Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 02-04-2021, 02:55 PM   #1
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation
Default Re: Lancero love

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevSmoke View Post
Saying, "Very nice" is not a mooch for cigars.
Sending cigars to a friend implies no mooching involved.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 11:12 AM   #2
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
Are they LGR box code, Greg?

I have to crack another box soon, I will be sure to send you a couple Todd.
Not Sure? "Habanos D.O.P."
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 06:37 AM   #3
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

So, I am always looking for a deal on great smokes. So, there comes an advert from Cigar Page about their Class 34 cigars with the usual cover story of "these cigars come straight from the same factory as their famous counterparts but without the middle man and the fancy bands or packaging" story. I really enjoy lanceros, so I put the maduro #9, mad #47, sun grown #14, and Connie #1 in the cart. Then I ought, "what am I gonna do with 76 cigars I don't like." (Figuring I tried one of each and they were not good) So I got in touch with another pastor up here who enjoys cigars but is always looking for a deal. He said he'd buy half of them at that price $2.00 a stick.

Well, I have each of the maduros and while I did not plan to review them and so did not take notes...they were both very good. 9 had hints of coffee and cocoa, burning to a short nub. The 47 was a bit bolder with some spice, also burning to a short nub. No burn issues for either.

At this point I am glad of the order.
Old 03-03-2021, 06:49 AM   #4
longknocker
Postwhore

Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Quote:
So, I am always looking for a deal on great smokes. So, there comes an advert from Cigar Page about their Class 34 cigars with the usual cover story of "these cigars come straight from the same factory as their famous counterparts but without the middle man and the fancy bands or packaging" story. I really enjoy lanceros, so I put the maduro #9, mad #47, sun grown #14, and Connie #1 in the cart. Then I ought, "what am I gonna do with 76 cigars I don't like." (Figuring I tried one of each and they were not good) So I got in touch with another pastor up here who enjoys cigars but is always looking for a deal. He said he'd buy half of them at that price $2.00 a stick.

Well, I have each of the maduros and while I did not plan to review them and so did not take notes...they were both very good. 9 had hints of coffee and cocoa, burning to a short nub. The 47 was a bit bolder with some spice, also burning to a short nub. No burn issues for either.

At this point I am glad of the order.
Glad They Were Good To You, Todd!. I'm Like You. Most Of The "Bargains" Are Crummy Sticks!
Old 03-03-2021, 09:55 AM   #5
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by longknocker View Post
Glad They Were Good To You, Todd!. I'm Like You. Most Of The "Bargains" Are Crummy Sticks!
I am looking forward to the other 2 now. If they are even close to as good as these, I will be glad to have made the purchase. I like the sticks I like, and I like trying new things. It is nice however when you can go out fishing, or sit on the tractor clearing the driveway, or when you out mowing you have a cigar - and let's face it, not pay 100% attention to it. BUT... it is a decent tasting cigar when you do pause to ponder it.

So, it appears these may be in the category.

Or, when you go to a pastoral conference and a few guys are mooching because the only smoke cigars around you, you can give them something that isn't going to break the bank.

Peace of the Lord be with you.
Old 03-03-2021, 09:57 AM   #6
longknocker
Postwhore

Cohiba

Quote:
I am looking forward to the other 2 now. If they are even close to as good as these, I will be glad to have made the purchase. I like the sticks I like, and I like trying new things. It is nice however when you can go out fishing, or sit on the tractor clearing the driveway, or when you out mowing you have a cigar - and let's face it, not pay 100% attention to it. BUT... it is a decent tasting cigar when you do pause to ponder it.

So, it appears these may be in the category.

Or, when you go to a pastoral conference and a few guys are mooching because the only smoke cigars around you, you can give them something that isn't going to break the bank.

Peace of the Lord be with you.
You Too, Brother! Do You Have A Link To These Sticks? Thanks!
Old 03-03-2021, 10:04 AM   #7
longknocker
Postwhore

Cohiba

Never Mind, Todd; I Found It. Which One Did You Like The Best? Thanks, Brother!
Old 12-27-2021, 08:59 AM   #8
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Can I post a panatela?

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
Old 12-29-2021, 08:11 PM   #9
borndead1
Ayatollah of Rock n Rolla

First Name: Mark
Trading: (7)
Partagas
borndead1 has a spectacular aura aboutborndead1 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Can I post a panatela?
Go for it, man!
Old 12-29-2021, 09:07 PM   #10
borndead1

Partagas

Bellas Artes Maduro lancero (7" x 40)

This AJ cigar was on sale for $55/box of 10. Normal price is $85. I rolled the dice.

Box pressed, dark wrapper with only a faint tobacco scent. Draw is juuuuuust a tad too tight, but not bad.

First few draws...this cigar brings the typical maduro flavors right out of the gate. A bit of cocoa, a bit of coconut. Nose exhale is quite smooth. Zero harshness.

About 1" in...very nice so far. A faint anise flavor has come in on the finish, which is a flavor I taste often with Nicaraguan maduro wrap cigars. Good burn with only one small correction.

Around halfway...dominant flavors are still the same, but the anise on the finish has become stronger. Burn has remained pretty good, with only one more small correction. The ash is almost pure white.

