Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Sports

Old 01-03-2012, 10:08 AM   #521
rizzle
Order Restored

Trading: (23)
Bolivar
rizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Official SEC Football Thread 2011

Double heh.
rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 03:26 PM   #522
jsnake
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jake
Trading: (22)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
jsnake will become famous soon enoughjsnake will become famous soon enough

Missouri looked good in the Independence Bowl. The schedule has some really great games and I am hoping to make a few of them in Columbia next season. I am a little more optimistic about how Missouri will do next year.
jsnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 10:21 AM   #523
rizzle
Order Restored

Bolivar
rizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsnake View Post
Missouri looked good in the Independence Bowl. The schedule has some really great games and I am hoping to make a few of them in Columbia next season. I am a little more optimistic about how Missouri will do next year.
Well, you're definitely coming into the East at a good time. I'd expect UGA to be the early favorite, followed by S Cacalacky. Florida is down, Tennessee is in shambles, Kentucky is waiting for basketball season to start, and Vandy, of all places, just might be on the upswing. But I'd expect Missouri to actually compete pretty well next year. It's when the East gets strong again that you gotta worry. Plus, you get Bama out of the West next year, too. I'm thinking Mizzou goes 4-4 or so in conference. Should be a neat inaugural year for you.
Old 01-04-2012, 05:27 PM   #524
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

Man I felt SO bad for Vanderbilt here Memphis for the Liberty Bowl....I thought they HAD that one,
but it just wasn't to be.
The people that thought I did not know about TAM and MIZZOU missed the ROFL a few lines down.

OK, second to last chance bama boys.....come over to the Purple side and you will not be harmed.
Continue to pull for the Elephant and be doomed to a year of having been wrong TWICE!
I DO realize that fandom trumps rationality, and the fact that our superior special teams, superior
kicking game, 'superior in numbers' running game and superior quarterback play is not nearly enough
to get through your skulls, lol, but it will not be thought of as weakness here if you admit you guys
have no shot, lol. I promise NOT TO TELL.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 05:29 PM   #525
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLS View Post
Man I felt SO bad for Vanderbilt here Memphis for the Liberty Bowl....I thought they HAD that one,
but it just wasn't to be.
The people that thought I did not know about TAM and MIZZOU missed the ROFL a few lines down.

OK, second to last chance bama boys.....come over to the Purple side and you will not be harmed.
Continue to pull for the Elephant and be doomed to a year of having been wrong TWICE!
No Chance, Brother! Roll, Tide!
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 06:37 PM   #526
OLS
Suck It

OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

You know what really makes me chuckle??
Anywhere you find people commenting on the general BCS, you get these people angrily saying that they aren't
going to watch, that Ok St got hosed, or Stanford should have been put here or there, that the BCS is broken,
you couldn't PAY me to watch that pile of crap game.

Bull$hiT. I wouldn't doubt if it sets alltime BCS viewership records. People may say it's a bad result, but it's also
going to be like a slow motion car crash, people WILL HAVE TO watch. It's gonna be epic.
Old 01-05-2012, 05:36 AM   #527
Stephen
Sultan of Cigars

First Name: Stephen
Location: Where the Pony Express began and Jesse James ended.
Trading: (18)
Stephen has a spectacular aura aboutStephen has a spectacular aura aboutStephen has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Bull$hiT. I wouldn't doubt if it sets alltime BCS viewership records. People may say it's a bad result, but it's also
going to be like a slow motion car crash, people WILL HAVE TO watch. It's gonna be epic.
I'll gladly make any sort of wager you deem sufficient.
Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 01:45 PM   #528
OLS
Suck It

Nah, that's not trolling for a bet, just that I think a LOT of people who "wouldn't watch it if you PAID me" are going
to be tuning in no matter what they say online. Look at what WVU did to Clemson last night (70 points). Certainly
didn't say much for the rise of 2011 Clemson lovers around the forum. Felt bad for em. But to see that happen to
Clemson and to reflect on the A$$-whippin we put on WVU and the one we put on Oregon, you HAVE to be interested
to see EVERY game LSU plays, just for the glory of football the way it's supposed to be played. Had Clemson
overrun WVU, I think I would have thought, 'hmm, I thought they were better than that.' Then look at how
close the LSU BAMA game was earlier in the year, and think, 'maybe these ARE the two best teams in football'.
Why not watch something featuring two superb teams? --edit-- I mean, football is going away for a VERY long time.
Why not go out with a gigantic bang? I call it must-see TV 2. I am not talking as much about the OK St. fans, they
are never going to forget this year. And I still think it's totally unfair for them. But they are also not better than UA.

Last edited by OLS; 01-05-2012 at 01:52 PM.
Old 01-05-2012, 02:36 PM   #529
Stephen
Sultan of Cigars

Stephen has a spectacular aura aboutStephen has a spectacular aura aboutStephen has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Nah, that's not trolling for a bet, just that I think a LOT of people who "wouldn't watch it if you PAID me" are going
to be tuning in no matter what they say online. Look at what WVU did to Clemson last night (70 points). Certainly
didn't say much for the rise of 2011 Clemson lovers around the forum. Felt bad for em. But to see that happen to
Clemson and to reflect on the A$$-whippin we put on WVU and the one we put on Oregon, you HAVE to be interested
to see EVERY game LSU plays, just for the glory of football the way it's supposed to be played. Had Clemson
overrun WVU, I think I would have thought, 'hmm, I thought they were better than that.' Then look at how
close the LSU BAMA game was earlier in the year, and think, 'maybe these ARE the two best teams in football'.
Why not watch something featuring two superb teams? --edit-- I mean, football is going away for a VERY long time.
Why not go out with a gigantic bang? I call it must-see TV 2. I am not talking as much about the OK St. fans, they
are never going to forget this year. And I still think it's totally unfair for them. But they are also not better than UA.
Frankly, because causual fans have zero interest in watching another low scoring affair between two regional teams. Not to mention it's on ESPN, which further cuts into your audience. Sorry man, but I'd be surprised if as many people watched this year as they did last.
Old 01-05-2012, 05:10 PM   #530
OLS
Suck It

