Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 08-18-2013, 06:38 PM   #2201
BaitFish
BOTL

First Name: Carl
Trading: (0)
Cohiba
BaitFish is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Beginner Questions (Ask Them Here!)

Alright, I've got a question regarding Heartfelt beads.

I recently ordered a 100ct humi this past week and decided to order some Heartfelt beads to use instead of the Drymistats I've been using in my old 50ct.

I understand that having too much is not an issue and can be beneficial so I went with the extra large 65% tube (4oz). I have been reading up on how to properly charge the beads and understand that it's preferable to leave some dry to absorb excess moisture.

My question is this- would there be any benefit to fully charging the extra large tube (4oz) on the bottom of the humi and having a dry medium tube (1oz) on the top shelf to absorb excess moisture?

Am I over thinking this? Should I just charge the extra large as recommended and leave it be?

Sorry for the long post. I look forward to your responses. Thanks.
BaitFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 06:53 PM   #2202
CamoFlogged
...may I have another?

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (11)
Montecristo
CamoFlogged will become famous soon enoughCamoFlogged will become famous soon enough

You are over thinking this. I have a few pounds of HF beads and HCM beads too. Just follow the directions and you will be fine. Make sure you season your humi properly and get a quality hygro, preferably a digital model as they seem to work better IMHO. Get one you can adjust, do a salt test on the hygro and you are good to go.
CamoFlogged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 07:14 PM   #2203
BaitFish
BOTL

Cohiba

Thanks for the response. Lots of good advice.

This new humi will be seasoned for at least a week or until I'm satisfied it's ready. I'm in no hurry as my other humis are doing quite well on their own at the moment. I plan on consolidating into the 100ct, adding 5 or so sticks at a time. I have a digital hygrometer that is adjustable and has been calibrated using the Bovida calibration pack. I agree, digital is the way to go. It is much more accurate than the analog hygro that came with my 50ct.

I've gone from using foam to gel but this will be the first I have used the beads. From everything I have read, the beads are the way to go. I look forward to trying them.

Thanks again for the advice.

Last edited by BaitFish; 08-18-2013 at 07:20 PM.
Old 08-18-2013, 07:26 PM   #2204
CamoFlogged
...may I have another?

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (11)
Montecristo
CamoFlogged will become famous soon enoughCamoFlogged will become famous soon enough

Both HF and HCM beads are great. Super easy with low maintenance. All my humi's and totes are rock solid on humidity.

Sounds like you are on a great path.
CamoFlogged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 07:47 PM   #2205
BaitFish
BOTL

Cohiba

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamoFlogged View Post
Sounds like you are on a great path.
Yeah, tell that to my credit cards, lol. Now if I could just stay away from the devil site....

Thanks again.
Old 09-17-2013, 11:31 AM   #2206
CoffeeWaterBeer
Critiquing Perique

First Name: Seth
Trading: (13)
Partagas
CoffeeWaterBeer will become famous soon enough

How do you all clean the interior glass of a humidor? I would think windex on a paper towel should be fine but I'm afraid of residual scent affecting my precious goodies. Should I do a simple water vinegar solution and leave the lid open for a bit to let it air dry completely?
CoffeeWaterBeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 11:38 AM   #2207
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeWaterBeer View Post
How do you all clean the interior glass of a humidor? I would think windex on a paper towel should be fine but I'm afraid of residual scent affecting my precious goodies. Should I do a simple water vinegar solution and leave the lid open for a bit to let it air dry completely?
That is what I do.

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 12:58 PM   #2208
CoffeeWaterBeer
Critiquing Perique

First Name: Seth
Trading: (13)
Partagas
CoffeeWaterBeer will become famous soon enough

Thanks Michael, I feel better hearing this and knowing I wont muck up my sticks.
CoffeeWaterBeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 06:03 PM   #2209
stevef2005
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Steve
Trading: (4)
AirForce (Served With Honor)
stevef2005 will become famous soon enough

A quick question. I have been trying to find out what best type of lighter is. Good ole butane torch lighter or my handy dandy zippo. I was told Zippo as the butane lighters will "torch" the foot of the cigar but been told the fuel for zippos can actually taint the flavor of the cigar. Any opinions or insights into this or is this like the celo argument, just a personnel preference.
stevef2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 06:05 PM   #2210
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevef2005 View Post
A quick question. I have been trying to find out what best type of lighter is. Good ole butane torch lighter or my handy dandy zippo. I was told Zippo as the butane lighters will "torch" the foot of the cigar but been told the fuel for zippos can actually taint the flavor of the cigar. Any opinions or insights into this or is this like the celo argument, just a personnel preference.
Just a personal preference.
Old 09-18-2013, 06:52 PM   #2211
Gabe215
Have My Own Room

