get beyond that. That's cool!

Next come those blends strong in Latakia, again there is a bolder flavor that satisfies the desires of the palate.

Not everybody will agree with this, but if you can get to enjoy straight Virginias or Virginias with Perique, there are subtle flavors that when sipped, play a virtual symphony upon the palate.

If you want to ask more questions, I am only to glad to help.