Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 11-02-2009, 09:08 AM   #21
Mr.Maduro
In Domino Confido

First Name: Patrick
Trading: (83)
HUpmann
Mr.Maduro has disabled reputation
Default Re: Any Sports card collectors here?

I got a ton of stuff from late 80s early 90s. Autographs, sets, unopened boxes... I should probabaly take an inventory of everything and see what I can sell it for. I know I'll never get back the money I (Dad) invested, but at least I can get something for them.
Old 11-02-2009, 10:56 AM   #22
vankleekkw
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Kris
Trading: (3)
Bolivar
vankleekkw is on a distinguished road

I was a huge collector and still have a room full of all types of cards from the mid-80's to mid-90's. I can't wait until cards come back into popularity which should be right as the economy comes back from this little depression based on history.
vankleekkw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 11:11 AM   #23
WyoBob
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Bob
Trading: (1)
WyoBob will become famous soon enough

In 1962, right before we moved from Kansas City to Nebraska (I was 15 years old), mom threw out 3 shoe boxes full of bubble gum baseball cards along with a big stack of Superman and Batman comic books.

Thanks, mom.

WyoBob
WyoBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 11:41 AM   #24
gettysburgfreak
Patriot

Trading: (2)
RA
gettysburgfreak will become famous soon enoughgettysburgfreak will become famous soon enough

Baseball autographs and memorabilia have been a big hobby of mine since I was little. I used to collect cards but focus specifically now on autographs and memorabilia.
Old 11-02-2009, 10:37 PM   #25
wavescrashing
Unofficial CA Boli Ho

First Name: Mike
Trading: (19)
Bolivar MarineCorps (Active)
wavescrashing has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettysburgfreak View Post
Baseball autographs and memorabilia have been a big hobby of mine since I was little. I used to collect cards but focus specifically now on autographs and memorabilia.
Nice. I have a few pieces of memorabilia left, but I'm doing the opposite and getting rid of the rest of that. It's mostly just autographed balls and mini-helmets.
wavescrashing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 10:42 PM   #26
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

At one point a few years back I had about 80 game worn NHL jerseys. I sold most of them to finance gutting and re-doing my old townhouse. The rest were sold later to start my cigar collection. It was on a game-worn hockey jersey forum where I first took the username "icehog3".

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 11:21 PM   #27
acarr
Have My Own Room

Trading: (34)
acarr will become famous soon enough

I don't collect them any more. When I was a kid I did and still have a stack of cards from 80's and before. For years I have wanted to get rid of them. Maybe a cigar trade for one of you collectors:P

Last edited by acarr; 11-02-2009 at 11:28 PM.
acarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 11:24 PM   #28
Calexan

Quote:
Originally Posted by vankleekkw View Post
I was a huge collector and still have a room full of all types of cards from the mid-80's to mid-90's. I can't wait until cards come back into popularity which should be right as the economy comes back from this little depression based on history.

Boy i sure hope they do come back into popularity...... Money to be made haha.
Old 11-02-2009, 11:39 PM   #29
wavescrashing
Unofficial CA Boli Ho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calexan View Post
Boy i sure hope they do come back into popularity...... Money to be made haha.
Well, inserts aren't popular anymore, but autos and game-used cards from popular players sell pretty well.
Old 11-03-2009, 06:55 AM   #30
smitdavi
Ambassador of Quan

First Name: David
Trading: (9)
RA
smitdavi has disabled reputation

Got tons of Basketball cards. Lots of Kobe and KG (and other players that started around this time) rookies. Thinking about selling alot of them off for some extra cash. Although I feel like the value of cards has really hit rock bottom.
smitdavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 07:26 AM   #31
marge796
It Just Doesn’t Matter!!!

First Name: Chris
Trading: (28)
Cuaba Navy (Served With Honor)
marge796 will become famous soon enough

I have a bunch of signed jerseys & mini-helmets along with a bunch of cards. My entire collection is either from Steelers or Penn State players as far back as 1975.

Chris.....
Old 11-03-2009, 10:27 AM   #32
Calexan

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitdavi View Post
Got tons of Basketball cards. Lots of Kobe and KG (and other players that started around this time) rookies. Thinking about selling alot of them off for some extra cash. Although I feel like the value of cards has really hit rock bottom.
Same for me..... I really hope Kobe's RC goes back up.... I have about 15-20 Topps Chrome that I should send in for grading.... 1 or 2 have to atleast be 10's.
Old 11-03-2009, 10:30 AM   #33
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

First Name: Horatio Seymore Hiny
Trading: (8)
Bolivar
Blueface has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavescrashing View Post
The Ryan is from '68 and carries a solid value if in decent condition. I'd browse through just for nostalgia's sake.

