Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-11-2018, 07:49 AM   #39
BlindedByScience
Proud USMC Dad

First Name: Tom
Trading: (0)
BlindedByScience will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Accuracy of salt test calibration

I didn't have much faith in the salt test until I quit using baggies for the test environment and started using mason jars. The difference in test consistency was nothing short of amazing. It's easy to check your work; salt test your hygro, then wait a few days and test it again. If you don't get a reading within a point or two, something is amiss. With a mason jar, I can always get readings that are well within the accuracy I'd expect.

The hygro I depend on most is the one in the controller in my Staebell cabinet. After a decade of solid work, I was pretty sure it was off and it got sent back to the controller vendor for a rebuild. Now it's back in business, ready for another decade. What convinced me it was really off...?? Not the hygros I have in the cabinet, though they were off quite a bit....rather, the feel and sound and way my cigars smoked, believe it or not......