Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Good Eats

Old 12-02-2008, 02:28 PM   #1
Secret Santa
Ho Ho Ho

Trading: (0)
Secret Santa will become famous soon enoughSecret Santa will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Sushi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjing View Post
what's OBDG?
Obento Daikon Gobang -- a box lunch with radish eaten while playing Gobang (no, not that, like the game Othello )
Secret Santa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 02:43 PM   #2
ucla695
Neither here, nor there

Trading: (5)
Montecristo
ucla695 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrreindeer View Post
Club Sushi down in Hermosa Beach offers an amazing 1/2 price happy hour including most sushi, 1/2 off beer, wine & sake & apps. I love going there because the sushi is good, not amazing, but certainly good, a good value and all the sushi chefs are Hispanic and I've never seen that anywhere else. My buddy Efrem, the head chef, even won 'Best Sushi Chef' in the South Bay one year and I came on in and had him autograph our issue. He loved it.

Oh, so down at Club Sushi, they make a yellowtail roll with jalapeno, cilantro and some lemon juice and it's truly amazing.
Ah, good old Pier Ave in Hermosa…Club Sushi is one of my old haunts. I haven’t been there in years, but we used to go all the time for happy hour. I agree that the sushi wasn’t the best, but was good. Definitely can’t beat it for happy hour! After filling up there, we’d cruise to Sangria, Sharkeez (before it became a nub ) and/or Hennessey’s.

I'll have to check out that roll whenever I'm down on Pier.
ucla695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 04:09 PM   #3
LasciviousXXX
Team of 11...Always

First Name: Týr
Trading: (8)
VR
LasciviousXXX has disabled reputation

Mmmmmmmm...... Otoro.....

LasciviousXXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 04:13 PM   #4
opus
grouper groper

First Name: Skip
Partagas
opus is on a distinguished road

Cut it out, your killing me. Now it's dinner time and I only want one thing......SUSHI!!
Old 12-02-2008, 06:06 PM   #5
taltos
Really, really old

First Name: Paul
Trading: (3)
Punch MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
taltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjing View Post
what's OBDG?
I believe that it stands for 'Old Ball Dragging Geezer'. If I am wrong, corrections will be on their way shortly.
taltos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 06:09 PM   #6
TRicker

So for those of us who are new to sushi. How does Sea Urchin taste? I'm willing to try new stuff (had Octopus and liked it, eel not so much). I always see it and wanna try it, but am not really into anything too fishy. Should I? My current fave is yellowtail. Just don't want to look like a complete idiot if its a stronger tasting item.
Old 12-02-2008, 07:02 PM   #7
Ashcan Bill
Ol' Dude

First Name: Bill
Trading: (6)
Partagas
Ashcan Bill has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRicker View Post
So for those of us who are new to sushi. How does Sea Urchin taste? I'm willing to try new stuff (had Octopus and liked it, eel not so much). I always see it and wanna try it, but am not really into anything too fishy. Should I? My current fave is yellowtail. Just don't want to look like a complete idiot if its a stronger tasting item.
Urchin is, shall we say, an acquired taste.

I been munching on sushi for a fairly long time, and still don't care much for urchin. No, that's not true. I don't care at all for urchin. On the other hand I love mackerel, which many find too fishy. Just depends on your taste buds.
Ashcan Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 07:09 PM   #8
MTB996
Adjusting to the Life

Trading: (1)
Partagas
MTB996 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashcan Bill View Post
Urchin is, shall we say, an acquired taste.

I been munching on sushi for a fairly long time, and still don't care much for urchin. No, that's not true. I don't care at all for urchin. On the other hand I love mackerel, which many find too fishy. Just depends on your taste buds.
Love sushi, but just cannot do Uni. I have been to Japan many, many times and have been told that "supreme Uni" is great (it depends on the freshness and where you go), but a couple bad experiences has killed it for me.

Now, I have had all sorts of sashimi, including horse, chicken and just about all parts of beef (be creative). Interesting stuff can be very tasty sometimes.

Luckily, I have found several great sushi places in the Raleigh area (Waraji is fantastic).
MTB996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 06:12 PM   #9
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by taltos View Post
I believe that it stands for 'Old Ball Dragging Geezer'. If I am wrong, corrections will be on their way shortly.
No correction necessary.
Old 12-02-2008, 06:20 PM   #10
taltos
Really, really old

First Name: Paul
Trading: (3)
Punch MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
taltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the rough

The closest that I can go to sushi is a lightly seared tuna steak. The funny thing is that I will eat raw clams all day and be happy though.
taltos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 06:34 PM   #11
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by taltos View Post
The closest that I can go to sushi is a lightly seared tuna steak. The funny thing is that I will eat raw clams all day and be happy though.
I'm with you on the clams (must be a New England thing) but I can't stand Uni (sea urchin).