First Name: Gabe
Gabe215 has a spectacular aura aboutGabe215 has a spectacular aura aboutGabe215 has a spectacular aura about

Ronson Jet Lite, $4, sleek metal look, $4, last forever, if you loose it buy another, $4, available EVERYWHERE CVS wallmart ect, works just as good as a SJ Dupont lighter!
Gabe215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 07:05 PM   #2212
yourchoice
Down the stretch

First Name: Joel
Trading: (36)
Cohiba
yourchoice has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevef2005 View Post
I often use a soft flame, but when I do, it's still butane. A cheap Bic lighter is a good example. I also have a Colibri soft flame I like a lot. Personally, I don't like a Zippo because of the odor/flavor it "adds".
yourchoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 05:51 PM   #2213
Blinky
Just in from the Storm

Blinky is on a distinguished road

ok guys, so I've been reading through this whole forum, I'm on page 80 but here's my question. I just got my new humidor in today (upgrading from a 50 ct to 100) Right now I have a shot glass of distilled in there with my humidification device. Has anyone tried the Humi-care Black ice? http://www.cigarsinternational.com/h...umidification/

I want to make sure it's going to put out and also absorb moisture.

I also got the hydro-set hygrometer, it's sitting in a broveda (SP?) calibration bag and the 60 cigars that came in today are sitting in their cello in a tupperware with a shot glass of distilled.
am I missing any steps? I don't have the space to freeze these but I may do it in my tenants freezer after I read the instruction thread a bit more carefully.
Blinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 06:00 PM   #2214
big_jaygee
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Jason
Trading: (59)
big_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinky View Post
ok guys, so I've been reading through this whole forum, I'm on page 80 but here's my question. I just got my new humidor in today (upgrading from a 50 ct to 100) Right now I have a shot glass of distilled in there with my humidification device. Has anyone tried the Humi-care Black ice? http://www.cigarsinternational.com/h...umidification/

I want to make sure it's going to put out and also absorb moisture.

I also got the hydro-set hygrometer, it's sitting in a broveda (SP?) calibration bag and the 60 cigars that came in today are sitting in their cello in a tupperware with a shot glass of distilled.
am I missing any steps? I don't have the space to freeze these but I may do it in my tenants freezer after I read the instruction thread a bit more carefully.
as for humidification i am using this

hcm beads

havent had a problem with humidity since i put these in my wineador and i will never use anything else

take the shot glass out of the tupperware of cigars, there is no way to regulate the humidity it is giving off leaving you with over moist/wet cigars. the cigars will be fine while you are seasoning your humidor, or you can hit the b&m up for a boveda pack while you are waiting.
big_jaygee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 07:32 PM   #2215
Remo
C.I.A

First Name: Mike
Trading: (122)
Partagas
Remo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_jaygee View Post
as for humidification i am using this

hcm beads

havent had a problem with humidity since i put these in my wineador and i will never use anything else

take the shot glass out of the tupperware of cigars, there is no way to regulate the humidity it is giving off leaving you with over moist/wet cigars. the cigars will be fine while you are seasoning your humidor, or you can hit the b&m up for a boveda pack while you are waiting.
Do you need humidification in Houston?
Old 10-10-2013, 07:38 PM   #2216
big_jaygee
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (59)
big_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remo View Post
I have to keep the humidity down at 65 where I like it and the beads keep it there
big_jaygee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 07:41 PM   #2217
Remo
C.I.A

First Name: Mike
Trading: (122)
Partagas
Remo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_jaygee View Post
I have to keep the humidity down at 65 where I like it and the beads keep it there
Old 10-11-2013, 05:27 AM   #2218
kydsid
Ditat Deus

Trading: (46)
kydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remo View Post
Houston, I dunno, down on the coast I don't. I can't remember the last time I looked at my beads.
kydsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 09:07 PM   #2219
Blinky
Just in from the Storm

Blinky is on a distinguished road

So Guys I just read all 111 pages and I want to say thank you for all the great info. I'm sure I'll be back to ask a question. Going to try to jump into a same trade this week.
Blinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 09:35 PM   #2220
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinky View Post
So Guys I just read all 111 pages and I want to say thank you for all the great info. I'm sure I'll be back to ask a question. Going to try to jump into a same trade this week.
A lot of good info indeed.
Here's another tidbit. The number of posts per page is a user setting. I set mine to 50 per page so for me this thread is 45 pages.