Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 01-18-2010, 04:59 PM   #121
Doctorossi
Have My Own Room

Trading: (8)
Punch
Doctorossi will become famous soon enoughDoctorossi will become famous soon enough
Default Re: The biggest waste of money cigar for 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvelinus View Post
Also didn't like the RP sungrown
You are not alone.
Old 01-18-2010, 05:55 PM   #122
Salvelinus
Have My Own Room

First Name: Brendan
Trading: (12)
Salvelinus will become famous soon enoughSalvelinus will become famous soon enough

Nice to hear. I read reviews of it after I tossed the second one and thought there might be something wrong with me.
Salvelinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 06:02 PM   #123
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Trading: (106)
Partagas
Smokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvelinus View Post
Also didn't like the RP sungrown
I don't like all of the RP Sungrowns but the petite corona is one of my favorites!!
Old 01-18-2010, 10:06 PM   #124
akumushi
Habanos Apologist

Trading: (11)
LGC
akumushi has a spectacular aura aboutakumushi has a spectacular aura aboutakumushi has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin Gator View Post
I don't like all of the RP Sungrowns but the petite corona is one of my favorites!!
I had one of the lanceros that was pretty good.
Old 01-31-2010, 06:31 PM   #125
bigheadmark
Uncle Jun, how was Boca?

First Name: MARK
Trading: (1)
bigheadmark is on a distinguished road

alright, here it goes...
I purchased like 12 Pinar Del Rios from FSS over two months ago...they came in a sampler...there were exclusivos, Havana and Oscuro..
They were soaking wet when i got them, so I dry boxed for a few days, and smoked a few..most of which I ended up being tossed after less than an inch into the cigar..
So, I thought, "maybe they're still too wet" so i put the remainder in my humidor and let them sit for a couple months at 65% RH..
I tried smoking a Havana, actually two of them, and I swear, I thought that maybe the wrappers and binders were treated with a flame retardant!!
they would not burn! I had to touch them up about every two minutes...
The aroma was good, but they wouldn't burn...!!!
the oscuro had the same problems.
the exclusivo did not have the burn issues, but I rate that cigar as mediocre at best.
bigheadmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 07:04 PM   #126
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

First Name: M.J.
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold

Cain Maduro, Consuegra #9
Old 01-31-2010, 07:28 PM   #127
TheGentleman
Just in from the Storm

Trading: (0)
TheGentleman is on a distinguished road

I had the same problem with the Pinars...very odd. They just wouldn't stay lit. My biggest disappointment was the Drac, however, I look forward to revisiting it next year.
TheGentleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 08:09 PM   #128
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emjaysmash View Post
Cain Maduro, Consuegra #9
WOW MJ...I really dig the Cain Maduros.
Old 01-31-2010, 09:10 PM   #129
ProBe
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Jose
Cohiba
ProBe is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by elderboy02 View Post
Opus X
I 2nd that!!
Old 01-31-2010, 09:11 PM   #130
Mr.Erskine
Looking up

First Name: Benjamin
Trading: (1)
Mr.Erskine is on a distinguished road

I was, honestly, unimpressed by the Liga Privada No. 9.. I know that I am in a minority, here... but we all like something different
Old 02-01-2010, 07:48 AM   #131
gbum
Feeling at Home

First Name: Asyraf
Partagas
gbum is on a distinguished road

nub connie just so so... but the habano is bluekh!.. give a try few times and end up with sour face... worst because i need to pay more for shipping than the cigar price itself...
Old 02-01-2010, 08:00 AM   #132
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin Gator View Post
Love me some RP Sungrowns.
G G is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 08:50 AM   #133
issues
Have My Own Room

First Name: Tony
VR
issues is a jewel in the roughissues is a jewel in the roughissues is a jewel in the rough

Everything I had from Alec Bradley (Tempus, FB, Maxx) except for the Tempus Magistri Maduro.

Also the LGC Series R #7 Maduro was one of only 3 cigars I have ever put down early.