Yes, another thing to throw in a bomb to you (no Lofton, but I'm sure I have some mets autos!). I did the player collection for a while of Dan Marino and Ted Williams, but only kept a couple autos and patches of each. I started an NFL HOF autograph collection a couple of years ago where my goal was to pick up one auto of every player. So far I'm at 131. Here's a couple pics of some of personal collection stuff.

That is a fantastic piece of memorabilia. I'd do the same.
That is some nice stuff you have there.
Old 11-03-2009, 10:35 AM   #34
kenstogie
following the whiterabbit

Trading: (3)
Army (Active)
kenstogie will become famous soon enough

I have some baseball cards from pre 88 into the 70's. Now they just sit there. If I decided to sell them what the best way not to get completely ripped off? Of course whomever I sold them too would have to make a considerable margin but....
Old 11-06-2009, 09:34 PM   #35
wavescrashing
Unofficial CA Boli Ho

Quote:
Originally Posted by acarr View Post
I don't collect them any more. When I was a kid I did and still have a stack of cards from 80's and before. For years I have wanted to get rid of them. Maybe a cigar trade for one of you collectors:P
You let me know what you have, and if I could use it, I'll definitely hook you up with some smokes.
Old 11-06-2009, 09:44 PM   #36
wavescrashing
Unofficial CA Boli Ho

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenstogie View Post
I have some baseball cards from pre 88 into the 70's. Now they just sit there. If I decided to sell them what the best way not to get completely ripped off? Of course whomever I sold them too would have to make a considerable margin but....
Ken, sorry for the late reply.
Fist, buy a beckett(price guide) specifically for baseball cards. Your best bet would be to look up the more popular players you have cards of from each of those years. Once you've identified the pricier cards, go to ebay, do an advanced search and check the "completed items" box. If it's a price you're comfortable with, then list it there. If not, you could then go to an online trading site such as : sports card forum and post a WTS thread. If you need any more help, shoot me a pm
Old 11-07-2009, 12:20 AM   #37
GHC_Hambone

I do collect cards and other memorabilia but mostly silly stuff or cool stuff I can get for cheap. A card store near me sells unopened boxes of hockey cards from the late 80's/early 90's for about 10 bucks. Me and my buddy will buy them and just have fun opening them and remembering all the players. I have a pretty big box full.

As for the silly stuff I collect, its mostly from players I liked and things like that. I have a Ron Francis Maple Leafs Jersey, an NHL 75th Anniversary jersey from Kellogs (I collect ANYTHING with the 75th logo on it) and my prized posession...

A softball autographed by Robert Lang lol
Old 11-08-2009, 03:26 PM   #38
heavyd
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Dave
Trading: (22)
RA MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
heavyd has disabled reputation

I have an autographed Ryan Leaf rookie Chargers jersey.. anyone want it?

When I was a kid, I had a huge memorabilia/sports card collection: Lew Alcindor rookie card, Stan Musial, Bart Starr, all kinds of stuff. I even had a baseball signed by all of the '73 Oakland A's. I gave all of it away to a neighbor kid 'cause I had a crush on his sister. Thought it would get me somewhere with her. Didn't happen

"You can't get to wonderful without passing through alright." ~Bill Withers
heavyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 04:06 PM   #39
RichardW
Committed

Trading: (10)
Partagas
RichardW is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoBob View Post
In 1962, right before we moved from Kansas City to Nebraska (I was 15 years old), mom threw out 3 shoe boxes full of bubble gum baseball cards along with a big stack of Superman and Batman comic books.

Thanks, mom.

WyoBob

Been there If it weren't for moms, the value of cards would plummet
Old 11-08-2009, 04:07 PM   #40
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueface View Post
Just remembered......anyone ever recall flipping cards against a wall to see who got the closest to the edge? Remember if you if you landed on another card it was "topsies"? If you leaned it against the wall, it was "leaners"? All would try to knock your leaner down. Whoever got the closest won all the cards tossed. We use to play in groups of up to 10 of us. They guy that walked away with the grocery bag fullest or shoe box full of cards ruled.

That all said, it is sad the cards I played that with. I don't want to name the names on my cards when I did this in the very early 70's. Makes me want to cry.
My dad used to stick his baseball cards in his bicycle spokes. He said he could have sold some of them for a lot of money. But when you're a kid, you'd rather have fun with them than lock them away hoping the value goes up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoBob View Post

Thanks, mom.

WyoBob
Been there, done that with the comic books.

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote