Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Sports

Old 11-06-2011, 07:05 AM   #1
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Official SEC Football Thread 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjirons69 View Post
That wildcat pass from Maze was a catch! Williams had it in his hands and landed on his back. BS call of the year, IMO. That was the difference in the game (it's tough to rely on 40+ yard field goals with any kicker). It was a horrible job coaching by Bama in the OT possession.

At least Carolina lost!

Just saying.

Hard to know where to start or what is wrongest.

A catch has one definitive characteristic. You hit the ground and maintain possession of the football.
Basically you stand up to demonstrate possession and are then free to drop the ball. A.) who had the
ball when the players got up?, and B.) What do you think instant replay and coaches challenges are for?
It's not like a run, where you hit the ground and you are down. In THAT case, it would have been
Bama ball on the one yard line. It's not like the refs didn't look at the play over and over.

It was not the difference in the game. The difference in the game might well be three missed field goals
by Bama. That is three good drives wasted in non-scoring endings. You can't do that in what has to
be the tightest game in the SEC we'll ever see.

On the surface, the overtime MIGHT have been poor coaching, but it is more about poor execution. DUMB
penalties. However, you are driving from 25 yeards out. It doesn't have to be rocket science. Why make
your players execute complicated or slow developing plays? Just run the ball til you have to pass and kick
a field goal if you can't score a TD. But you are right in one way. After Saban decided to complicate
the most basic part of the game to that point, his attempt to outcoach Les Miles led to Les Miles only
having to do it RIGHT in order to walk out with the win. But the players incurred the penalties,
not Nick Saban.

And kickers are on the team for one reason, to kick a field goal from any reasonable point on the field.
It would seem to the uneducated of us that Nick focused too hard on finding the most rugged horses he could
get to the detriment of the kicking game. Sure he has two tough lines, amazing backs and a couple of
great receivers, but his kicking game is apalling. LSU is a complete football team, as I have argued here
many times. Opportunistic on SPECIAL TEAMS and highly capable in the kicking game. There has been
lot of justifiable homerism in this thread prior to this game. I am a little surprised that none of them have
come back in to admit they were all wrong. If LSU had lost in OT last night, I would have posted my
congratulations within minutes, because it is important when I was so adamant about us winning.

OT wins are no way to win a game, but LSU got to the NCG in 03 with TWO OT LOSSES. There is no s
hame in Bama losing this game in OT. They made a few more mistakes
than LSU and paid the price.
But let's be honest. They LOST the game not by the bad luck in the end, but because they are inferior
to the LSU Tigers in terms of DEPTH, and BALANCE. Our two interceptions and Mathieu's stupid flagrant
foul could have opened the door to Bama beating LSU but they did not get it done. The Tigers beat the
Tide with the kicking game. Before the game I warned you that Brad Wing would keep you in your own
end ALL NIGHT. There are three phases of football, and special teams is one of them. Ignore it at your peril.

-----------------
Les Miles said it best, and classy I might add. EVEN IF you guys do not get to the SECCG, you might YET
play LSU in the final game of the year. If you do , we would be HONORED to play you guys again. Just
don't expect a different result. With 101,000 tickets for sale, Bama made available an embarassingly
pitiful number of visitor tickets. That is shameful, but it happened. In the Superdome, there will be
much better balance amongst patron fans.

Last edited by OLS; 11-06-2011 at 07:16 AM.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 09:10 AM   #2
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLS View Post
Hard to know where to start or what is wrongest.

A catch has one definitive characteristic. You hit the ground and maintain possession of the football.
Basically you stand up to demonstrate possession and are then free to drop the ball. A.) who had the
ball when the players got up?, and B.) What do you think instant replay and coaches challenges are for?
It's not like a run, where you hit the ground and you are down. In THAT case, it would have been
Bama ball on the one yard line. It's not like the refs didn't look at the play over and over.

It was not the difference in the game. The difference in the game might well be three missed field goals
by Bama. That is three good drives wasted in non-scoring endings. You can't do that in what has to
be the tightest game in the SEC we'll ever see.

