Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 03-27-2014, 08:25 PM   #461
gravel
Still Washing My Back

First Name: Geoff
Trading: (3)
HdM
gravel will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Gardeners in the Asylum

My wife started planting some stuff last week in our square foot gardens , but I haven't a clue what she planted. I'm usually more involved.
gravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 08:52 AM   #462
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

First Name: Chip
Trading: (17)
Partagas
hammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura about

Well, my plan to build some raised boxes today went to hell with the weather. Dammit.
hammondc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 09:17 AM   #463
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

First Name: Steve
Trading: (6)
HdM
Steve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud of

Same here. I'm just hoping ours doesn't float away...
Old 03-29-2014, 11:16 AM   #464
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

I'm waiting on Menards to ship some corrugated metal sheets before I rebuild my beds.
Old 04-03-2014, 08:15 AM   #465
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

First Name: Chip
Trading: (17)
Partagas
hammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura about

Got the beds set up and filled. Where do you guys get your plants/seeds? Any difference between big box stores and a local place?
hammondc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 10:26 AM   #466
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammondc View Post
Got the beds set up and filled. Where do you guys get your plants/seeds? Any difference between big box stores and a local place?
Probably not. Most local places carry Burpee seeds or the like. Friend of mine recommended rareseeds.com if you're looking for older, heirloom varieties.
Old 04-03-2014, 10:40 AM   #467
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

HdM
Steve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammondc View Post
Depends on if you are looking at Hybrid/GMO seeds or heirloom/non-GMO. Most of the local places around us, including the BBSs have hybrids and GMO'd seeds. We found a couple of small shops that have heirloom/non-GMO and have ordered from SeedsNow.com. Due to Holly's medical situation, we decided to go with as much non-GMO as possible and are sticking to organic.

YMMV .
Old 04-03-2014, 11:04 AM   #468
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

I gathered up all our seeds and soil and have had a date with Miss Weeze all week to plant, but we just can't seem to get it done.
I can skate for another week, but we really need to get them in by this weekend. I still need to go pick up some herb seeds, too.
Old 04-03-2014, 11:07 AM   #469
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13 View Post
Probably not. Most local places carry Burpee seeds or the like. Friend of mine recommended rareseeds.com if you're looking for older, heirloom varieties.
Jamie (jjirons) saves seed from a gazillion heirloom varieties. I do, too. I have a five gallon bucket of saved seed in the basement. If you guys are looking for anything in particular, just let me know and I'll drop some seeds in an envelope for ya.
If any of you guys want to grow some tobacco, just drop me a pm with your address and I'll send you some seeds asap.
Old 04-03-2014, 11:18 AM   #470
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

HdM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
Jamie (jjirons) saves seed from a gazillion heirloom varieties. I do, too. I have a five gallon bucket of saved seed in the basement. If you guys are looking for anything in particular, just let me know and I'll drop some seeds in an envelope for ya.
If any of you guys want to grow some tobacco, just drop me a pm with your address and I'll send you some seeds asap.
Scary thought...

Maybe I'm just gun shy...
Old 04-04-2014, 08:38 AM   #471
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

HdM

First fruit of the season!

Old 04-05-2014, 07:46 AM   #472
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Geeze. It'll be July before we get a tomato. I don't count green ones, though. Rookie!!!
Old 04-05-2014, 01:06 PM   #473
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

HdM

Quote:
Geeze. It'll be July before we get a tomato. I don't count green ones, though. Rookie!!!

It'll be red before long...
Old 04-07-2014, 10:22 AM   #474
Will herf for food

First Name: Mike
Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

Trying to root some apple tree cuttings so I can clone my favorite trees. Anyone ever use rooting powder?
Old 04-07-2014, 10:27 AM   #475
8zeros
What's this button do?

First Name: Roger
Trading: (0)
8zeros will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357 View Post
Trying to root some apple tree cuttings so I can clone my favorite trees. Anyone ever use rooting powder?
Cuttings are usually grafted. I've rooted some before but they died later from something.
Have to add that I didn't have too good of luck grafting either.
Old 04-07-2014, 10:48 AM   #476
Will herf for food

First Name: Mike
Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8zeros View Post
Cuttings are usually grafted. I've rooted some before but they died later from something.
Have to add that I didn't have too good of luck grafting either.
I figure I have nothing to lose. I trimmed some larger branches that were shading the middle or too vertical, and used water sprouts/suckers off the downed limbs. I'm probably going to be moving this summer and I want to take all three varieties with me. I have a Jonathan, Macintosh, and a Golden Delicious in my yard now.

I do want to try my hand at grafting too. I was going to wait a bit longer to give it a try. The snow here just finally melted so I'm just getting things moving.
Old 04-09-2014, 07:58 AM   #477
Django
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Django
Trading: (1)
HdM
Django is on a distinguished road

Quote:
And which tobacco variety would that be?
Old 04-10-2014, 11:16 AM   #478
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Cuttings are actually grafted on rootstock that's bred for specific areas.
What generally happens is that the roots from the grafted cultivar aren't strong enough, can't withstand the moisture, soil makeup, climate, etc.
It's much akin to trying to introduce a Largemouth Bass to the Atlantic Ocean.

What you CAN get away with, Mikey, is to graft your branch onto pretty much any kind of apple tree you already have growing. You can graft any number of species onto the same tree. The most I ever had was five types of apples on one tree.

Here's another thing...
Your apple trees you see grafted on root stock aren't normally grafted onto apple rootstock. In my area back home we used sickle pear rootstock because it was a wild rootstock that thrived in that area. Those trees grew anywhere, but were worthless for root production.

So there's a lot of things you can do that'll work, Mikey. You just picked the one thing that's doomed.
Ya know, if you can grow that thing out in a container with perfect soil and water, and the roots don't freeze and die this winter, you could take all kinds of grafts off it and put on other established trees.

I have a book here somewhere, if I can find it I'll give you a holler.
Old 04-10-2014, 11:17 AM   #479
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Django View Post
And which tobacco variety would that be?
I have Perique, Havanah 2000, San Andreas MX, and my own open-pollinated variety that comes from those 3 strains.
Old 04-10-2014, 11:18 AM   #480
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Last, but not least...
Steve!!! Tomato update!!!