Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 01-08-2011, 03:48 PM   #1
MrT

Default Humidor humidity level.

How long on average does it take the humidor to get to the proper humidity level?

I recently expanded, and don't recall how long it takes to even out to proper humidity inside a new humidor, with new mail order cigars.

This is my every day smokes humidor so it has some smaller cigars in bundles, thus I have more than the size of the box states (175-200), max 100-150 it said as far as capacity.

I seasoned it with distilled water in 2 shot glasses for numerous days inside my home kept at 65-75 degrees.

I then placed the cigars, and 4oz gel humidification container in there. After 1 day humidity inside was 48% and the gel was still fluffy, after 2 days I was pushing 50%, and here with re-arranging I added a couple 2oz containers. The next day I was at 51%, and I added another 2oz. Humidity today is at 52%.

Any ideas ?
Old 01-08-2011, 05:25 PM   #2
smokinpeace
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Brennan
Trading: (6)
smokinpeace is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Humidor humidity level.

You might need to wipe down the interior with a damp paper towel and distilled water.
smokinpeace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 05:34 PM   #3
Noodles
Adjusting to the Life

Trading: (2)
HUpmann
Noodles is on a distinguished road

It took about a week and around 6 gallons of water to start. Then I transferred my cigar and took another 3 weeks and a few more refill of humidifier of water to finally stabilized my humidor.

Humidity used to drop significantly each time I open my humidor. I don't get that much fluctuation after humidor and the boxes were properly seasoned.

I've seen people boil some water and immediately put the water inside a humidor. It seems to work for quickly seasoning a new humidor.
Noodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 05:37 PM   #4
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

Time to start over.

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=620
http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=619

Take out your smokes and store them temporarily in ziplock bags or tupperware.

When your humidor reaches 65-70% take out the water and let it sit for 24hours. If it stays stable at 65-70% you are good to go. If it drops down to 50% you need to check for leaks. Open the humidor a few inches and drop the lid, you should hear a whooshing sound as it closes. If it slams down, you have a leak.
Place a flashlight inside and look around the edges for light escaping. Add some painters masking tape in small strips where you see light. If you have a glass top you can close a dollar bill around the edges, if there is a spot where it slips out easily tape as needed.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 05:40 PM   #5
688sonarmen
Shipmate!

First Name: Jake
Trading: (17)
Bolivar Navy (Active)
688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice

I have never tried wiping down a humidor but have seen a good amount of information against it due to damaging the wood. You should check your seal by putting a flashlight in it and closing the lid checking for light to escape.
688sonarmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 05:45 PM   #6
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

I didn't have much luck with that gel humidification, I would get rid of it and go with some beads. That or maybe your humidor leaks like a sieve. Are you using a analog or digital hygrometer.

If I leave my coolidor open for 10-15 minutes it drops to 50 RH, about maybe 2 hours later it's back up right where I want it at 62-64 RH. Definitely shouldn't take days to bring up the humidity
Bill86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 05:53 PM   #7
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobarian View Post
Time to start over.

When your humidor reaches 65-70% take out the water and let it sit for 24hours. If it stays stable at 65-70% you are good to go. If it drops down to 50% you need to check for leaks. Open the humidor a few inches and drop the lid, you should hear a whooshing sound as it closes. If it slams down, you have a leak.
Place a flashlight inside and look around the edges for light escaping. Add some painters masking tape in small strips where you see light. If you have a glass top you can close a dollar bill around the edges, if there is a spot where it slips out easily tape as needed.
Bob is wise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 688sonarmen View Post
I have never tried wiping down a humidor but have seen a good amount of information against it due to damaging the wood. You should check your seal by putting a flashlight in it and closing the lid checking for light to escape.
Jake is wise too.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 06:20 PM   #8
MrT

Looks like it's a digital problem

Currently it's showing 62% on one digi hygrometer 63% on my calibrated digi hygrometer, and 51% on my desktop (small) house temp/hygro.

It's apparent now that the house hygrometer is off!
This explains why I never think it's dry in the house but this thing keeps telling me it is..

All is good
Old 01-08-2011, 06:25 PM   #9
captain53
Have My Own Room

First Name: Dave
Trading: (3)
captain53 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobarian View Post
Time to start over.

captain53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 10:46 AM   #10
Katmancross

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrT View Post
How long on average does it take the humidor to get to the proper humidity level?

I recently expanded, and don't recall how long it takes to even out to proper humidity inside a new humidor, with new mail order cigars.

This is my every day smokes humidor so it has some smaller cigars in bundles, thus I have more than the size of the box states (175-200), max 100-150 it said as far as capacity.

I seasoned it with distilled water in 2 shot glasses for numerous days inside my home kept at 65-75 degrees.

