Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 10:31 PM   #161
Genetic Defect
difetosso

First Name: Perry
Trading: (5)
VR
Genetic Defect has disabled reputation
Default Re: stirring the pot local B&M vs big internet

wow! Tab was a coke product. didn't know that.
Old 02-26-2009, 11:18 PM   #162
Raralith
Death to the Unbelievers

Trading: (24)
Bolivar
Raralith is on a distinguished road

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blind_experiment

Read the description for "Double-blind trails."
Old 02-27-2009, 05:31 AM   #163
Hardcz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raralith View Post

We're going to be like cigar aficianado!

Old 02-27-2009, 08:30 AM   #164
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raralith View Post

Are those for visually challenged hikers?

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
Old 02-27-2009, 08:38 AM   #165
pmp

Your differentiation between smoke shop and b&m is sort of muddled. By your logic most shops out there would fall under both categories depending on what brand you are referring to. Padron, Ashton, Fuente, etc...all require a certain intial box purchase followed up with a certain number of facings to become an authorized dealer. This binds you to their recommended MSRP and allows you to obtain alloted cigars In fact most cigar companies do. Unless you have a warehouse you can't really hope to become authorize for all non cuban cigars out there.

Just my .02, its not as black and white as you are making it out to be. I will say that I have noticed... and this is totally anecdotal. I have run across a few reps, Torano's come to mind, that carry cello wrapped sample packs for giving out at shops. To me these ALWAYS smoke better than the boxed counterparts....

not sure if its in my head. Maybe I'm just stoked to be smoking a free cigar. Maybe there is something to that.

Old 02-27-2009, 10:52 AM   #166
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmp View Post
Your differentiation between smoke shop and b&m is sort of muddled. By your logic most shops out there would fall under both categories depending on what brand you are referring to. Padron, Ashton, Fuente, etc...all require a certain intial box purchase followed up with a certain number of facings to become an authorized dealer. This binds you to their recommended MSRP and allows you to obtain alloted cigars In fact most cigar companies do. Unless you have a warehouse you can't really hope to become authorize for all non cuban cigars out there.

Just my .02, its not as black and white as you are making it out to be. I will say that I have noticed... and this is totally anecdotal. I have run across a few reps, Torano's come to mind, that carry cello wrapped sample packs for giving out at shops. To me these ALWAYS smoke better than the boxed counterparts....

not sure if its in my head. Maybe I'm just stoked to be smoking a free cigar. Maybe there is something to that.
I'm not organizing this trial, but let's just say that CI, JR, and Holts are the internet retailers (even if they do have B&Ms). All of the mom and pop B&Ms, and even places like the Tinderbox we will consider B&Ms (for this test purpose only, if it even is a test). I know that leaves out a lot of other places, but those are the two extremes.

Insert quote here.
Old 02-27-2009, 12:03 PM   #167
Genetic Defect
difetosso

VR

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
Are those for visually challenged hikers?
blind leading the blind?
Old 02-27-2009, 04:30 PM   #168
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmp View Post

Interesting observation. Maybe a Good B&M Owner knows how to get more of these Sticks!! Who knows?!

Old 02-28-2009, 12:52 AM   #169
pmp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend View Post
Interesting observation. Maybe a Good B&M Owner knows how to get more of these Sticks!! Who knows?!
From what I have heard, and I'm sure this differs from company to company but I don't think the reps are supposed to leave those with the shop. That said I have yet to leave a smoker where the rep didn't give a good portion of the remaining samples to the shop.

I'm sure we have some reps that frequent here. Maybe they could chime in.

Old 02-28-2009, 07:56 AM   #170
ahc4353

I'll ask again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahc4353 View Post
Question for the OP. Are any other guys that hang out with you at your Lounge members of CA? I would like to read their thoughts. Please link me if I missed their input.

Thanks

Old 02-28-2009, 08:00 AM   #171
CoventryCat86
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (0)
CoventryCat86 is on a distinguished road

I don't think there is any such difference between what you call "internet cigars" and "local B&M." There's just simply no way they can be segregated from one another during the distribution process.
Old 02-28-2009, 09:05 AM   #172
tedrodgerscpa
Palmetto State Herf Crew!

First Name: Ted
Trading: (87)
QdO
tedrodgerscpa has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanGAR View Post
I don't know how to run the statistics on that type of experimental design. Anybody???
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkim05 View Post
SPSS Analysis? lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mithrilG60 View Post
Nah, go old school....... miniTab.
SPSS is for girls....

