Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 05-12-2014, 06:54 AM   #1
nutcracker
Shameless epicurian

First Name: Neil
Trading: (26)
Partagas
nutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nice
Default Cohiba Robusto

So this weekend was more or less the first decent weather we’ve had in about 7 months. I finally got to sit on my bench in the trees and light up a stogie. It was a bitter-sweet moment, as having just sold the place. I only have a couple more weeks to take in the view in my backyard.

So I picked out a Cohiba Robusto. More or less a “benchmark” for Cuban smokes, as it has a defined strength and flavor profile that is pretty consistent, and other cigars can be easily compared. It is medium-full and falls definably between the Siglo series and the Behikes. It is for me a typical habano, and the cedar is always evident.

The cigar has a clear claro wrapper, with no defects at all. Firm, well constructed. Burns perfectly to the nub. Lightup was easy and the cigar started out with very pronounced woodland flavours – the cedar quite dominant. Once it hits mid-stride, this is a very nice cigar – very complex nut, bitter choc and coffee flavours. My wife helped this along by bringing out some chocolate covered espresso beans and a cup of medium roast Cuban coffee. The effects were quite synergistic, and everything picked up. It did help that the beans were freshly roasted and the coffee made by pour-over in the Chemex.

The Cubano Altura Lavado beans (from our local roaster )offers a very nice medium bodied earthy coffee.

The end of the cigar started with a slightly more acidic and citrus note. The finish is long, and the flavor hangs around for many hours.

I would conclude that every serious aficionado has to have a few of these in the humidor as a point of reference. However they do not represent value for money in Canada, in excess of $30 on the retail market.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg robusto.jpg (117.9 KB, 194 views)
File Type: jpg robust2.jpg (111.3 KB, 196 views)
File Type: jpg kemmex.jpg (87.3 KB, 182 views)
nutcracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 09:34 AM   #2
Jitsupriebe
Just in from the Storm

First Name: Jay
Trading: (3)
Jitsupriebe is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Cohiba Robusto

Always a good smoke in my book! Have a great day!!!
Jitsupriebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 12:19 PM   #3
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

First Name: Darren
Trading: (13)
LFdC Navy (Served With Honor)
Subvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to all

That was the stick that pushed me down the slope.
Old 05-24-2014, 09:10 PM   #4
scottdurand
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Scott
Trading: (0)
scottdurand is on a distinguished road

I agree it's a benchmark.
scottdurand is offline   Reply With Quote