Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 07-16-2012, 08:31 PM   #1
Sonic04GT
Feeling at Home

First Name: Chris
Trading: (0)
Army (Served With Honor)
Sonic04GT will become famous soon enough
Default Are my cigars in trouble?

I've been somewhat neglecting them since I started school because I've been so darn busy and have hardly had the chance to even sit down and smoke.

Well, both of my 50ct humidors don't seem to want to hold humidity anymore. They are stored on top of each other, in the coolest room in the house, normally around 73 or so. Normally their readings are within 1-2% of each other, and fluctuate simultaneously with temperature.

Lately they've been around 56-57% and I believe have been down as low as 53-54% maybe? They're around 56% now.

I have a small Ci-gel jar in one, and 2 Drymistats in the other. Can't seem to get it to go up any higher.

How long do you think they could have survived at humidity this low?

I find it odd that they used to hold 60-65% perfectly, and now they BOTH dropped. I noticed this after I moved them upstairs while visiting family was in the aforementioned room I normally keep them in. It's much warmer upstairs but they haven't really been the same even after returning to the original room months ago.
Sonic04GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 08:34 PM   #2
Ogre
****CENSORED****

First Name: Larry
Trading: (46)
Montecristo
Ogre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant future
Default Re: Are my cigars in trouble?

I would move the cigars to Tupperware containers and reseason your humidors. Cigars are rezilant and may bounce back just fine, it may just take a little while.
Old 07-16-2012, 08:35 PM   #3
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Your cigars will be fine.

Recharge the humidifiers and smoke a cigar. If you don't like how it smokes, consider re-seasoning the humidors.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 08:37 PM   #4
688sonarmen
Shipmate!

First Name: Jake
Trading: (17)
Bolivar Navy (Active)
688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice

They could be ok maybe 2 months or so with RH that low, not real sure. But AC might be the culprit for the lower than normal RH. Mine has been on all summer and I have gone through about 1/4 gallon of DI water in my Cab that holds about 2,000. In the spring time and late winter I don't have to add anything.
688sonarmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 08:53 PM   #5
theonlybear4CORT
RIP Nick Montano

First Name: Mike
Trading: (14)
theonlybear4CORT has disabled reputation

send em to me.
theonlybear4CORT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:42 PM   #6
Sonic04GT
Feeling at Home

Army (Served With Honor)

Haha I haven't reached that desperate of measures yet! I'm going to smoke the crap out of them, come end of semester in August.

I have already recharged the humidifiers and it doesn't seem to have made much of a difference. I had them in tupperware for a day or two while I did the shot glass seasoning on one, but apparently it wasn't enough.

I'll probably go ahead and put them back in tupperware and season both humidors for about a week, or just wipe em down with a damp sponge.
Old 07-16-2012, 09:46 PM   #7
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

It will take a week or three or more for your cigars to readjust. They do not react quickly unless there is a real shock (e.g., bringing one outside in the middle of a cold, dry winter).

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:49 PM   #8
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Some folks keep their cigars in the high 50s RH constantly. While the cigars may not smoke exactly to your liking, they certainly are not in any danger or ruined.

Relax. It's fine.
Old 07-16-2012, 10:06 PM   #9
Sonic04GT
Feeling at Home

Army (Served With Honor)

Thanks for the reassurance, guys

I used to be on the verge of OCD when it came to cigars, but let my guard down a few months ago. I miss this hobby but school has been killin' me. If I'm out smoking, I feel guilty as if I should be studying haha Procrastinating doesn't help much either.

If I have the time I'll light one up tomorrow and see how it smokes. Either way I'm pretty sure I'll be re-seasoning.
Old 07-16-2012, 10:22 PM   #10
dwoodward
Gentlemen, you may smoke!

First Name: Derrick
Trading: (26)
HUpmann
dwoodward will become famous soon enoughdwoodward will become famous soon enough

Re seasoning is a good idea. Don't be afraid to go overboard lol. Btw, your cigars will be just fine, give him a month to recouperate and they will be practically good as new.
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 12:22 AM   #11
Ratters
Have My Own Room

Trading: (2)
Ratters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the rough

Living in South Florida I'd think your problem would be your cigars being over humidified. Don't stress, cigars are way more resiliant than people give them credit for. I've had a Brick House sitting on my office desk for almost a year. When it reaches a year I'm gonna smoke it. My guess is it'll smoke a bit hot but be fine. We'll see. I don't think 2 months is going to be much of a problem.
Ratters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 06:09 AM   #12
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

First Name: Darren
Trading: (13)
LFdC Navy (Served With Honor)
Subvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to all

Is it possible that your hygro batteries are weak?
Old 07-17-2012, 06:19 AM   #13
jonumberone
Raw Dog

First Name: Dom
Trading: (62)
RA
jonumberone has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subvet642 View Post
Is it possible that your hygro batteries are weak?

Exactly what I was thinking as I read this thread!
Old 07-17-2012, 10:58 AM   #14
lenguamor
puta por Ninfas!

First Name: Joe
Trading: (23)
PL
lenguamor will become famous soon enoughlenguamor will become famous soon enough

Beads.
Old 07-17-2012, 11:14 AM   #15
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Your humidors are leaky. If you aren't going to be around to fuss over them, put them in a garbage bag and tie it off. That'll make for a nice protective bubble while you're gone.
Old 07-17-2012, 12:43 PM   #16
neoflex
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: John
Trading: (32)
RA
neoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really nice

As others mentioned I would look at your hygrometers first and foremost especially since when re-seasoning your not seeing an improvement.
My little trick when re-seasoning is taking a small bowl of distilled water and warm it up in the microwave for a couple minutes. Carefully place the bowl in the empty (of course)humidor and keep it closed for a week. I find the warmer water spikes the box out of the gate and gets it to hold steady faster.
Old 07-17-2012, 05:16 PM   #17
Sonic04GT
Feeling at Home

Army (Served With Honor)

Wow I've never heard of that but I'll give it a shot.

As far as the batteries, I bought the hygrometers at different times but they're both less than a year old. Caliber III's
Old 07-17-2012, 06:56 PM   #18
sikk50
Just Bored Really...

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (13)
LGC
sikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post
Some folks keep their cigars in the high 50s RH constantly. While the cigars may not smoke exactly to your liking, they certainly are not in any danger or ruined.

Relax. It's fine.
This is me
Old 07-17-2012, 07:04 PM   #19
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

I am with the crowd who thinks that neglect put your humidors in JUST enough need of water that the cigars
sucked what moisture was in the wood and the whole system shrunk back and the air gaps in the wood surfaces
in the sealing department just lost their good seal. You need to re-season them as a few have suggested, IMO.

As the others have also said, there is not much wrong with a cigar that sat too long in low humidity. I like em a
bit dryer personally. But if the humidors do not hold at a level of your choosing, you need to try that NEOFLEX
steam treatment, lol. That'll get her rolling again.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 08:06 PM   #20
Skywalker
BABOTL

First Name: Dice
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Skywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud of

I love this place! No one freaks out and says OMG!

The other day while rearranging my vino I noticed a little white mold on a couple of cigars in one box, didn't panic because of what I have learned here!

What a great place with great advice!

Smoke what you like!!!
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote