Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old Today, 06:32 AM   #1
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future
Default Computer Geeks Help

Hey friends. I bought a MacBook Air with an intel i5 processor in early 2020. It's 16 gigs of memory and a 256 hard drive.

I don't do any intensive stuff on it, mostly web, YouTube videos, occasionally YouTube TV, Amazon Prime Video. I have a couple simple spreadsheets for work that I edit monthly and print. Email, etc. Don't do any photo editing to speak of and if I edit a photo it's done with apple photos app, no video processing or anything like that.

I don't necessarily need more storage since my 256 hard drive has way over a 100 gigs free. I use the setting whereby most of my photos and documents are stored on iCloud.

I do usually have safari set to have 5 tabs open all the time. It's the 5 websites I interact with the most and of course one of them is CA.

I am considering buying the new MacBook Air M3 which would be a huge upgrade.

With the AI built into the system coming in Mac OS Sequoia, I am not sure which configuration to get.

The Base model of course has 8 gigs of unified memory with 256 gig ssd. Watched videos on YouTube about it and there are tons that say that the base model is fine for most people that do what I do with a laptop. Then there are others that say you really should upgrade to the 16 gigs of unified memory and 512 gig ssd. The difference in price is $400. It's $200 for 16 gigs, and $200 for the 512 gig ssd.

I do tend to keep laptops for as long as possible, and am only upgrading because my MacBook is the last model made before Apple introduced the M silicon, and it won't be able to do the AI that is baked into the new Mac OS arriving in the fall.

AI isn't something that I will probably use much, but I do like to stay somewhat up to date on hardware.

Any insight or experience anyone has had will be helpful in deciding which one to get.

Thanks!!!!!
G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:56 PM   #2
Mikepd
I Miss Pnoon

First Name: Michael
Trading: (10)
RA
Mikepd has disabled reputation
Default Re: Computer Geeks Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by G G View Post
Hey friends. I bought a MacBook Air with an intel i5 processor in early 2020. It's 16 gigs of memory and a 256 hard drive.

I don't do any intensive stuff on it, mostly web, YouTube videos, occasionally YouTube TV, Amazon Prime Video. I have a couple simple spreadsheets for work that I edit monthly and print. Email, etc. Don't do any photo editing to speak of and if I edit a photo it's done with apple photos app, no video processing or anything like that.

I don't necessarily need more storage since my 256 hard drive has way over a 100 gigs free. I use the setting whereby most of my photos and documents are stored on iCloud.

I do usually have safari set to have 5 tabs open all the time. It's the 5 websites I interact with the most and of course one of them is CA.

I am considering buying the new MacBook Air M3 which would be a huge upgrade.

With the AI built into the system coming in Mac OS Sequoia, I am not sure which configuration to get.

The Base model of course has 8 gigs of unified memory with 256 gig ssd. Watched videos on YouTube about it and there are tons that say that the base model is fine for most people that do what I do with a laptop. Then there are others that say you really should upgrade to the 16 gigs of unified memory and 512 gig ssd. The difference in price is $400. It's $200 for 16 gigs, and $200 for the 512 gig ssd.

I do tend to keep laptops for as long as possible, and am only upgrading because my MacBook is the last model made before Apple introduced the M silicon, and it won't be able to do the AI that is baked into the new Mac OS arriving in the fall.

AI isn't something that I will probably use much, but I do like to stay somewhat up to date on hardware.

Any insight or experience anyone has had will be helpful in deciding which one to get.

Thanks!!!!!
Greg, I upgraded my MacBook Air in January shortly before the announcements of the new M3 models, but knew through the rumors and tech sites that a new model with the M3 chip was coming. I bought an M2 MacBook Air with 8GB memory and paid to upgrade the HD to the 512GB SSD, over upgrading the memory.

My view is anything that I might do that needs extensive memory (16GB) would be on a desktop where heat dissipation and power regulation is much better than any laptop. Also all the features of Sequoia will work with any series the Apple Silicon chips (M1, M2, or M3), and since Apple is still supporting MacBook Air models with Intel chips, I foresee the M2 being supported for years to come.

So for me, the deep savings of last years model with little to no noticeable differences than this years models, and the dependability of adding Apple Care for three years, which still put me ahead of the pricing on the new models, made it an easy decision.

For what it sounds like you'll be doing, the base model with the M3, or even the M2 chipset, sounds like it would be fine, and if you wanted to upgrade something at time of purchase, I'd go with the larger hard drive over upgrading the memory. The only time I'd suggest to upgrade the memory with what you're doing, is if you went with a MacBook Pro for its display features.
Mikepd is online now   Reply With Quote