|
|
|
|
|
#1 |
|
Gentlemen, you may smoke!
|
I generally mix my rum with coke...with this in mind, I stay away from really high end sipping rums, but I have some suggestions for you that are very nice and reasonably priced.
El Dorado 8 & 12 (15 yr or 21 yr for sipping) Flor de Cana 5 (this is great Nicaraguan Rum with coke and lime...and many Nica cigars) I'm interested in buying my first bottle of single malt over the holidays. Maybe you can help me here...I've read a lot, and it seems the Highland Park 12 is a decent beginner choice. Any other suggestions? Cheers! |
|
|
|
|
|
#2 | |
|
Shameless epicurian
Join Date: Apr 2014
First Name: Neil
Location: Winnipeg, Canada - Home of the Jets!
Posts: 1,631
Trading: (26)
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() |
Quote:
Highland Park is really fine whiskey. Personally I like the 18 year old version, which has a distinct heather/floral note to it. Macallan is also easy to get into, as it is usually sherry-esque and is fantastic with Cuban cigars. Leave Islay's peated monsters for later. These are IMHO the best in scotch to pair with cigars and oysters, but are not easy as a starting point. Follow the "dew on the rose" principle. Try the malt straight up - no ice anywhere near the glass* - after trying it neat, add the tiniest bit of water (dew on the rose) - which will bring out the more delicate aromas. (*Chilling the scotch will make the esters precipitate, and you lose half the aroma.) It is 8:00am and I'm thirsty......
__________________
"Well I ain't often right but I've never been wrong.... Jerry Garcia (R.I.P.) |
|
|
|
|
|
|
#3 |
|
Have My Own Room
|
My favorites:
Ron Zacapa XO - pricey but really good. Ron Zacapa 23 - my go to when I can find it on sale. Zaya - pretty good and I can find it for around $25 a bottle. |
|
|
|
|
|
#4 |
|
Going to the darkside....
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
#5 |
|
Guest
Posts: n/a
|
OK - thanks for all the superb recommendations. Looks like these three are the ones most often suggested... Flor de Cana Centenario 12-year, Ron Zacapa Centenario 23, Zaya 12-year.
Will probably start with the Zaya or the Zacapa. This weekend will be a treat! Now... what cigar to best enjoy with???
|
|
|
|
#6 | |
|
Just an old Wiseguy!
|
Quote:
__________________
A real man only needs Seven things in his life, Cigars, Women, Guns, Whiskey, Beer, Beans & Bacon! |
|
|
|
|
|
|
#7 | |
|
Guest
Posts: n/a
|
Quote:
|
|
|
|
|
#9 |
|
That's a Corgi
|
Had a glass of that last night at Jimmy's cigar lounge in Singapore with an ERDM Grande d'Espana. Very smooth and mellow rum. Kind of bottle that would disappear quickly. $35 a glass at the lounge.
__________________
Port Wine & Claret | British Cars | Welsh Corgi's |
|
|
|
|
|
#10 | |
|
Going to the darkside....
|
Quote:
$35? Ouch. They're usually low to mid $40s per bottle in my area. |
|
|
|
|
|
|
#11 | |
|
That's a Corgi
|
Quote:
__________________
Port Wine & Claret | British Cars | Welsh Corgi's |
|
|
|
|
|
|
#13 | |
|
Gentlemen, you may smoke!
|
Quote:
I agree, I will go neat to start...then build from there.
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
#14 | |
|
Guest
Posts: n/a
|
Quote:
|
|
|
![]() |
| Thread Tools | |
| Display Modes | |
|
|