SAS is the bomb

Don't you need those 5 1/4 inch floppy disks in order to run miniTab?!?

Everyday I'm shufflin...
Old 02-28-2009, 09:14 AM   #173
WildBlueSooner
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: James
Trading: (19)
AirForce (Served With Honor)
WildBlueSooner has a spectacular aura aboutWildBlueSooner has a spectacular aura aboutWildBlueSooner has a spectacular aura about

Everyday I pray that this thread will not have any new posts that I have to read and everyday there are more. Damn it people!
Old 02-28-2009, 11:55 AM   #174
mithrilG60
Feeling at Home

First Name: Geoff
Trading: (2)
Cuaba
mithrilG60 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedrodgerscpa View Post
Don't you need those 5 1/4 inch floppy disks in order to run miniTab?!?
Pretty sure I used 3.5' floppy's for it in uni, that was also 12 or 13 years ago but I'm sure that 5.25" floppy's were dead antiques even then Thankfully I haven't had to do any statistical analysis since I finished that course......
Old 02-28-2009, 12:19 PM   #175
Totemic
Still Watching My Back

Totemic is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoventryCat86 View Post
I don't think there is any such difference between what you call "internet cigars" and "local B&M." There's just simply no way they can be segregated from one another during the distribution process.
Indeed.
Considering there are so many other factors that can influence the flavor of a given cigar, it seems like an unlikely stretch to imply there's a conspiracy on the part of the manufacturer to supply B&Ms with "good cigars" vs. internet distributors with "bad cigars".

Following Occam's razor, it's probably as simple as: B&M cigars are either aged longer and/or stored in a more consistent environment than some internet cigar distributors (I suspect it's just a bit more aged since my B&M rarely move large amounts of cigars--I think the Oliva V's they got in about 6+ months ago are still sitting on their shelves).

I personally, have not noticed any difference in the flavor. And since these days I tend to gravitate to the same half dozen or so blends, I've been mixing various cigars from both my B&M and those I purchased online. For instance, my stash of Oliva V torps consist of about 2 boxes worth of cigars. I have one full box that I got from an online distributor and the rest are a mix of Vs from online and those I bought from my B&M when almost none of the online vendors had them in stock.

Ditto with my Oliva Gs, DPGs, Padrons, and Ashtons. I don't even think about where the cigars came from, just how long it's been in my humidor--I ususally try to grab the oldest first.
Old 02-28-2009, 12:20 PM   #176
Totemic
Still Watching My Back

Totemic is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Pretty sure I used 3.5' floppy's for it in uni, that was also 12 or 13 years ago but I'm sure that 5.25" floppy's were dead antiques even then Thankfully I haven't had to do any statistical analysis since I finished that course......
Damn youngsters..
I'm old enough to know what a 8" floppy disk looks like. I'm also old enough to know that if you have a hole puncher, you just turned all those single sided floppy disks into double sided floppies with twice the storage!
Old 02-28-2009, 12:28 PM   #177
Genetic Defect
difetosso

VR

Quote:
not in '93
Old 02-28-2009, 12:41 PM   #178
TheRiddick
Non-believer

First Name: Greg
Trading: (7)
TheRiddick will become famous soon enoughTheRiddick will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totemic View Post
Damn youngsters..
I'm old enough to know what a 8" floppy disk looks like. I'm also old enough to know that if you have a hole puncher, you just turned all those single sided floppy disks into double sided floppies with twice the storage!
My first job programming job I had to use keypunch machines/cards, floppies appeared years later with first PCs. Or maybe with PDP 10/11?
Old 02-28-2009, 02:26 PM   #179
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahc4353 View Post
I'll ask again.
Members of my lounge here? Not that I know of. Savor the stick went to the lounge a few times but has since relocated to orange county and never took part in any tests. Probably my fault. I haven't really shared the asylum with the botl there. However, this notion actually came from the guys there who had gone on trips to Honduras and the Dominican. I'll be on the next trip to Nicaragua in may. We will be guests of don pepin Garcia. I'll ask him directly and tell you what he says.

Old 02-28-2009, 02:40 PM   #180
md4958
Captain Cannoli

First Name: Moe
Trading: (62)
HUpmann
md4958 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend View Post
We will be guests of don pepin Garcia. I'll ask him directly and tell you what he says.
Its ok, I'll ask Don Pepin when hes at Habana Premium in Albany, NY on May 4th, and report back

"One fart can foul the air for everyone" - Esteemed philosopher
"If avoiding the nasty $hit is being a snob, them I am guilty as charged."- Same esteemed philosopher.
Closed Thread