A little past halfway...no real twists and turns. Similar flavors both on the draw, in the nose exhale, and on the finish. The flavors are good, though. Nice smoke so far.

Toward the end...again, no major changes. Started getting a little bitter. I Let 'er die at around 1.5".

Final thoughts...at $55/box, I'm a buyer. At $85...probably not. But then again, this cigar has only been in my humi for a short time, so I may change my mind after smoking another one a few months from now.

Old 12-30-2021, 08:41 AM   #11
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by borndead1 View Post
Go for it, man!

Punch Mantua. I hear lots of complaints about the construction of these (i.e., the draw). Every one I have smoked has had a perfect draw, and they are spicy, earthy little flavor bombs.

Old 01-01-2022, 08:26 PM   #12
borndead1

Partagas

Quote:

Punch Mantua. I hear lots of complaints about the construction of these (i.e., the draw). Every one I have smoked has had a perfect draw, and they are spicy, earthy little flavor bombs.

Nice!
Old 01-01-2022, 08:40 PM   #13
borndead1

Partagas

Cuban Copy Sungrown lancero (7.5" x 38)

I grabbed a bundle of these on a blind buy as an addition to an order I placed with Cuban Crafters. These cigars appear to have been a vehicle to utilize some not so pretty wrapper tobacco. The wrappers aren't UGLY, but they ain't no $8/stick wrappers. Very faint tobacco smell to the wrapper. Good pre light draw.

First few draws...a little harsh through the nose; typical flavors for this type of blend.

About 1" in...not as harsh, but not fantastic either. A woodsy flavor is present. Good burn; white ash.

Toward the middle...pretty similar flavors. Straightforward tobacco through the nose with a woodsy finish. Good burn. Pretty Plain Jane cigar so far, honestly. Not bad but not great.

Guys, I ditched this one around the halfway point. It wasn't a bad cigar, and I'm very likely gonna try another one after a few months of humi time, but this one just ain't doing it for me.
Old 01-08-2022, 08:44 AM   #14
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

La Gloria MdO No. 4, one of my faves. Getting tougher to find, and super pricey even if you do.

Old 01-08-2022, 02:25 PM   #15
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann

Quote:

La Gloria MdO No. 4, one of my faves. Getting tougher to find, and super pricey even if you do.
If you have found them, at all, consider yourself lucky.
Old 01-08-2022, 08:37 PM   #16
borndead1

Partagas

Quote:

Man, that looks nice. It sucks that Habanos SA has all but abandoned the LGC brand (and long slim smokes in general).
Old 01-08-2022, 09:25 PM   #17
borndead1

Partagas

300 Hands maduro lancero (7" x 40).

The 300 Hands line is apparently made by AJ Fernandez for Southern Draw. I've tried (and liked) a few Southern Draw cigars recently, so I nabbed a fiver of this lancero on the Famous Smoke Shop auction site.

Good construction and draw. The cigar has a nice weight in the hand but a good draw. Rolling a good lancero ain't for noobs. The wrapper is a nice dark brown with no major blemishes.

First few draws...this cigar immediately shows typical maduro flavors and aromas. Unsweetened cocoa and coconut, with a bit of spice through the nose. The nose exhale is smooth with almost zero harshness. Nice.

Around 1" in...good burn with only 1 small correction. Flavors and aromas are still the same, but there is a nice sweetness that lingers on the palate between draws. I guess this could be caused by the wine I'm drankin' (a California cab).

Toward the middle...digging this cigar so far. Dominant flavors are still the same. Nose exhale is smooth and coconutty. Burn holding steady with no corrections needed. This is a well built cigar.

Around halfway...dominant flavors are still the same. Burn is still near perfect. I am really liking this cigar. As I type with the cigar between my teeth, the aroma coming from the foot is very nice.

A little past halfway...coconut flavor has all but disappeared, replaced with an anise flavor that I find a lot in maduro wrap cigars. Burn is still fantastic, and honestly it's the most impressive aspect of this cigar so far.

Toward the end...anise flavor is still present. There's a teeny bit of an unpleasant bitter flavor on the finish at around 2.5". Rather than continuing, I tapped out on this cigar at just over 2".

Final thoughts...this cigar burned almost perfectly and showed great aging potential. Gonna strip the remaining 4 nekkid and try another one in a few months.
Old 01-09-2022, 09:46 AM   #18
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by borndead1 View Post
Man, that looks nice. It sucks that Habanos SA has all but abandoned the LGC brand (and long slim smokes in general).
Agreed, Mark. Sadly agreed.

Old 01-25-2022, 08:38 PM   #19
borndead1

Partagas

Smoking another La Palina Illumination lancero. A couple of burn corrections, but otherwise a fantastic smoke.

Go ahead and buy some. I stocked up already.
Old 01-29-2022, 08:57 PM   #20
borndead1

Partagas

Smoking another Bellas Artes maduro lancero after a short humi nap since the first one.

The draw is a *touch* on the tight side, but the cigar is still producing a really nice amount of smoke on the draw.

Flavors and aromas haven't changed much from what I can remember. But this was a really nice cigar.