I then placed the cigars, and 4oz gel humidification container in there. After 1 day humidity inside was 48% and the gel was still fluffy, after 2 days I was pushing 50%, and here with re-arranging I added a couple 2oz containers. The next day I was at 51%, and I added another 2oz. Humidity today is at 52%.

Any ideas ?

I tried the HCM beads...4 oz for a 150 count humidor. The humidity had dropped because I hadn't paid attention to the hygrometer for a week. My Boveda packets were hard as rocks.
Within a few hours, the beads got it up to 65% and it's stayed there ever since. And remember, the beads require no water and no other humidification was needed. A bloody miracle!
Old 01-09-2011, 04:38 PM   #11
sammyboy405
Cigar & Beer Geek

First Name: Sammy
Trading: (3)
Cohiba AirForce (Served With Honor)
sammyboy405 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrT View Post
Looks like it's a digital problem

Currently it's showing 62% on one digi hygrometer 63% on my calibrated digi hygrometer, and 51% on my desktop (small) house temp/hygro.

It's apparent now that the house hygrometer is off!
This explains why I never think it's dry in the house but this thing keeps telling me it is..

All is good
I May have the Same Issue. My main Humidor has a Glass Top. And an Analog Hygrometer built into the front of it. Worked well for about a year. But not keeps telling me after about 3 days that the RH is 40 - 50% I cant find any leaks, and Ive started over with it a couple of times. I get a Swoosh from the lid when I close it.

I Dont understand the Dollar Bill Trick for the Glass Top maybe someone can explain it more?

But I think Maybe my main problem is my Analog Hygrometer. I bet I should go get a Digital and check it out.
Old 01-09-2011, 06:29 PM   #12
staminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinpeace View Post
You might need to wipe down the interior with a damp paper towel and distilled water.
Buddy. Don't do that. It might warp the wood. Just throw in a bowl of water for several days.
Old 01-09-2011, 06:32 PM   #13
688sonarmen
Shipmate!

First Name: Jake
Trading: (17)
Bolivar Navy (Active)
688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by staminator View Post
Buddy. Don't do that. It might warp the wood. Just throw in a bowl of water for several days.
688sonarmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 06:41 PM   #14
EricF
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Eric
Trading: (116)
RA
EricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to behold

The only thing I might add is if you want to speed up the seasoning process a little place a new, clean sponge (one that is wrung out with distilled water and place it on a saucer in the humi. This will give you more surface area for the water to evaporate. The sponge should be fully saturated. This will speed up the process by a couple of days!

Good luck Bro!
Old 01-13-2011, 09:18 PM   #15
MrT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katmancross View Post
I tried the HCM beads...4 oz for a 150 count humidor. The humidity had dropped because I hadn't paid attention to the hygrometer for a week. My Boveda packets were hard as rocks.
Within a few hours, the beads got it up to 65% and it's stayed there ever since. And remember, the beads require no water and no other humidification was needed. A bloody miracle!
Where can one purchase HCM beads ?
And is there better/worse beads?

Last edited by MrT; 01-13-2011 at 09:24 PM.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:44 PM   #16
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

You can purchase HCM beads (from me) at www.hcmcigarbeads.com. Better or worse is hard to define. I think HCM beads are the best, but there are many people who like Heartfelt (www.heartfeltindustries.com), which is also a good product.

Check out the websites, check out the various threads here to get more information and then order your HCM beads

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 06:05 PM   #17
MrT

Do you sell by the pound?

I have a fridge I`m turning into a big humi, and a handful of smaller ones I want to use this stuff in if it's "so great".

I'd want to try out with 1 or 2 pounds to start to spread among my smaller humis and then go big if it works as described
Old 01-14-2011, 06:35 PM   #18
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

At this time the largest size is 1/2 pound. The whole thing with these beads is exposed surface area, so the 1/2 pound bag seems to be an optimal size for the larger humidors.

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 09:27 PM   #19
MrT

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarNut View Post
At this time the largest size is 1/2 pound. The whole thing with these beads is exposed surface area, so the 1/2 pound bag seems to be an optimal size for the larger humidors.
Based on your website I would need 400 bucks worth of beads for my fridge

I don't mind the amount (8 pounds), and have the perfect spot at the bottom to lay them out with huge surface area, but 400 bucks and buying only by the 1/2 pound

Maybe I should stick with the electric method
Old 01-14-2011, 09:55 PM   #20
joeobx
just playing in the storm

First Name: Joe
Trading: (4)
joeobx will become famous soon enough

I have Heartfelt but I know a lot of brothers on here use Michael's/ Shailala beads. You have to look at it this way, it's a one time expense, there stable and no mold. You could spend 90-150 dollars for an oasis or similar device and it quit in a year or so and have to start all over again. Also if you search the threads about cooler/ vino s I think you might be able to get by with fewer beads than you think, but you can never have to many.

Just my

PS. before you ask or someone else suggests it, stay away from kitty litter.