Gimme some clams with lemon and and a dash of Tabasco -
Old 12-02-2008, 04:24 PM   #12
jkim05
Feeling at Home

First Name: Jeremy
Trading: (17)
PL
jkim05 is on a distinguished road

oh man, that's it. I'm totally getting some sushi tomorrow. I've been eating since I could chew and it's definitely a huge world of flavours. I've been to some great restaurants and have had some awesome culinary experiences due to relationships with a few chefs and restaurateurs. Gotta love raw food.
jkim05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 07:25 PM   #13
fxpose
Park Drive Smokehouse

fxpose is on a distinguished road

I love uni while I know many who don't.

Not sushi related, but one food item I cannot stomach is natto. Just the smell of it gags me.
fxpose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 07:04 AM   #14
vicvitola

Cell rang as I was getting ready to leave work last night. It's my cousin and he says "Hey there is this new Sushi place I go to and they have happy hour specials. Do you..." YES I'LL GO !

He didn't even have a chance to finish asking me after reading this thread yesterday.
Old 12-03-2008, 10:51 AM   #15
LasciviousXXX
Team of 11...Always

First Name: Týr
Trading: (8)
VR
LasciviousXXX has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicvitola View Post
Cell rang as I was getting ready to leave work last night. It's my cousin and he says "Hey there is this new Sushi place I go to and they have happy hour specials. Do you..." YES I'LL GO !

He didn't even have a chance to finish asking me after reading this thread yesterday.
ROFL! Too funny. I come into work today and my boss says "Hey I've been meaning to sit down with you and talk about some changes I want you to make to our training program". "Great" I say, "How about we discuss it over lunch... sushi?" "Sure" he says

I'm such a bastard
LasciviousXXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 07:47 PM   #16
webjunkie
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Daniel
Trading: (1)
Punch
webjunkie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxpose View Post
Not sushi related, but one food item I cannot stomach is natto. Just the smell of it gags me.
Guh, I hate that stuff. My wife loves the stuff. It's disgusting
webjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 08:03 PM   #17
chippewastud79
Fatter than you!

First Name: Larry
Trading: (44)
Partagas
chippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to behold

Love me some sushi. Personally I ask the sushi artists to make whatever they like...My regular guy (Ball) makes 4 or 5 rolls of his best and I will eat they hell out of it. The advantage of it is mostly because they know what is the freshest fish they have for the day and sometimes they will try a new roll/combo they haven't made before and usually taste amazing. Not much I won't eat, pretty much all of it is dynamite
Old 12-03-2008, 08:07 PM   #18
barbourjay

man do i love sushi, rolled or traditional it doesn't matter. i don't mind cream cheese on certain rolls. a mexican roll with cream cheese is actually pretty damn good if done properly. thank god i have a place that does both and we eat there once a week. they also serve all types of sake.

charlie is the primary chef. he is awesome and if you sit at the bar you can watch true skill being performed. he can roll a roll like no other. just a fine layer of rice perfectly wrapped. he did a special roll just for me the other night, i called it the rock and roll, had snapper, salmon, crab, shrimp and cucumber all in one and it was excellent.

they do incredible tempura also and have a ton of stuff not on the menu. the place is a hole in the wall but it's won best of tampa bay for many years!

it's called kaiko's. it's in clearwater off mcmullen booth but is by far the best in the area and charlie is just bad ass. if anyone is ever in the area i'll join you for sushi there and we can head to the bar after for a smoke and a beer.
Old 12-03-2008, 08:35 PM   #19
floydpink
crazy diamond

First Name: Pete
Trading: (17)
Cohiba
floydpink has disabled reputation

If you ever go to Corona Cigar in Orlando, Amura is next door and consistently voted top sushi in Orlando. In the summer, I sometimes grab it to go and eat outside Corona.

Their Atomic Bomb roll is my favorite. (weird name for something Japanese...)
Old 12-03-2008, 11:26 AM   #20
cigars_n_scotch

I love sushi, I just started eating it about a year ago but since then I have enjoyed it so much I always want to go. Now you all have me very hungry!!!