Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 02-20-2010, 08:18 PM   #41
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future
Default Re: Love of small cigars

I have 60 RG sticks in my humidor because I enjoy the Oliva Double Toro and the Taboo HSG Toro Grande - rich, velvety, smoke.

Of course, just got some more Cabaiguan Petites, at 32RG, a rather small stick.

It all depends on what I want to smoke at the time that will drive my choice for what size stick to grab. Sometimes it might be driven by time element.

I must admit though, there is something about just sitting back with a couple friends and enjoying a long smoke and a couple pints.

Peace of the Lord be with you.
Old 02-20-2010, 08:24 PM   #42
Col. Kurtz
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jerry
Trading: (26)
RA
Col. Kurtz has a spectacular aura aboutCol. Kurtz has a spectacular aura aboutCol. Kurtz has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Most of my cigars are 45 and lower these days, but when I first started smoking, everything was 50+

Making the switch from NCs to Cubans was the revelation for me. Now I would say that 42 looks just about average.

And yet HSA is going towards the jawbreakers....
Old 02-20-2010, 08:25 PM   #43
njstone

I agree with you guys in both ring and length. I started out "the bigger, the better!" but now I'm leaning towards thinner rings (love lanceros and coronas) due to the higher wrapper content in the smoke. I'm also tending toward shorter smokes (in terms of smoking time) because with babies in the house, I often just don't have a large chunk of time to commit to a big cigar. Sometimes I do need a nice big sucker, though.

This reminds me ... I need to get some more Petite Tatuajes, those puppies are good!
Old 02-20-2010, 08:28 PM   #44
njstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevSmoke View Post
It all depends on what I want to smoke at the time that will drive my choice for what size stick to grab. Sometimes it might be driven by time element.

I must admit though, there is something about just sitting back with a couple friends and enjoying a long smoke and a couple pints.

Peace of the Lord be with you.

Right there with ya, brother! Except for the pints, not much of a beer guy. But I love lighting up a cigar with friends and sharing life ... passing the Peace Pipe as it were. I think that's why God created tobacco.
Old 03-06-2010, 07:13 PM   #45
rhmalone
Still Watching My Back

First Name: R. Harrison
Trading: (5)
rhmalone will become famous soon enough

I'm taking the smaller RG plunge tonight, lighting up a CAO Mx2 Dagger. I generally gravitate toward either a toro or robusto but don't really have anything against lager or smaller sizes for that matter.

I'm anticipating a great smoking experience... after all it is a CAO.
Old 03-06-2010, 08:24 PM   #46
systm
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (3)
systm has disabled reputation

I love the smaller ring gauges, Robustos and lanceros seem to be my favorite sizes, for time and flavor. Petite Robustos are a close second but its not a widely made size, as far as i can see.

I thought all cigar sizes were rolled to have the same body and flavor?
systm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 09:15 PM   #47
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

I have been smoking some smaller ring gauges lately and have noticed that I need to smoke them a little differently. Smaller, less forceful puffs otherwise they overheat.

Once I learned this I started enjoying the smaller RG's more.

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 09:48 PM   #48
Mpython24

i'm with you man. Gimme somethin about the size of a permanent marker and i am happy.
Old 03-07-2010, 07:33 AM   #49
pitbulljimmy

I've said right from the beginning that I prefer my sticks in the 42- 50 RG size and not much bigger at all. I still think the Corona is the perfect cigar size. Ideal balance of wrapper to filler/binder. It amazes me that Habanos S.A. is gravitating to these giant RG cigars. You won't find me smoking many.
Old 03-07-2010, 01:54 PM   #50
Salvelinus
Have My Own Room

First Name: Brendan
Trading: (12)
Salvelinus will become famous soon enoughSalvelinus will become famous soon enough

With winter fading away I will be a lot more likely to puff away on some of the bigger sticks in my humidor. Found myself smoking mostly robustos this winter.
Salvelinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 04:15 PM   #51
TheGentleman
Just in from the Storm

Trading: (0)
TheGentleman is on a distinguished road

I love a great churchill or torpedo, however, I'm in the camp that just doesn't have a couple hours to dedicate to that kind of smoke. Lately, I picked up a box of Epernay Le Petite's and Cruzado Avalitos. They both have been fantastic and very satisfying. Both smoke close to an hour.
TheGentleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 01:21 PM   #52
gvarsity
still crazy

Trading: (15)
gvarsity will become famous soon enough

Mmmm the time to smoke any cigar right now would be nice. I'm to a point where anything bigger than a corona gorda seems huge. Years ago I started on robustos and for a long time a robusto or rothschild was my go to cigar. Then I went through a big Churchill, toro and large perfectos phase. Now I enjoy petite coronas, corona gordas and lanceros. I do feel like smaller ring gauges have a cleaner or more precise flavor profile than their corresponding large rg brethren. I have a couple of very large cigars I wish I had time to sit and enjoy. I have a couple of Litto Gomez Small Batch I I can't wait to try. They are some of the bigger cigars I will have ever smoked.
gvarsity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 08:58 AM   #53
Razorhog
Feeling at Home

First Name: Beau
Trading: (4)
Razorhog is on a distinguished road

Robusto 5x50 seems to be the best size for me - generally lasts about 1 hour, and has enough RG to keep the smoke cool. I do love some petite coronas though, the Pepin Black 1952's are a go to smoke for me.
Razorhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 09:04 AM   #54
rack04
Lebowski Urban Achiever

First Name: Justin
Trading: (20)
HUpmann
rack04 will become famous soon enoughrack04 will become famous soon enough

Wow! Not one post by DBall.

I smoked a jaw breaker last night. I have no clue what it was since it was gifted and unbanded but it had to be close to 52RG. It smoked very good so I couldn't have cared less about the RG.