On the surface, the overtime MIGHT have been poor coaching, but it is more about poor execution. DUMB
penalties. However, you are driving from 25 yeards out. It doesn't have to be rocket science. Why make
your players execute complicated or slow developing plays? Just run the ball til you have to pass and kick
a field goal if you can't score a TD. But you are right in one way. After Saban decided to complicate
the most basic part of the game to that point, his attempt to outcoach Les Miles led to Les Miles only
having to do it RIGHT in order to walk out with the win. But the players incurred the penalties,
not Nick Saban.

And kickers are on the team for one reason, to kick a field goal from any reasonable point on the field.
It would seem to the uneducated of us that Nick focused too hard on finding the most rugged horses he could
get to the detriment of the kicking game. Sure he has two tough lines, amazing backs and a couple of
great receivers, but his kicking game is apalling. LSU is a complete football team, as I have argued here
many times. Opportunistic on SPECIAL TEAMS and highly capable in the kicking game. There has been
lot of justifiable homerism in this thread prior to this game. I am a little surprised that none of them have
come back in to admit they were all wrong. If LSU had lost in OT last night, I would have posted my
congratulations within minutes, because it is important when I was so adamant about us winning.

OT wins are no way to win a game, but LSU got to the NCG in 03 with TWO OT LOSSES. There is no s
hame in Bama losing this game in OT. They made a few more mistakes
than LSU and paid the price.
But let's be honest. They LOST the game not by the bad luck in the end, but because they are inferior
to the LSU Tigers in terms of DEPTH, and BALANCE. Our two interceptions and Mathieu's stupid flagrant
foul could have opened the door to Bama beating LSU but they did not get it done. The Tigers beat the
Tide with the kicking game. Before the game I warned you that Brad Wing would keep you in your own
end ALL NIGHT. There are three phases of football, and special teams is one of them. Ignore it at your peril.

-----------------
Les Miles said it best, and classy I might add. EVEN IF you guys do not get to the SECCG, you might YET
play LSU in the final game of the year. If you do , we would be HONORED to play you guys again. Just
don't expect a different result. With 101,000 tickets for sale, Bama made available an embarassingly
pitiful number of visitor tickets. That is shameful, but it happened. In the Superdome, there will be
much better balance amongst patron fans.
Brad: Even Lou Holtz Said On Sports Center This Morning That The Call Was Wrong; Alabama Had Possession Of The Catch & Was Down. Anyway, LSU Did Win The Game & Congrats To You & All LSU Fans.
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 09:18 AM   #3
OLS
Suck It

OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by longknocker View Post
Brad: Even Lou Holtz Said On Sports Center This Morning That The Call Was Wrong; Alabama Had Possession Of The Catch & Was Down. Anyway, LSU Did Win The Game & Congrats To You & All LSU Fans.
Haha, Lou Holtz is the arbitrator?? That kook? You and Lou are confusing running plays with pass
receptions. You have to get up in possession of the ball, the ground cannot cause a fumble. That's the rule.
If it was as you say the replay official would have overturned the call. The very fact that the LSU
player was actively in the process of gaining possession of the ball as they hit the turf together means
that the the ball was NOT under the control of the receiver. IN BOUNDS and IN CONTROL.

Look at Tyrann Mathieu in that clip, the receiver is inches from hitting the ground and he is already
throwing his arms up in celebration of the interception. In a no replay world, I would think you had a
right to call it a ripoff. But it was clear enough, that claim has no merit by the rules of the game.
Old 11-07-2011, 08:35 AM   #4
rizzle
Order Restored

Trading: (23)
Bolivar
rizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
ramble, ramble,ramble...But let's be honest. They LOST the game not by the bad luck in the end, but because they are inferior
to the LSU Tigers in terms of DEPTH, and BALANCE
....ramble, ramble, ramble
Congratulations on winning the game. But two things here: 1) You have no idea what you're talking about. Inferior in depth and balance? Really, Brad. That's just an ill-informed and asinine statement. 2) Alabama is no doubt the better of those two teams and should have won that game by at least 14 points. But hey, that's how the cookie crumbles sometimes.