I doubt very seriously that people have no interest in watching another low-scoring affair. I do not doubt that YOU
do not want to, you are showing those cards, but people like seeing the best play the best, no matter the result.
As for ESPN, that is certain, in fact I am thinking about how much trouble I will be in if it is not on ABC that night.
Last year, our local ABC showed the game, which if I can believe what I read, states that it was the first ESPN only
NCG in history. I know ABC and ESPN are affiliated, but we will have to see. I can also watch on the net or walk
down to the tavern. But you are correct perhaps in that the numbers won't be biggest ever, but I refuse to believe
that 80% of this "I ain't watching" BS is true. It's FOOTBALL, and great power football at that. People like to seem
principled on the net where no one knows what's true and what isn't. Plus they like to run their mouths. Believe about
10% of that BS.
Old 01-05-2012, 07:12 PM   #531
Stephen
Sultan of Cigars

Quote:
I doubt very seriously that people have no interest in watching another low-scoring affair. I do not doubt that YOU
do not want to, you are showing those cards, but people like seeing the best play the best, no matter the result.
1. No offense, but you have no idea what I do or don't want to do.
2. I am intelligent enough, however, to see outside my sphere and realize what your casual, hardly-ever-watch football, "fan" likes, and it ain't a low-scoring sloppy football game (which is exactly what the first game was) that's can best be described as, "been there, done that." In case you haven't realized, there is ZERO buildup to this game. Nobody's talking about it, nobody outside the South really cares all that much. That doesn't lend itself to record-setting viewership.
Quote:
As for ESPN, that is certain, in fact I am thinking about how much trouble I will be in if it is not on ABC that night.
Last year, our local ABC showed the game, which if I can believe what I read, states that it was the first ESPN only
NCG in history. I know ABC and ESPN are affiliated, but we will have to see. I can also watch on the net or walk
down to the tavern. But you are correct perhaps in that the numbers won't be biggest ever, but I refuse to believe
that 80% of this "I ain't watching" BS is true. It's FOOTBALL, and great power football at that. People like to seem
principled on the net where no one knows what's true and what isn't. Plus they like to run their mouths. Believe about
10% of that BS.
You're right, a lot of what you're reporting being said is hyperbole. I'm simply stating that it's probably going to be one of the lesser viewed National Championship games in some time for a myriad of reasons.
Old 01-06-2012, 07:44 AM   #532
OLS
Suck It

Haha, why do people always lead off with no offense before they intend to offend.
None taken.
Old 01-06-2012, 08:07 AM   #533
OLS
Suck It

Quote:
Originally Posted by powers View Post
oklahoma state displayed superior depth and balance :d
catchphrase!
Old 01-06-2012, 08:49 AM   #534
Stephen
Sultan of Cigars

Quote:
Haha, why do people always lead off with no offense before they intend to offend.
None taken.
Because my intent wasn't to offend, but simply reinforce that it's folly to try and ascribe me as one of those of which you speak.

Brad, I don't begrudge you for your elation. I'm simply trying to explain to you as to why your jubilation, save a small region of these United States, might not be shared.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:53 AM   #535
rizzle
Order Restored

Bolivar

Oh, it'll be highly watched. And if it isn't, who cares? And who cares about buildup anyway? I don't need anyone who knows less than I to tell me their opinion. I've never heard so much whining in my life.
Old 01-06-2012, 11:34 AM   #536
Stephen
Sultan of Cigars

Quote:
Originally Posted by rizzle View Post
Oh, it'll be highly watched. And if it isn't, who cares?
I certainly don't. But the blind homerism in this thread reached critical mass about three pages ago...
Quote:
And who cares about buildup anyway? I don't need anyone who knows less than I to tell me their opinion.
Because it was (is) germane to the current discussion in the thread.
Quote:
I've never heard so much whining in my life.
Irony at its finest.
Old 01-06-2012, 12:35 PM   #537
rizzle
Order Restored

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
I certainly don't. But the blind homerism in this thread reached critical mass about three pages ago...

Because it was (is) germane to the current discussion in the thread.

Irony at its finest.
It's delicious, isn't it.
Old 01-06-2012, 02:14 PM   #538
OLS
Suck It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
But the blind homerism in this thread reached critical mass about three pages ago....
Then come back when your team has a year of SEC play under it's belt.
Or do you not pull for Mizzou?

Hell, I'd hardly call my Homerism BLIND. I used to have a pair of Snoopy
pajamas that said "It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am."
The I in the sentence is LSU in 2011, btw. No homerism in that, can you
name a better team? Can you name a team LSU WOULDN'T mop the floor with?
Old 01-06-2012, 02:37 PM   #539
McSmokey
Feeling at Home

First Name: Justin
Trading: (30)
LGC
McSmokey will become famous soon enough

ROLL TIDE all the way Brad... That said I have seen Bama play and I've seen LSU play... I wouldn't place a bet on who's gonna win to save my own life.
Old 01-07-2012, 11:02 AM   #540
Stephen
Sultan of Cigars

Quote:
It's delicious, isn't it.
Tastes like chicken. Southern fried, of course.