The other 2 were not smoked in 2009 so I will not include them.
issues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 09:05 AM   #134
sodomanaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigheadmark View Post
alright, here it goes...
I purchased like 12 Pinar Del Rios from FSS over two months ago...they came in a sampler...there were exclusivos, Havana and Oscuro..
They were soaking wet when i got them, so I dry boxed for a few days, and smoked a few..most of which I ended up being tossed after less than an inch into the cigar..
So, I thought, "maybe they're still too wet" so i put the remainder in my humidor and let them sit for a couple months at 65% RH..
I tried smoking a Havana, actually two of them, and I swear, I thought that maybe the wrappers and binders were treated with a flame retardant!!
they would not burn! I had to touch them up about every two minutes...
The aroma was good, but they wouldn't burn...!!!
the oscuro had the same problems.
the exclusivo did not have the burn issues, but I rate that cigar as mediocre at best.
Haha, sounds like my issue too... Bought two fivers after hearing so much about them and the price was great at Famous... Had a great taste, just couldn't get the dumb wrapper to agree with me. Dryboxed one for a few days and it was a bit better, but still annoying. Months later after sitting, they're smoking ok. Got one left, but doubt I'll revisit once it is gone. Not a bad smoke at all if you can get it working right, though can't tell you when that will be!
Old 02-01-2010, 10:03 AM   #135
Addiction

Hmmm.

This will seem odd, because I gave this cigar a very high rating, like 9.3 if I remember.

However I would say the honor goes to the Cohiba Gran Reserva. I just don't get a $100 fresh cigar when I can get an aged OR Sig VI (assuming you can find them) or an aged Sig VI from the Cohiba X humi for a much much much cheaper price and be essentially smoking the same thing.
Old 02-01-2010, 10:20 AM   #136
mithrilG60
Feeling at Home

First Name: Geoff
Trading: (2)
Cuaba
mithrilG60 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addiction View Post
I just don't get a $100 fresh cigar when I can get an aged OR Sig VI (assuming you can find them) or an aged Sig VI from the Cohiba X humi for a much much much cheaper price and be essentially smoking the same thing.
Exclusivity and marketing to snob appeal, pure and simple. It's the same concept that drives super-car manufacturer's to produce hyper-car versions of their standard lines. A Reventon is just a Murciélago with a body kit, flat paint job and a trick digital dash yet Lamborghini priced it 4.5 times higher because of the extremely limited production.

There are a lot of people that buy into the marketing hype that surrounds brands like Cohiba, Opus X, Macallan, etc and will pay prices that are exorbitant compared to those products actual value just to have them. The Grand Reserva just takes it to a whole new level for Habanos SA. Interestingly enough, with the one exception of the 2003 LE Cohiba DC, I have yet to have one of these over-hyped products that even comes close to living up to it's billing.
mithrilG60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 11:01 AM   #137
Addiction

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithrilG60 View Post
......There are a lot of people that buy into the marketing hype that surrounds brands like Cohiba, Opus X, Macallan, etc and will pay prices that are exorbitant compared to those products actual value just to have them. The Grand Reserva just takes it to a whole new level for Habanos SA. Interestingly enough, with the one exception of the 2003 LE Cohiba DC, I have yet to have one of these over-hyped products that even comes close to living up to it's billing.
Actually I've had several of those things i think are worth it. I love all Cohibas and would say that certianly the Cohiba Middies, Reservas, DCs, Sublimes and Sublimes Extras are all worth the mark up. I'd even say that the Gran Reserva is worth some markup, just not the markup they are asking.
Old 02-01-2010, 11:25 AM   #138
mithrilG60
Feeling at Home

First Name: Geoff
Trading: (2)
Cuaba
mithrilG60 will become famous soon enough

Fair enough. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that their bad smokes (Cohiba as a brand, not specifically the Grand Reserva), far from it. Just that in my experience I've found that they just aren't the be-all and end-all of cigars that popular culture holds them to be and just can't hold up to the hype. There are several cigars that I'd choose every time over every Cohiba except the 2003 DC LE, that's the great thing about personal tastes... they're different for everyone
mithrilG60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 11:28 AM   #139
Addiction

Also as far as Opus X, I normally hate them all but the Lost City is an outstanding cigar!

And Macallan is pretty damn good scotch, tho I personally prefer JW Blue.
Old 02-01-2010, 11:35 AM   #140
issues
Have My Own Room

First Name: Tony
VR
issues is a jewel in the roughissues is a jewel in the roughissues is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithrilG60 View Post
that's the great thing about personal tastes... they're different for everyone
That is something I love about this site!

I have yet to see anyone give another person grief for enjoying a cigar they can't stand, unlike some other sites I have lurked around.

There are cigars in this thread that people really dislike and I love. I'm sure it goes both ways...

Open minds go a long way to making a site comfortable and enjoyable for everyone.
issues is offline   Reply With Quote