Now you may continue your incessant, incoherent, ill-informed rambling.
rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 10:27 AM   #5
OLS
Suck It

Quote:
Originally Posted by rizzle View Post
Congratulations on winning the game. But two things here: 1) You have no idea what you're talking about. Inferior in depth and balance? Really, Brad. That's just an ill-informed and asinine statement. 2) Alabama is no doubt the better of those two teams and should have won that game by at least 14 points. But hey, that's how the cookie crumbles sometimes.

Now you may continue your incessant, incoherent, ill-informed rambling.
This is what I expected, down to the last letter. How did I know the phrase "Should have won" was
going to come into play? It's easy. Your team lost. Missing 4 field goals is not "Should have won", it's we
think we thought of everything, but we forgot to get a kicker. You know how many high school kickers
would kill to come and kick for Alabama? I bet a ton. But Nick Saban in his divine wisdom didn't save any
scholarships for THAT I guess. I reiterate, who needs a kicking game when you have Trent Richardson?

Should have won is a bull5hi+ response. Your team got beat, in your own stadium in front of your own
crowd. Nick Saban was out-coached. Your team was out-played, and by a kicker besides. You can't say,
"We shoulda won", because you didn't have the PLAYERS to WIN, that's why I told you for three weeks that
you were not GOING to win. You can't say 'we have the best team except for a kicker'. Our kicker MAKES
us the better team. How do I know? Because the score was 9-6, all field goals. Duh. Our punter did
exactly what I thought he would, handicap you deep in your own end. THAT'S BALANCE, man.

Inferior depth and balance wasn't a good enough description for you??
We rotated defensive linemen all night long and got a sack in OVERTIME because of it. We have more
tailbacks ready to play than Alabama, we have more quarterbacks ready to play than Alabama. That's depth.
I love Barrett Jones, he is from Memphis and a great kid, I've met him. But if you had better balance,
he wouldn't have had to play hurt. He gutted it out, and I am not sure he hurt the team, but again,
we just have more players ready to play than UA.

We have better balance than Alabama. You doubt that? You ever hear of something called the kicking
game? You should have, since it's how we BEAT YOU GUYS. If you had better balance, you would have
won the freaking GAME. Oh, we have Trent Richardson, yay. You think teams are going to just roll
over and concede because of Richardson and Lacey? You have a great offensive line and linebackers.
Should we just wave the cape and let you charge on through? No, we found your weakness and used it to beat
you in front of the largest TV audience ever to watch a regular season game. OF COURSE LSU has
better balance than Alabama. That's how we WON THE GAME.

By the way, we're still friends, right??
Old 11-07-2011, 11:29 AM   #6
rizzle
Order Restored

Bolivar
rizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
This is what I expected, down to the last letter. How did I know the phrase "Should have won" was
going to come into play? It's easy. Your team lost. Missing 4 field goals is not "Should have won", it's we
think we thought of everything, but we forgot to get a kicker. You know how many high school kickers
would kill to come and kick for Alabama? I bet a ton. But Nick Saban in his divine wisdom didn't save any
scholarships for THAT I guess. I reiterate, who needs a kicking game when you have Trent Richardson?

Should have won is a bull5hi+ response. Your team got beat, in your own stadium in front of your own
crowd. Nick Saban was out-coached. Your team was out-played, and by a kicker besides. You can't say,
"We shoulda won", because you didn't have the PLAYERS to WIN, that's why I told you for three weeks that
you were not GOING to win. You can't say 'we have the best team except for a kicker'. Our kicker MAKES
us the better team. How do I know? Because the score was 9-6, all field goals. Duh. Our punter did
exactly what I thought he would, handicap you deep in your own end. THAT'S BALANCE, man.

Inferior depth and balance wasn't a good enough description for you??
We rotated defensive linemen all night long and got a sack in OVERTIME because of it. We have more
tailbacks ready to play than Alabama, we have more quarterbacks ready to play than Alabama. That's depth.
I love Barrett Jones, he is from Memphis and a great kid, I've met him. But if you had better balance,
he wouldn't have had to play hurt. He gutted it out, and I am not sure he hurt the team, but again,
we just have more players ready to play than UA.

We have better balance than Alabama. You doubt that? You ever hear of something called the kicking
game? You should have, since it's how we BEAT YOU GUYS. If you had better balance, you would have
won the freaking GAME. Oh, we have Trent Richardson, yay. You think teams are going to just roll
over and concede because of Richardson and Lacey? You have a great offensive line and linebackers.
Should we just wave the cape and let you charge on through? No, we found your weakness and used it to beat
you in front of the largest TV audience ever to watch a regular season game. OF COURSE LSU has
better balance than Alabama. That's how we WON THE GAME.

By the way, we're still friends, right??
We're still friends, and you still don't have a clue what you're talking about. But I'll let you gloat, and I'll even go ahead and agree with you. You're absolutely correct. Whatever it was you said, you're absolutely correct.

This is why I don't like LSU fans.
Old 11-07-2011, 11:35 AM   #7
OLS
Suck It

Quote:
Originally Posted by rizzle View Post
We're still friends, and you still don't have a clue what you're talking about. But I'll let you gloat, and I'll even go ahead and agree with you. You're absolutely correct. Whatever it was you said, you're absolutely correct.

This is why I don't like LSU fans.
I would like it better, Rizzle if you refuted my solid points and debated it rather than just
hitting me with your homerstick. Can you explain gross deficiencies in the kicking game? Can you deny
there is no logical way to get a sack in Overtime unless my team is well-rested or yours is exhausted?
Can you come up with a reasonable excuse for 101,000 [minus the paltry 3000 tickets you made available
to LSU] couldn't WILL a "superior team" to victory at home? I don't want to just pound away with blablabla
just because it's what I DO, lol. I want you to accept reality or tell me where I am wrong. Of course you
don't HAVE to, your previous response is good enough to prove my point, but I am just not sure how you
arrived at your generic, wild claims.
Old 11-07-2011, 12:19 PM   #8
rizzle
Order Restored

Bolivar

Quote:
I would like it better, Rizzle if you refuted my solid points and debated it rather than just
hitting me with your homerstick. Can you explain gross deficiencies in the kicking game? Can you deny
there is no logical way to get a sack in Overtime unless my team is well-rested or yours is exhausted?
Can you come up with a reasonable excuse for 101,000 [minus the paltry 3000 tickets you made available
to LSU] couldn't WILL a "superior team" to victory at home? I don't want to just pound away with blablabla
just because it's what I DO, lol. I want you to accept reality or tell me where I am wrong. Of course you
don't HAVE to, your previous response is good enough to prove my point, but I am just not sure how you
arrived at your generic, wild claims.
From your previous gibberish and what I take exception to:
Quote:
to the LSU Tigers in terms of DEPTH, and BALANCE
No, luck had nothing to do with it. We lost the game. Period. No denying it. But for you to make the statement that we lost because of inferior depth and balance to LSU is wrong. Plain and simple wrong. So you can believe that if you want, I'll believe the truth.

Neither one of those teams has a depth advantage over the other. They are about as even as they can possibly be from top to bottom and, no, I'm not forgetting about the 2's either. What, you don't think we rotate players all night long? Whatever dude.

And as far as balance, coming into that game Bama had 1834 rushing yards and 1827 passing. LSU had 1512 rushing and 1465 passing. In the game, Bama rushed 31 times for and threw it 29. LSU rushed it 41 times and threw it 17.

The numbers now stand with Alabama having 1930 rushing yards, 2026 passing. LSU has 1660 rushing yards, 1556 passing.

If those numbers are inferior and cost us the game, so be it. I guess my definiton of inferior differs from yours.

Primarily...primarily...the kicking game cost us. There are some other factors as well, but obviously one field goal would have made the difference. Please show me anywhere that I mentioned bad luck as the reason we lost. And if you don't know how ticketing works for home and away games, I can't help you there, bro.

Inferior talent and balance. Please.