Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Sports

Old 12-27-2008, 09:14 AM   #1
BengalMan
Have My Own Room

First Name: Ian
Trading: (10)
Cohiba
BengalMan will become famous soon enoughBengalMan will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Official MMA Thread

I like your picks Ken and I agree, the Forrest and Rashad fight is a hard fight to call. Forrest is tough as nails, but Rashad lately has just been a beat on the ground and his striking is crazy. I think I'm going to take Rashad tonight. Mir is in the best shape of his life and is really ready for this fight, but I just think Nog is too damn good. Wandy is my all time favorite fighter and I think i'll take apart Rampage, earning him a title shot against the winner of Forrest and Rashad, which will be interesting considering Forrest is his training partner.
BengalMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 03:48 PM   #2
Ken
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (0)
RyJ Army (Served With Honor)
Ken is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalMan View Post
I like your picks Ken .
Yeah, I'm really not sure how Forrest will win. I guess I think he'll stay alive for the decision. Evans has looked impresssive and i've liked the guy, and with his wrestling he has the tools to put this fight away.

Mir has been looking good, in an athletic non-sexual way, and while I've never been a fan I'm starting to like watching his fights.
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 04:11 PM   #3
goalie204
Have My Own Room

First Name: Myles
Trading: (12)
Bolivar
goalie204 will become famous soon enoughgoalie204 will become famous soon enough

I hope rampage vs wandy is similar to their other 2 fights, with rampage eating a lot of knees in the face.
goalie204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 07:27 PM   #4
Ken
Still Watching My Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by goalie204 View Post
I hope rampage vs wandy is similar to their other 2 fights, with rampage eating a lot of knees in the face.
I'm not sure if he could like through that many knees again. they were good fights, though, so lets hope.
Old 12-27-2008, 10:41 PM   #5
goalie204
Have My Own Room

Bolivar
goalie204 will become famous soon enoughgoalie204 will become famous soon enough

good ufc
Old 12-28-2008, 02:25 PM   #6
BengalMan
Have My Own Room

Cohiba
BengalMan will become famous soon enoughBengalMan will become famous soon enough

Rampage vs. Rashad will be their next fight. Anyone else notice that he KO'ed Wandy the exact same way as he did to Chuck, just with his left.

Wolfslair is about to become THE CAMP to train at. With how good Bisping has done, how much improved Rampage's striking has come along and the pure murder that Kongo did to Al Turk.

On another note, Rashad proved once again he deserves to be undefeated at 205. He has hands down improved the most out of all the TUF'ers. His stand up is NICE.

Mir looked unreal. He completely dominated Nog, something I never thought would happen. I had a feeling Mir was going to come into this and do well, but never did I think he would completely own Big Nog.

This was hands down the best card of the year!
Old 12-28-2008, 02:33 PM   #7
goalie204
Have My Own Room

Bolivar

Mir's standup WAS phenomenal but one thing i've been thinking about since last night...Nog didn't seem to do much. He had very little offense, he just moved around and got hit. PLEASE UNDERSTAND, i don't want to take anything away from Frank, like i said, his stand up looked impressive, but perhaps big Nog could have neutralized it a little bit with some offense of his own. We might never know tho.
Old 12-29-2008, 05:37 PM   #8
BengalMan
Have My Own Room

Cohiba

Going to be interesting to see if Bigfoot Silva will be able to fight in the states once again after ignoring the commission's suspension. Granted they don't technically apply over in Japan, the NSAC is notorious for taking it as a big F-U if you go to Japan and fight to avoid their suspensions.
Old 12-30-2008, 12:45 AM   #9
kayaker

I've read a couple of articles that mention Forrest's sloppy guard before Rashad finished him off. I think in his interview (and from rewatching that part of the fight I agree) Forrest says he was pretty out of it most of the time he was on the ground.

Rashad landed some pretty heavy shots, but I think Forrest was pretty well toast, just barely able to pull guard and survive a little longer. Then Rashad finished him off with the big right and followup punishment.

Forrest was winning in the stand up, but his kicks were getting sloppy and Rashad was able to capitalize. I hope someone strips the belt from him soon. He's a few good fights lately, but I'm still not a big fan.
Old 12-30-2008, 06:06 AM   #10
Ken
Still Watching My Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
He's a few good fights lately, but I'm still not a big fan.
I've liked the guy though sometimes it's like having to eat cooked spinach for me. I like watching him fight and then he does those ignorant showboat antics acting like a buffoon and it's hard to choke down.
Old 12-30-2008, 07:07 AM   #11
kgoings
Cigarologist

First Name: Kirk
Trading: (42)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
kgoings is a jewel in the roughkgoings is a jewel in the roughkgoings is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken View Post
I've liked the guy though sometimes it's like having to eat cooked spinach for me. I like watching him fight and then he does those ignorant showboat antics acting like a buffoon and it's hard to choke down.
He has toned it down quite a bit lately, but I definitely know what you mean. He is certainly unique...he showboats for the fans, but then is extremely classy to the other fighters and in interviews.
Old 12-31-2008, 08:18 AM   #12
BengalMan
Have My Own Room

Cohiba

Holy ****, someone please tell me they saw Melvin Manhoef, a MW and last minute replacement KO Mark Hunt, a Super Heavy Weight!?!?!?!?

When I first heard that Manhoef was replacing Jerome LeBanner I was confused. Sure Manhoef is a highly touted MW with serious KO power, but for god sakes, Hunt has fought and beat CroCop in his prime and gotten kicked right in the face by him in the process.

What a sick KO, off his back foot at that. Very much like Rampage's KO on Wandy. Hunt went in sloppy, Melvin ducked and moved and threw the HUGE left hook, only Melvin's was followed by another right, but the left is the one that did it.
Old 12-31-2008, 10:07 AM   #13
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalMan View Post
Holy ****, someone please tell me they saw Melvin Manhoef, a MW and last minute replacement KO Mark Hunt, a Super Heavy Weight!?!?!?!?

When I first heard that Manhoef was replacing Jerome LeBanner I was confused. Sure Manhoef is a highly touted MW with serious KO power, but for god sakes, Hunt has fought and beat CroCop in his prime and gotten kicked right in the face by him in the process.

What a sick KO, off his back foot at that. Very much like Rampage's KO on Wandy. Hunt went in sloppy, Melvin ducked and moved and threw the HUGE left hook, only Melvin's was followed by another right, but the left is the one that did it.
I just finished watching the K-1 event. That was a sic KO. 18 seconds! Never seen Hunt go down like that before.

This was the card of the year! Alot of folks think UFC is the chit but compared to the fights in Japan, there is no comparison. Really great fights with lots of KO's and subs. Crocop destroyed Choi's knee. That's the only thing he could do with that dude. He's huge!
Old 12-31-2008, 02:23 PM   #14
goalie204
Have My Own Room

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan View Post
I just finished watching the K-1 event. That was a sic KO. 18 seconds! Never seen Hunt go down like that before.

This was the card of the year! Alot of folks think UFC is the chit but compared to the fights in Japan, there is no comparison. Really great fights with lots of KO's and subs. Crocop destroyed Choi's knee. That's the only thing he could do with that dude. He's huge!
I like all MMA. I leave the business of it and comparisons of one organization to another to the media and the business people who cause some to fold, and buy each other out. I'm just glad i get to watch it all.
Old 12-31-2008, 03:21 PM   #15
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by goalie204 View Post
I like all MMA. I leave the business of it and comparisons of one organization to another to the media and the business people who cause some to fold, and buy each other out. I'm just glad i get to watch it all.
I'm talking about the fights in general, not the business end of it. The good fighters that fight in Japan seem to be so much more skilled in all areas. Dream, Sengoku and K-1 cards are always great from top to bottom whereas the UFC will have 2, maybe, 3 great cards in a year. Plus, you don't have to be one of Dana's "boys" to make it big.
Old 01-01-2009, 03:38 PM   #16
Ken
Still Watching My Back

Some pretty good fights. Overeem made Badr Hari look silly. Straight schooled that guy. CroCops fight was boring, but what can you do against such a giant. And Hunt KO'd in seconds. WOW!
Old 12-31-2008, 02:03 PM   #17
BengalMan
Have My Own Room

Cohiba

Yeah Choi's knee just straight buckled from all those kicks. I still disagree with the whole WAMMA title thing. I'm confident BJ Penn would straight DESTROY Aoki.

Until the UFC joins WAMMA, their titles mean nothing......
Old 01-05-2009, 07:44 PM   #18
BengalMan
Have My Own Room

Cohiba

Nice! The Crow has always been a top favorite of mine because of how exciting of a fighter he is. I remember watching him back in the day in the UFC. Dude's elbows are razor sharp. If his mind is right, he may be a force in the division.
Old 01-11-2009, 08:07 PM   #19
Steelergar

I'm confident BJ Penn would straight DESTROY Aoki.

I don't know about that Aoki has some sick submissions and is very innovative. I saw him break a guys arm doing a flying arm bar within a couple seconds at the Rickson Gracie Budo Challenge. The UFC does not have the caliber of lightweights like they do in DREAM (or middleweights). Then again if they fought under UFC rules Penn would probably win because they stand fighters up just about everytime they go to the ground.

]
Old 01-14-2009, 07:03 PM   #20
BengalMan
Have My Own Room

Cohiba

Looks like they're working on Rashad vs. Rampage for the Columbus card. I sure hope so, because right now the floor seats I have for the show are getting me nothing.